BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension Upgrade Options Without Coil Overs?

06-16-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Suspension Upgrade Options Without Coil Overs?

Hi everyone,

Did a quick check and didn't see this brought up recently. I'm looking to improve the handling of the ride, but I don't want to lower the car too much. I live in NYC and the roads here are absolutely horrible. Not sure how many folks we have from the NYC area, but there are broken roads and potholes almost on every road. Due to COVID, and the recent push to discourage people from driving and taking public transportation0--The city has deprioritized reconditioning the roads.

Needless to say, it's become very unpleasant to drive around these days. I would like to improve the handling of the car, but I do not have to have it lowered too much, in fear or ruining anything due to the bad roads.

I was originally looking into coil overs, specifically the OEM BMW M Performance coil overs (https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...it-33502413033), but now I think just replacing the spring would do the trick.

I have a 2019 M2C

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I live in the NYC area although I rarely drive into Manhattan for obvious reasons. Other boroughs I do so I empathize. That being said I actually found coilovers to be better all around than the stock suspension, M Performance, Bilstein and KW are options that would fit the bill based on the little bit of info you provided.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #3
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Want to improve handling without coilovers? You need a bigger front sway bar, grab a 28-30mm bar for the front, install, start on the softest setting, tune as needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
OP, just to clarify. Are you asking about:
  • Improving the handling/dynamics of the car (how it corners, grip levels, stability, etc) OR
  • Ride quality on poorly maintained roads (reduce harshness of going over bumps/potholes)?

Or, maybe you’re looking for both?
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
OP, just to clarify. Are you asking about:
Improving the handling/dynamics of the car (how it corners, grip levels, stability, etc) OR
Ride quality on poorly maintained roads (reduce harshness of going over bumps/potholes)?

Or, maybe you’re looking for both?
I should’ve been more specific on this. Granted I wasn’t very sure how to, if I’m being honest. Thanks for the reply.

Ideally, I’d like to have both—improve overall handling/dynamics of the car and also ride quality on poorly maintained roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 09:44 AM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

You need to narrow your focus. No matter what you do, the ride is going to get stiffer as a function of the increased handling. How the car reacts to that is going to depend on how much money you want to spend. You mentioned the M Performance coilovers...those are going to be a little stiffer than stock, but be more controlled than a set of springs. But we're talking $2400 vs. $300. Springs are going to give you a mild drop and 10-20% stiffer ride depending on road conditions, and marginally better handling due to the lower center of gravity.

But all that to say, nothing is going to be better at your ride quality requirement than the OEM suspension.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
Sequence_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
You need to narrow your focus. No matter what you do, the ride is going to get stiffer as a function of the increased handling. How the car reacts to that is going to depend on how much money you want to spend. You mentioned the M Performance coilovers...those are going to be a little stiffer than stock, but be more controlled than a set of springs. But we're talking $2400 vs. $300. Springs are going to give you a mild drop and 10-20% stiffer ride depending on road conditions, and marginally better handling due to the lower center of gravity.

But all that to say, nothing is going to be better at your ride quality requirement than the OEM suspension.
Wouldn't exactly agree with that last statement. Sure oem may have the softest spring rate but a good set of coilovers can offer considerably better damping that really transforms how it deals with road imperfections and bumps. I personally found the standard suspension crashy and under damped.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000740.50
      06-17-2023, 06:53 PM   #8
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequence_ View Post
Wouldn't exactly agree with that last statement. Sure oem may have the softest spring rate but a good set of coilovers can offer considerably better damping that really transforms how it deals with road imperfections and bumps. I personally found the standard suspension crashy and under damped.
This I agree. My Öhlins when set to quite soft damping really soaks up the road and most importantly isn’t crassly like the stock suspension which motivated me to get rid because it was unsettling here in NYC
Appreciate 2
jefe2000740.50
chris7197334.00
      07-13-2023, 09:02 PM   #9
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

MSS springs?
Appreciate 0