BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > I don't understand BMW's ordering system

07-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
mattschu
Rep
Drives: Manual LBB 2018 M2

I don't understand BMW's ordering system

I've been waiting to put an order in for a 2018 M2 since April. I didn't receive my allocation until mid-June, which I believe is when the allocations first became available (from what I've read here on the forum).

According to BMW Genius, my production week is 37 and my car won't arrive until October since I'm on the west coast. So, even though I received an allocation within the first few days of them becoming available, my car won't arrive until almost 4 months after MY18 production has started.

Is the only way to get the LCI model early (July/Aug) is if you had a MY17 on order and it happened to get switched to an 18? I'm fine with waiting and I know that some people have been waiting much longer than I have, I just would like to understand why they don't release allocations earlier. Could someone please explain this to me? Is there a way for me to get the new MY earlier than October on my next BMW purchase?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Allocations are released quarterly - it just depends on the build week of the allocation your dealer gave you.
      07-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
mattschu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Allocations are released quarterly - it just depends on the build week of the allocation your dealer gave you.
So is it just luck of the draw on the build week you're assigned? Because as far as I know I received an allocation from the first batch of allocations given. It seems hard to believe that my order could've been pushed back that far due to so many other allocations being put in before mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattschu View Post
So is it just luck of the draw on the build week you're assigned? Because as far as I know I received an allocation from the first batch of allocations given. It seems hard to believe that my order could've been pushed back that far due to so many other allocations being put in before mine.
Not sure how the 'luck of the draw' is determined but when the third quarter allocations are released in June, it's totally normal for some ppl to get July builds, some to get August, and for some to get Sept. I don't think those who requested allocations earlier necessarily get earlier build weeks.
      07-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
It's possible that you got the first allocation at your dealer. BMW hands them out, and I don't believe that the dealer have any influence on this. Essentially BMW assigns build weeks to dealers and even though it seems late it still might have been the first at your particular dealer. It's luck of the draw or however they do their allocation method.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

It helps to have a CA who stays glued to his computer and jumps immediately when the allocations are released. That's how I got Week 27.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a way for me to get the new MY earlier than October on my next BMW purchase?
This is more general, not particular to M2, the SOP (start of production) for a Model Year may begin in months other than July or August, and on models that don't have scarce allocations you could get the next MY as early as 60-90 days after SOP.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
mattschu
Rep

Got it, thanks for the feedback. I was referred to a CA by a friend but he hasn't really been on top of everything as I've had to continue reaching out to him for updates. That wouldn't surprise me if he was slow to jump on an early allocation slot which caused my production week to be later. Really frustrating if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
^^ That's not how it works.

The "allocation slots" are equivalent to "production week." An allocation for a dealer is basically a "production spot in line at a specific time." As others have said, the allocations are handed out by BMW, not sure if anyone knows what the rhyme/reason behind the order is. Speculation is that higher volume or "better" dealers get earlier and/or more slots... but that's speculation and I don't think anything else has been confirmed.

I was the only person in line to order at one of two local dealers, and they were able to get me an allocation slot before anything from the other much-higher-volume dealer, where I was 5th on that list.

I'm week 37 as well... because that was where the allocation slot was that my dealer received.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0