BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS not found after winter wheel swap

12-05-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
TPMS not found after winter wheel swap

Hi all,

The first couple of winters when I switched over to the winter wheel/tire set in my OG M2, all I had to do to have the TPMS working properly was do a reset on the first drive and all was good. Same with the swap back to the stock setup in summer. The last two years, though, the system doesn't find any of the sensors in my winter wheels so I get the warning every time I drive the car.

This year I bought an Autel TS508 to see if I could determine the problem (and one in our other car as well), but when I tried to trigger the sensors nothing happened. I'm new to the tool so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it found the sensors on our 4runner just fine. I suppose it's possible that all 4 batteries are dead, but that seems unlikely when all of the sensors were new when I bought them in late 2016. I read that the sensors can go to sleep when not moved for a certain period of time, but thought the trigger function on the Autel would wake them up, which it didn't.

Any thoughts on what to try next?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 01:59 AM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Wish I had anything for you, but I just have to do a reset and they work. I think I have Huf sensors in the winters.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #3
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Yeah, that's the weird part to me - it worked like that initially, and then not at all. One or two sensors going down would be understandable, but all four?

I'm not sure what brand they are, they came directly from Apex with the wheels. But regardless, they worked for 2+ years with no issues.
Appreciate 0