BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help me decide on suspension upgrade.Please.

05-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #1
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Help me decide on suspension upgrade.Please.

Had my car in at a high end performance shop for replacement of broken sway bar end links. Asked about getting Ohlin R+T, KW or M performance. I have the Dinan coilovers- nice upgrage over base but I would love more .So I explained to them that ultimate grip is not my priority nor is lowering a lot for appearance sake. I value FEEL, feedback and tightness and the quickness of response- if it's a bit smoother my wife will ride in it more and I will get to drive it more! They siad "if you don't want more performance don't bother"!!! What do people here think? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

OGSM/Inertia Laboratory Custom Spec Nitron R1

Might take a look at our Nitron kits. Smoother ride (the crashiness from being overdampened to support too low spring rates is gone) while being much more responsive and planted. Ultimate grip is an added bonus
Appreciate 1
Stylin.M2270.00
      05-05-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Ohlins is superior to M-performance, but the choice ultimately depends on what you're looking for.

I read your initial post and couldn't quite grasp your objective for this modification. Do you take the car to the track? If so, how frequently?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
jeff4598
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Ohlins is superior to M-performance, but the choice ultimately depends on what you're looking for.

I read your initial post and couldn't quite grasp your objective for this modification. Do you take the car to the track? If so, how frequently?
No track just assertive in town and highway driving. Feel is hard to explain: tires warming up improves feel- your stereo warming up makes it sound more musical.Linearity of response to imput, steadyness around a curve. That kind of thing. E90 M3 could not keep up with this car but had better feel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
No track just assertive in town and highway driving. Feel is hard to explain: tires warming up improves feel- your stereo warming up makes it sound more musical.Linearity of response to imput, steadyness around a curve. That kind of thing. E90 M3 could not keep up with this car but had better feel.
Is it suspension you're after or maybe more firm bushings? Adjustable control arms to dial in alignment? I'm about to venture down this rabbit hole. I'm going to post a thread to see if some guidance can be provided.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #7
projekt-
Cruisin'
Rep
Drives: '19 LBB M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
I was on the market for something you are looking for as well. I ended up going with 3DM's Ohlins R&T.

Regardless, if you are going coilovers, your ride will become be more firm and harsh. These are facts, because all of coilovers come with stiffer spring rates (and while you can get custom springs, this is a separate topic) compared to OEM. Dialing your damper settings will help alleviate some of that and hopefully get back to stock or a bit better than stock (comfort).

When you lower your car, feel, steadiness will be better (at least for your needs, which is mostly street). For the most part the M2C platform is a "point and shoot"; meaning you won't really lose the directness too much if you change to coilovers, if any, it'll improve.

M2C's OEM dampers are not the greatest. So your baseline was pretty bad already.

If COMFORT is a thing, KW V3s may be something you'll like because they run off progressive (f)/linear springs (r). Ohlins and other coilovers run on linear (f)/linear (r).

THIS matters a good amount, imo, when talking about ride comfort. Something which often gets ignored when talking about springs and coilovers.

Since what you search for is quite hard to grasp, the best would be to help find some enthusiasts in your area and perhaps get a ride along. Otherwise, it's all very tough to describe and very subject to each person.

Good luck!
      05-19-2023, 10:07 PM   #8
NSFWM2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

went ohlins, nice change over OEM car feels much more planted in the corners and at high speed. But its def not a smooth ride and can feel the bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 12:12 AM   #9
Homekonger
Registered
Rep
Drives: AP1, F87M2C, F10 520I, Model3

went with Tractive touring with EDC, two thumbs up
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #10
SCMTX
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C, exesE92 M3, F82, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
OGSM/Inertia Laboratory Custom Spec Nitron R1

Might take a look at our Nitron kits. Smoother ride (the crashiness from being overdampened to support too low spring rates is gone) while being much more responsive and planted. Ultimate grip is an added bonus
I have these and love them!!! Better than anything I have ever experienced from Bilstein, Koni, TC Klein. Seriously, can't go wrong with the Nitrons and OGs customer support is great!
Appreciate 1
Stylin.M2270.00
      07-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I was lucky enough to get a used MPS with 5,000 street miles for $1200 and I've been extremely happy with them for how I use the car (street car, occasional back road blast, The Dragon once a year).

The other things I like about them are that they are recommended by BMW, and they are the easiest to install for sure. Even at BMW's recommended ride height of 595/600 they feel and drive perfectly, and pretty much all the wheel gap is gone. The car appears "right" to me, not "lowered."

Autumn in the air. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

I dream of hope. (Explore) by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 2
jefe2000740.50
Stylin.M2270.00
      08-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #12
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Ohlins R&T out of the box is going to be on the stiff side for your wife to ride in. However, with softer springs, they work very well on the street.

KW is going to be a bit more street friendly, but lacking the damping Ohlins DFV and expansion needle technology can give you.
Appreciate 0