BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Transmission

10-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
From the spy pictures/video, it seems that the driver isn't doing any shifting.

Get one pedal less, pay more.

10-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #46
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
Gosh I really hope this report is wrong. I read the article over dinner and it really disappointed me. I drive 100 miles a day with heavy traffic at times, so the last thing I want is a traditional manual transmission. The DCT in my 335is is the nicest transmission I've ever driven (well tied with PDK), it is silky smooth when cruising or slugging in traffic, but a responsive monster in the canyons.

I think it is foolish overall for BMW to limit this car to manual only. Sure, many people will be cross shopping this with the more expensive M4 (including me), but I also stand to reason that many will say forget it and look elsewhere for their 'daily driver, do everything' car. If this car is offered with a DCT, I reckon it will make up >75% of sales of the M2. It's simply the best of all worlds.

You know what really bums me the most is the people who say "Good, screw anything that's not a manual and those that wouldn't buy one". Some people will of course prefer a stick to their graves, but why deny other enthusiasts the option of something they'll enjoy? It's not like the automatic guys are shoving it in your face that manuals aren't being offered on some cars, we just like what we like and mind our own business. Overzealous Manual purists are too busy trying to prove something, instead of enjoying theirs cars
      10-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #47
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
Gosh I really hope this report is wrong. I read the article over dinner and it really disappointed me. I drive 100 miles a day with heavy traffic at times, so the last thing I want is a traditional manual transmission. The DCT in my 335is is the nicest transmission I've ever driven (well tied with PDK), it is silky smooth when cruising or slugging in traffic, but a responsive monster in the canyons.

I think it is foolish overall for BMW to limit this car to manual only. Sure, many people will be cross shopping this with the more expensive M4 (including me), but I also stand to reason that many will say forget it and look elsewhere for their 'daily driver, do everything' car. If this car is offered with a DCT, I reckon it will make up >75% of sales of the M2. It's simply the best of all worlds.

You know what really bums me the most is the people who say "Good, screw anything that's not a manual and those that wouldn't buy one". Some people will of course prefer a stick to their graves, but why deny other enthusiasts the option of something they'll enjoy? It's not like the automatic guys are shoving it in your face that manuals aren't being offered on some cars, we just like what we like and mind our own business. Overzealous Manual purists are too busy trying to prove something, instead of enjoying theirs cars
Here here!!

The manual boys really need to get off their high horse when it comes to looking down on anyone wanting a DCT, it's just boring and repetitive now. Some of us have wives that prefer auto for driving to work etc, I prefer paddles and both hands on the wheel when pushing on, it makes us no less of a petrol head or any less a good driver for not choosing to use our left leg to clutch.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #48
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Who the hell cares guys? All this commotion over a silly article. There is so much speculation at this point with almost no concrete evidence
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #49
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Who the hell cares guys? All this commotion over a silly article. There is so much speculation at this point with almost no concrete evidence
It's because of the quote from the BMW M dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #50
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

When it comes to holding boost through the shift point, there is nothing like M-DCT.

The old guys wish they were so lucky back in their day.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #51
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It's because of the quote from the BMW M dude.
Yea but he didn't come out and actually say it's a one choice transmission either. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 1M and M2 are 2 completely different models in terms of production. I'd be SHOCKED if it was only offered with MT.

Btw, it looks like there's going to be a mass European Delivery for the M2 like there was for the M3/4. I'd for sure be interested in doing that and meeting more forum members. It seriously will be an event of a lifetime.

You know you can't do that with a Corvette right
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #52
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What I took from the M boss quote is that they are looking at ways of distinguishing the M2 from the M4, not that 100% they are going to do manual only.

I'm not too worried! It would cost them too many customers to offer it manual only, especially since this car isn't expected to have a limited production run like the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #53
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
+1

I would be shocked if it were manual-only though. I expect a long option list, including DCT. Check all the boxes and you'll be at or over M3/M4 base pricing.

Quote:
Btw, it looks like there's going to be a mass European Delivery for the M2 like there was for the M3/4. I'd for sure be interested in doing that and meeting more forum members. It seriously will be an event of a lifetime.
Hey now, that sounds interesting. Hadn't heard of a mass delivery forming...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #54
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Yea but he didn't come out and actually say it's a one choice transmission either. Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The 1M and M2 are 2 completely different models in terms of production. I'd be SHOCKED if it was only offered with MT.

Haha well you can do something similar - but it sure as hell wouldn't be as epic. I watched a video online of a guy picking up his M4. It gave me goosebumps.

Idk if I would...

Because it would be pretty embarrassing once I break down in tears at first sight.

In all seriousness, I've never been to Germany, and that would be an experience that I'd cherish for the rest of my life.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #55
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I'd absolutely be up for a mass euro delivery when it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #56
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakdown61 View Post
I'd absolutely be up for a mass euro delivery when it comes out.
Me too. Just talked to the dealer today.
      10-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #57
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Now if they just drop the idrive and silly screen you would have a great car for me. If they only do one gearbox. MT is the right one. I hope it's true! 1M clutch and trans were great. The analog nature was what made it special. BMW already has 100 other automatic offerings and most outside US would want a manual in this type of car!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #58
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Now if they just drop the idrive and silly screen you would have a great car for me. If they only do one gearbox. MT is the right one. I hope it's true! 1M clutch and trans were great. The analog nature was what made it special. BMW already has 100 other automatic offerings and most outside US would want a manual in this type of car!
I totally disagree. Outside of the US and Canada, E9X M3 DCT outsold the 6MT 2 to 1. With the M2 being the entry level M car for the youngsters, I believe the DCT will also outsell a 6MT. BMW doesn't care about the enthusiasts. It's all about sales and profit.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #59
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Just to keep things balanced a bit, [not looking for an argument here--just some balance ] ---- an enthusiast ought not be defined by a manual trans any more than saying someone buying an M3 with four doors is a poof.

Manual may be one preference among many preferences. But so does the need to drive a DD in traffic with ZF or DCT ease, and hit the twisties on the weekends.

In days gone by, side curtains defined the real sports cars [been there, yes am that old] and roll up windows? were for the frivolous gits--not for real drivers.

And sales and profits [gotta love them] keep not only the brand alive but anything close to performance cars still on the assembly line--instead of being eliminated.

Hopefully, BMW staff ARE reading all these debates--wishful maybe---but if so, they will hear the need for full options on those transmissions. Keep those sales up BMW, the world awaits.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #60
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well for whatever reason the 1M was manual only and it didn't have any problems selling. Yes, it was a limited run but the demand was so high they could have produced for 2 years and it would have still had high demand. To BMW its not about selling more cars, its about not taking sales away from higher profit margin cars like the M3/M4.

We can debate all day about how people will just go to another brand but only BMW has the actual numbers and pay guys to make that conclusion based on statistical trends, not forum responses..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #61
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha well you can do something similar - but it sure as hell wouldn't be as epic. I watched a video online of a guy picking up his M4. It gave me goosebumps.

Idk if I would...

Because it would be pretty embarrassing once I break down in tears at first sight.

In all seriousness, I've never been to Germany, and that would be an experience that I'd cherish for the rest of my life.
Well I know Chevy have their own delivery program. But would you rather go to Europe or... Kentucky. Along with some hardcore car guys that have been in the same situation as you (aka waiting 2 bloody years for this car), while getting to drive some of the most legendary tracks in the world.

That alone, is enough for me to go M2 over an F80

This trip would seriously be something you remember for the rest of your life. Btw, I've been to Germany, and it was a blast. Now imagine how fun it would be to see 20-30 other M2's convoying to the Nurburgring
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #62
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Euro delivery is a bit off topic, but I strongly encourage anyone to take the opportunity.

On June 22, BMW Canada coordinated simultaneous delivery for 15 Canadians picking up M3s and M4s.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526

I had the privilege of receiving the first 2 series delivered at the Welt, on March 8. Also tagged along when my buddy took Euro delivery of his 128i in 2011.

Unforgettable.
      10-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #63
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Euro delivery is a bit off topic, but I strongly encourage anyone to take the opportunity.

On June 22, BMW Canada coordinated simultaneous delivery for 15 Canadians picking up M3s and M4s.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526

I had the privilege of receiving the first 2 series delivered at the Welt, on March 8. Also tagged along when my buddy took Euro delivery of his 128i in 2011.

Unforgettable.
I wonder if any of those guys had to pay markup over msrp?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #64
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I totally disagree. Outside of the US and Canada, E9X M3 DCT outsold the 6MT 2 to 1. With the M2 being the entry level M car for the youngsters, I believe the DCT will also outsell a 6MT. BMW doesn't care about the enthusiasts. It's all about sales and profit.
The M3 is a different type of car than 1m or M2. The M3 is more automated, and technology an comfort-laden, luxury centered than the smaller version. I'm all about choice so they should offer the auto but if they only offer 1 transmission, manual is the one most people would pick for this type of car worldwide.

Yes autos are taking over the enthusiast crowd too but abroad, many love manuals more than Americans.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #65
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
I agree with the iDrive comment, but beyond that you are simply blinded by your own point of view.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #66
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Last August at the Nufenen Pass (Passo della Novena) during the Sella 1.0 event we met a guy who was on a Porsche ED. He had taken delivery of a Cayman GTS. Peculiar about his brand new P-car: manual transmission. Porsche had told him that only 5% of the customers opt for MT.

Here are two pics of it:

Name:  CaymanGTS.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  CaymanGTS_2.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  52.9 KB