BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Ordering the LAST OF THE N55s!

04-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #133
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Just grabbed a 2018 N55 M2 and absolutely loving it. Had a decent deal on it too. The package is just perfect IMO and I don't want to wait and pay more for only a little more power, adaptive suspension and questionable sound (at best). Balance is the name of the game and the current M2 is just so well balanced in so many ways.
What kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? Also, i don't think they're offering an adaptive suspension on the new m2. I think i can live with the sound as i wont hear it much while I'm driving with the windows up but i don't like the grills and the fact that it'll be so much more $$ once the brakes, seats and wheels get optioned up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #134
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Just grabbed a 2018 N55 M2 and absolutely loving it. Had a decent deal on it too. The package is just perfect IMO and I don't want to wait and pay more for only a little more power, adaptive suspension and questionable sound (at best). Balance is the name of the game and the current M2 is just so well balanced in so many ways.
What kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? Also, i don't think they're offering an adaptive suspension on the new m2. I think i can live with the sound as i wont hear it much while I'm driving with the windows up but i don't like the grills and the fact that it'll be so much more $$ once the brakes, seats and wheels get optioned up.
I got a total of $4,000 off MSRP: $2,000 dealer discount and $2,000 fleet discount. I called it a decent deal because I think it's possible to get even better dealer discounts these days especially if you're willing to wait a bit as you shop around and not too picky with your options.
      04-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #135
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2lees View Post
I just sold my Bmw M4 coupe, I owned it for 2 and a half years from new and it was a great car. But it was a tourer, the car felt big and felt heavy , the engine was powerful but the amount of useable power was questionable and the sound never excited me tbh . I test drove an m2 as soon as it was released and it was just so much more fun and felt like it wanted to be thrown around . I sold my m4 when I did as I wanted to get an m2 before the s55 was dropped in it as the overall package of the current m2 is perfect . My Lbb is on the boat now and should arrive at the dealers on the 12th can honestly say I don’t miss the m4 at all its more of a mile cruncher to me , a very fast and capable one but it was never a joy to drive , I loved the looks but it just never set me on fire
...That is EXACTLY how I felt. The comp package fixed a lot of that, but only became available after I got my M3. Every M2 I've driven feels lighter, more responsive and more fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 01:52 AM   #136
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Funny. The sound of the exhaust is literally one of the last things on the list that I would consider in a pros/cons when comparing an outgoing model to a new model with a superior engine. Purchase justification is what it is though.

After having owned a fully modified N55 and a fully modified S55, I wouldn't buy (and didn't buy) the M2 without the S55. If the M2 Comp turns out to be what is rumored, it'll be high on the list.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 05:31 AM   #137
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Funny. The sound of the exhaust is literally one of the last things on the list that I would consider in a pros/cons when comparing an outgoing model to a new model with a superior engine. Purchase justification is what it is though.

After having owned a fully modified N55 and a fully modified S55, I wouldn't buy (and didn't buy) the M2 without the S55. If the M2 Comp turns out to be what is rumored, it'll be high on the list.
Not sure who you're addressing this to, but sound was indeed the last thing on the list in my and M2lees's arguments . Your argument is based on modifying the engines. Maybe it just comes down to that. I for one never modified the engine in any of my cars. The current M2 unmodified to me is a beautifully balanced package and I wouldn't mess with it. I understand that many do and there certainly seems to be an argument there.

And there is no "purchase justification" in my case and many in this thread. I bought the current M2 less than a week ago fully aware of the M2 Comp.
      04-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #138
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Finally ordered mine yesterday. It's gonna be here in 2 months, I'm stoked and cannot wait

One of the last N55 M2s produced for EU due to engine loosing homologation from June onward. Production for EU stops at the end of May supposedly. Two different dealerships told me exact same thing and this also includes other engines and model ranges which didn't receive emission certifications yet.

They were really concerned that BMW might have to halt production of some models due to this and they might have a gap in sales.

Anyways, happy to finally join the BMW faMily
Appreciate 2
Al1969533.50
AngryBaby344.50
      04-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #139
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

BMW is halting production of some vehicles because of the new emissions laws. There will be no new 7-Series in Europe this year, for example.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #140
M2lees
Rep
Drives: Lbb m2 on the way

Quote:

I was on about the car as a whole package is well balanced , also sound is extremely important that’s what you hear more than anything! It puts a smile on your face. The s55 no matter how I tuned mine sounded like a box of farts. It may be different where you are but in England the f82 just wasn’t enjoyable, it didn’t scream M car to me. Just big power and torque and a nice place to sit , not balanced and inspiring. I found everyroad I was on other than a long straight I was thinking to myself it doesn’t feel fun or playful to drive . I never tracked mine and I imagine that would be amazing but it’s just not for public roads over here it’s just not what I was after , I need a fun chuckable B road racer what I can rev out

Last edited by M2lees; 04-06-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #141
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

I'm doing euro delivery for an N55 M2 on June 19 (for USA delivery ultimately). Looking forward to it, will probably be one of the very last.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #142
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Funny. The sound of the exhaust is literally one of the last things on the list that I would consider in a pros/cons when comparing an outgoing model to a new model with a superior engine.
Bmw is counting on more buyers not caring about how the engine/exhaust sounds - they'll just remedy with active sound.

For me, something inexplicable and primal happens when I hear the silky smooth hum of an in-line 6, the rip of a V8, the wail of a V10, and so on. Ever driven an electric car? Some of the fastest cars on the road, but such a disconnected feeling without the awesome sounds.
Appreciate 3
OG///M1003.50
bobert858.50
dmboone254972.00
      04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #143
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I need a fun chuckable B road racer what I can rev out
So you need a M2 Competition with the higher revving S55.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #144
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Bmw is counting on more buyers not caring about how the engine/exhaust sounds - they'll just remedy with active sound.

For me, something inexplicable and primal happens when I hear the silky smooth hum of an in-line 6, the rip of a V8, the wail of a V10, and so on. Ever driven an electric car? Some of the fastest cars on the road, but such a disconnected feeling without the awesome sounds.
This.

I could care less about performance if the car has bad sound or worse, no sound.

The experience of pure driving pleasure is the whole package.
Amazing handling, balanced power, chassis, size and last but not least, intoxicating sound.

N55 F87 delivers all this. You people getting the last ones have the right idea.

Last edited by OG///M; 04-06-2018 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 6
Transfer5257.00
Rupes1055.50
bobert858.50
Spa2k1194.00
KevM2723.50
      04-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #145
M2lees
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
So you need a M2 Competition with the higher revving S55.
No else I would of kept the m4 , the s55 might be a great engine on track but on the roads I personally use, it just wasn’t fun at all , if I short shifted I had the best fun and that wasn’t really fun because I couldn’t use the potential . That may be due to my skill or wish to live but as I say the f87 as it is is perfect to me
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #146
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:
No else I would of kept the m4 , the s55 might be a great engine on track but on the roads I personally use, it just wasn’t fun at all , if I short shifted I had the best fun and that wasn’t really fun because I couldn’t use the potential . That may be due to my skill or wish to live but as I say the f87 as it is is perfect to me
I dunno.. I've seen some people hoon on the m4 and it looks like you can have a lot of fun in it if you learn to anticipate the power delivery. Not knocking the f87 but I wouldn't mind having some "scary" power on tap if I could.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #147
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I dunno.. I've seen some people hoon on the m4 and it looks like you can have a lot of fun in it if you learn to anticipate the power delivery. Not knocking the f87 but I wouldn't mind having some "scary" power on tap if I could.
You missed the point. The current M2 does have scary power.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #148
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Does it though? I am being serious. I test drove the current M2 twice and drove a buddies 2017, one of the test drives was over the break-in period so I was able to have some fun.
To be honest, the car never scared me It was fast, balanced, and sounded spectacular but never did I feel like it had too much power. I got it sideways a time or two and played with some higher revs. I believe it would be enough for me if I Dinan Stage 4'd it but more/bigger is usually better(if the balance remains similar).
What I will possibly regret is the sound. N55 trumps S55 all day every day in the sound department. If I don't like the orange and/or silver 2019, I will order a N55 MG 6spd in May/June. I already have dinan quotes ready and waiting if I decide to forgo the Comp. APRIL 25th better get here with happy news and pretty color options!!!!!! If not, I am joining the "last of the N55 club"
      04-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #149
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
No else I would of kept the m4 , the s55 might be a great engine on track but on the roads I personally use, it just wasnÂ’t fun at all , if I short shifted I had the best fun and that wasnÂ’t really fun because I couldnÂ’t use the potential . That may be due to my skill or wish to live but as I say the f87 as it is is perfect to me
[QUOTE=mtoosexy;23022712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post

M3 CS probably the best choice for "scary" power ...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #150
M2lees
Rep

4 doors though
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      04-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #151
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Does it though? I am being serious. I test drove the current M2 twice and drove a buddies 2017, one of the test drives was over the break-in period so I was able to have some fun.
To be honest, the car never scared me It was fast, balanced, and sounded spectacular but never did I feel like it had too much power. I got it sideways a time or two and played with some higher revs. I believe it would be enough for me if I Dinan Stage 4'd it but more/bigger is usually better(if the balance remains similar).
What I will possibly regret is the sound. N55 trumps S55 all day every day in the sound department. If I don't like the orange and/or silver 2019, I will order a N55 MG 6spd in May/June. I already have dinan quotes ready and waiting if I decide to forgo the Comp. APRIL 25th better get here with happy news and pretty color options!!!!!! If not, I am joining the "last of the N55 club"
I don't think it does. Once in a while it surprises me but I wouldn't describe it as scary power. You need to be careful on steep hills, from a stop making a sharp turn, and when it's wet in any mode with MDM or everything off, but in the dry it feels controlled. I let a guy with an e46 330 drive it and to him even with both of us in the car he thought the power was ridiculous. That's not how I feel. I usually drive in Sport+ after the car is warmed up and the car pulls pretty hard up to about 75 mph in 3rd, but not in a way that feels absurd or frightening. After 80 mph it doesn't feel fast but it still gets to 100 quick relative to a normal car and it's easy to get there without realizing it.

In sport+ I think traction control is still restricting the car a lot as I feel like it holds back in first and brakes a bit for you when you take sharper turns. On a few occasions dropping the car to 3rd and stepping on the gas it just feels weak and I think traction restricted the car? Felt like just no boost. Only happened a handful of times, normally dropping to third and stepping on it gives you a surge of power you're going to feel, but not scary. I'm too much of a pussy to drive aggressively with everything off on the streets.

Once I had four people in the car and during an upshift the DCT shifted hard with that punch that seems almost broken and someone in the back said "that was a shit your pants moment"

I feel like the car is a bit better than the engine, which is probably for the best, it's quite a balanced package for better or worse.

I suspect with a down pipe and a stage 1 or 2 flash tune the car would feel perfect for what I want.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy730.00
      04-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #152
M2lees
Rep

I’m not a professional driver , I have a family and the roads in Britain aren’t open so it’s horses for courses
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #153
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

I purchased a Mineral Grey from the dealer, its Production 01/17 and they were asking over MSRP for it and after it didn't sell all year they started offering it to good customers at a huge discount and thanks to having a friend there i got first refusal. so i will be putting it away in to a nice cosey garage. if i get a good offer i will sell it. if not i will let it sleep until values rises. FYI the car isn't even registered so if anyones interested i can export the car at the right price.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #154
M2lees
Rep

Discounts in the uk are strong I got a 54k car for 43k
Appreciate 0