BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Who's gonna be the first to install M2C mirrors on OG M2?

09-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #89
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
i still would like to be able to buy oem m2c side mirrors and have them retrofitted on my og m2. I wonder if the dealer can do it, even if i pay for the labor
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #90
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack@AUTOID View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipersix View Post
How is the fitment on the new autoid sidemirrors? Do u guys know if the oem cf covers from bmw m2c fit those?
I would say fitment is as good as OEM.

The OEM covers won't fit this unit as the fittings are different. This is a completely bespoke unit.
Hi Jack. Are you able to provide some insight on the gap of the "wingtip" to the A pillar, specifically the difference in the gap from the left and right side?? For context, I have seen photos on IG showing a noticeable difference in the gap when comparing left and right sides of this product. See pics below...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN17690.50
      09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #91
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Hi Jack. Are you able to provide some insight on the gap of the "wingtip" to the A pillar, specifically the difference in the gap from the left and right side?? For context, I have seen photos on IG showing a noticeable difference in the gap when comparing left and right sides of this product. See pics below...
I'll look into this but I am led to be believe this because of the length of the bracket that the mirror unit attaches too - rather than the design of the new unit. We've seen this before with our M style caps.

Would you mind sharing the instagram post so I can look into it?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #92
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
May just be camera angle or optical illusion but to me it looks like one fin is longer than the other.
      09-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #93
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
May just be camera angle or optical illusion but to me it looks like one fin is longer than the other.
That's camera angle. The mirror caps are identical for each side, just flipped!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #94
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
That's camera angle. The mirror caps are identical for each side, just flipped!
Thanks for the clarification Jack. They are sweet looking!
      09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #95
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll look into this but I am led to be believe this because of the length of the bracket that the mirror unit attaches too - rather than the design of the new unit. We've seen this before with our M style caps.

Would you mind sharing the instagram post so I can look into it?
Unfortunately I can't share a post because the pics were sent to me directly through IG as an IM and not posted for public viewing ...unless someone can tell me how to do that...I'm not very good with IG I guess, lol

FYI, I'm not in any way trying to disparage these parts or your shop, I just want to understand if the gap is something to be expected (that can ultimately be corrected/adjusted) or if it was user error on the install in this specific case.

I have asked the user to measure the gaps on each side to eliminate camera angle as possible cause...will report back if/when I hear back from him
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #96
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't share a post because the pics were sent to me directly through IG as an IM and not posted for public viewing ...unless someone can tell me how to do that...I'm not very good with IG I guess, lol

FYI, I'm not in any way trying to disparage these parts or your shop, I just want to understand if the gap is something to be expected (that can ultimately be corrected/adjusted) or if it was user error on the install in this specific case.

I have asked the user to measure the gaps on each side to eliminate camera angle as possible cause...will report back if/when I hear back from him
Oh no of course not, didn’t ever think you were aiming to disparage. I am curious myself! Let us know what you hear back.

I can confidently say it’s not the new mirror units that are like that though - I believe it’s the brackets. But it definitely deserves investigation!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #97
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok...here's a few more pics showing the gap differences from my "source", unfortunately he did not have a ruler handy. There is definitely a difference and it is not camera angle. I believe this car is in Asia as it is RHD. Not sure if that has anything to do with the gap diffs?? Interested in your thoughts Jack...

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #98
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Quote:
Ok...here's a few more pics showing the gap differences from my "source", unfortunately he did not have a ruler handy. There is definitely a difference and it is not camera angle. I believe this car is in Asia as it is RHD. Not sure if that has anything to do with the gap diffs?? Interested in your thoughts Jack...

It's maybe worth measuring the gap at the bottom of the mirror covers, rather than the top. I wonder if BMW have designed the mirror brackets on right hand drive cars to be different on left compared to the right - Sounds bonkers I know.

If I get a chance tomorrow morning I will measure the gaps on my OG RHD car.

MJ
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      09-24-2018, 03:34 AM   #99
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I think this is because of the bracket.

I believe BMW angle the bracket of the passenger side mirror differently. I don't have an M2 here at the moment to test but I should be able to later in the week if no one else is able to before then!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #100
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Just measured the gaps between the mirror surrounds and the A pillar on a RHD car, the difference in distance on OG M2 Mirrors between left and right is around 10 - 15mm. So, conclusive proof the brackets are that way by design from the factory.

Not noticeable from a distance as there is no real eference point but the minute you put the new mirrors on the gap will be reduced and it will be much more noticeable.

The query is ? Will both mirrors be made the same so the gap is noticeable or will one be made wider than the other to address the gap.

Tough call to make being honest.

MJ
Appreciate 1
F87_LCI1787.00
      09-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #101
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Question is how is it on the oem mirrors
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #102
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How does BMW compensate for this on the M2C/M3/M4? or do they? I can't see them producing the cars with differences in the gaps on either side...

...was just thinking about this a little more...if the driver's side mirror is a little farther away from the a-pillar than the passenger mirror, that means the larger gap on a LHD car would be on the left side mirror (orientation from rear), and if the AUTOID mirror covers were designed with this in mind (to compensate on a LHD set up), then wouldn't the effect be exaggerated (with opposite effect) when putting them on a RHD car? Meaning on a RHD the gap would be increased on the right (drivers) side and reduced on the left (passengers) side...guess I will find out when I put them on my LHD car!

Last edited by F87_LCI; 09-24-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #103
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How does BMW compensate for this on the M2C/M3/M4? or do they? I can't see them producing the cars with differences in the gaps on either side...

...was just thinking about this a little more...if the driver's side mirror is a little farther away from the a-pillar than the passenger mirror, that means the larger gap on a LHD car would be on the left side mirror (orientation from rear), and if the AUTOID mirror covers were designed with this in mind (to compensate on a LHD set up), then wouldn't the effect be exaggerated (with opposite effect) when putting them on a RHD car? Meaning on a RHD the gap would be increased on the right (drivers) side and reduced on the left (passengers) side...guess I will find out when I put them on my LHD car!
BMW Address this by having different sized points on LHD & RHD M cars. It’s why you can’t buy genuinely LHD mirror caps for RHD cars here in the UK.

Unfortunately we aren’t in position to develop 2 variations because the cost is extraordinary. 1 mould is around $38,000.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #104
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
BMW Address this by having different sized points on LHD & RHD M cars. It’s why you can’t buy genuinely LHD mirror caps for RHD cars here in the UK.

Unfortunately we aren’t in position to develop 2 variations because the cost is extraordinary. 1 mould is around $38,000.
you guys design and develop these?
ive been skeptical as ive been seeing chinese vendors with the same product within days of your announcement for a couple of bucks less.

btw, thanks for the shipping confirmation, will report back with a couple of photos when i get them
      09-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #105
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:

I know the Ford gt has passenger mirror further away from Apillar
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #106
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I measured the mirror to A-pillar gap on my OG last night...depending on where you measure from it's all over the place, but safe to say that they are NOT identical on each side. For the most part, the Driver's mirror (LHD) was about 1 1/4 cms (half inch) further from the A-Pillar than the passenger mirror at the base. Really wish these covers would show up so I could install and see for myself... @Jack@AUTOID ...hint hint
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #107
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Received my shipped notification on my carbon fiber version today - i’ll try to get them installed ASAP. Will post pics
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #108
AutoID
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
you guys design and develop these?
ive been skeptical as ive been seeing chinese vendors with the same product within days of your announcement for a couple of bucks less.

btw, thanks for the shipping confirmation, will report back with a couple of photos when i get them
Yeah, we developed the mould using 3D scans of an M3 Mirrors.

The Chinese are notorious for ‘sharing’ designs and these could well be a copy. I’ll need to look into it to be honest. Any patents or registered designs aren’t worth the paper their written on in China unfortunately. Companies like Vostiener, Mode & PSM experience the same issue. Any carbon fibre versions of the new mirrors you’ll see though will probably be ABS plastic skinned in carbon.

We’re just finishing the tooling for our pre-preg Carbon Fibre version - shipping is due to start Nov.
Appreciate 1
Who?484.50
      09-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #109
AutoID
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboen View Post
Received my shipped notification on my carbon fiber version today - i’ll try to get them installed ASAP. Will post pics
Hey buddy. Drop me a PM. Want to make sure this is correct as I have been on a mission today dispatching items and were not shipping Our carbon version just yet - so this might be a mistake
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #110
davekt
Rep
Drives:

I also got a shipment notification for the carbon units, hope its not a mistake
Appreciate 0