BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > First real life look: M2 Competition w/ M Performance Parts (thx to Misha Charoudin)

05-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #45
BimmerTroy
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
A body shop? As in they hand you a box with the CF roof in it and tell you good luck finding a body shop? Why not just buy the RKP roof?
Most BMW dealers don't have the tools to install a roof. So yeah they're pretty much giving you a box.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #46
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTroy View Post
1)The hood comes pre prepped for paint
2)Not official info on that just yet
3)The cf roof is installed at a body shop
4)no sure
5) price will be announced on a later date
And you're getting your info from who?

Last edited by hellrotm; 05-09-2018 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 02:46 AM   #47
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Wow I would love to get my hands on one! In for updates keep the pictures and info flowing
On my way to the Ring hahaha

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #48
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I just checked with BMW M.

ALL parts are fitted at the dealer! I will discuss this in more detail over the weekend, because I am also stunned by it.

MR
Appreciate 6
Poochie9104.50
ChrisK4450.00
Tag18156.50
Artemis29441.50
akkando5864.50
      05-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #49
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I'm not surprise the MP parts is going to be installed at the dealer; I've tried to get some MP parts installed at the factory; honestly, so I could roll it into the financing and also ensure a flawless installation but the dealer kept insisting that M Performance parts is an "aftersale" option.

Sucks.. But that's just how BMW rolls...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #50
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

ALL parts are fitted at the dealer! I will discuss this in more detail over the weekend, because I am also stunned by it.

MR
Wait...what! AT THE DEALER? Not even at the port? Well then...changes some things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm not surprise the MP parts is going to be installed at the dealer; I've tried to get some MP parts installed at the factory; honestly, so I could roll it into the financing and also ensure a flawless installation but the dealer kept insisting that M Performance parts is an "aftersale" option.

Most M Performance items can be installed at port, and you should be able to roll it into the financing. I did that with several items on my M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #51
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Quote:

MR
Wait...what! AT THE DEALER? Not even at the port? Well then...changes some things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Most M Performance items can be installed at port, and you should be able to roll it into the financing. I did that with several items on my M2.
Yea, I heard about the port installation option but I don't see it being much of a difference from the dealer doing the work. I prefer factory install or else I'll just buy the parts on my own terms and have a local shop or myself install them to my specs.

Also, everyone should note that the price is slightly different when the port installs it, as oppose to buying it on your own.

Don't believe me? Then try to build a vehicle on BMW's site then compare the price of MP parts VS the suggested MSRP, you'll notice a slight difference to cover the cost of installation at the port. #NoFreeLunch
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #52
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Port or dealer... I feel it could well be port if that is how BMW M Performance parts are fitted in U.S., but for us in Europe it is definitely dealer. we don't have a port system.

This means as well that M2 owners can fit those parts on their cars at the dealer. I will keep you posted when I know more and have discussed all questions in detail.

MR
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #53
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Port or dealer... I feel it could well be port if that is how BMW M Performance parts are fitted in U.S., but for us in Europe it is definitely dealer. we don't have a port system.

This means as well that M2 owners can fit those parts on their cars at the dealer. I will keep you posted when I know more and have discussed all questions in detail.

MR
So they said the carbon roof is also to be installed at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #54
MaxZ8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: -

Garage List
2023 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
So they said the carbon roof is also to be installed at the dealership?
The status quo of information is that all M Performance parts are installed at the dealerships.

Source:
Quote:

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #55
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

MR
No CF roof for me then....
      05-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #56
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:

MR
No CF roof for me then....
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #57
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks for info. US might need more clarification on port install. Although I don’t see why it would change, as you can get Mperf parts port installed currently.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #58
MaxZ8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: -

Garage List
2023 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Thanks for info. US might need more clarification on port install. Although I don’t see why it would change, as you can get Mperf parts port installed currently.
Does it make any difference for you? I mean the thing what annoys me the most is that i don´t want the new car to be tear apart no matter where or by whom.
I understand your worries that the dealers are not qualified to replace the roof; but is the port qualified?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #59
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxZ8 View Post
Does it make any difference for you? I mean the thing what annoys me the most is that i don´t want the new car to be tear apart no matter where or by whom.
I understand your worries that the dealers are not qualified to replace the roof; but is the port qualified?
Yes, for the roof there would be no install cost. Also you can inspect the work done before taking delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #60
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I guess, If you get the first allocation this is good news. I would only do the roof, I just think it looks great and would really set off a AW or HS car. I will wait and see on the price of the MPE.

At this point - I will make color choice independently of CF roof option. There might be more to the story, but I probably would not get the roof dealer installed with current info. Thanks MR for info.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #61
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I will have a decent talk with BMW M about it this weekend and ask them all the questions I can ask them. I will report back when I know more. My statement above was an initial statement following an initial question and call. As I offered you, I will come back to you all with a full answer once I have it.

Personally I am happy, I will take the roof and I can do it as soon as it is available. I will discuss with the dealer what the best process is and I will of course make sure that certain feelings here are taken away and are based on complete full facts knowing the full process on how the roof is fitted at the dealer.

Let's get more info before we all make a judgement. I feel that is the best option for now, and I will try to get as much info as I can and I will report back when I have it.

MR
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
///M Houbi1655.00
      05-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #62
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
I guess, If you get the first allocation this is good news. I would only do the roof, I just think it looks great and would really set off a AW or HS car. I will wait and see on the price of the MPE.
Not necessarily. There are number of parts I’d rather have installed at the port, like the body panels. Not paying for paint/install is a bonus and I wouldn’t want a stock hood sitting in the garage collecting dust. You also get advantage of inspecting work prior to final purchase of car. So there is still the dilemma of parts not being available until Nov.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      05-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #63
superawesomemegakittens
Rep
Drives: M2C deposit down

Yikes. Really unsure how I feel about the roof now. I liked it as a factory option, I don't like it as a port option.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #64
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Next to this, it also means that we will have this car at the N24 this weekend!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Wow I would love to get my hands on one! In for updates keep the pictures and info flowing
On my way to the Ring hahaha
Quote:
I am at Garching on Monday so I can ask there as well
      05-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #65
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
I will have a decent talk with BMW M about it this weekend and ask them all the questions I can ask them. I will report back when I know more. My statement above was an initial statement following an initial question and call. As I offered you, I will come back to you all with a full answer once I have it.

Personally I am happy, I will take the roof and I can do it as soon as it is available. I will discuss with the dealer what the best process is and I will of course make sure that certain feelings here are taken away and are based on complete full facts knowing the full process on how the roof is fitted at the dealer.

Let's get more info before we all make a judgement. I feel that is the best option for now, and I will try to get as much info as I can and I will report back when I have it.

MR
I just need to know one thing. If you order the CF roof does the car come with a roof skin or is it left off to receive the CF roof at dealer/port? If they need to remove the existing roof skin, I'm going to pass on it.

Thanks
Appreciate 2
MaxZ865.50
///M Houbi1655.00
      05-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #66
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Unless they've come up with a proper installation guide that we'd feel comfortable having the shop mechanics follow, I'd be worried about having the roof removed at the dealer.
Appreciate 0