BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 Alignment issues after rear-end

06-27-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
Aeko
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, 01 M5

M2 Alignment issues after rear-end

I had the misfortune of being in a hit-and-run while in my M2C. The damage was "pretty minor" and appeared to just damage the bumper cover and put a minor dent in the crash support bar. The other car was at a stopped behind me at a red light for a while, then saw green and floored it into me. Probably no more than 20mph.

As the title suggests, afterwards the car was out of alignment which really bothers me as this was supposedly a very low speed accident. The car was towed to the shop on a flatbed as I was unable to drive due to a concussion (seat slapped me in the head pretty hard). The car was aligned around this time 2022 so it was definitely in alignment before the accident.

Does anyone have any input on whether they think this might be related to the accident or possibly from the tow truck?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 03:23 PM   #2
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

The alignment on these cars is very sensitive and it takes very little adjustment in the rear to shift toe. Given the sheet, this accident likely didn't effect the alignment very much, if at all. The subframe is pretty isolated on these cars so unless it took a hit (or the tow truck driver used the "toe" arm as a tie down point) they generally don't move unless the wheel took a hit.

The only way to truly tell if something is bent is to check the orientation of the adjusters (toe and camber) and compare them side to side. If nothing is bent, the adjusters should be very close to the same orientation as each other.

If you'd like more info just let me know.
Appreciate 0