BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help ! Rebuilding M performance Coilovers

05-17-2022, 12:15 AM   #1
RFxGh0st
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Help ! Rebuilding M performance Coilovers

Hey guys recently picked Picked up a set of used M Coilovers that are leaking and require a rebuild. Contacted KW USA they told me since its a
"private Label" Coilover they don't rebuild them and id have to speak with bmw who will get them rebuilt. So I called Bmw HQ they said I need to speak with a retailer and they can get it done. Called my local Bmw store's and they all have no idea so I'm kind of at a loss lol. I searched on the forums and other members have had them rebuilt in the past so am I dealing with the wrong department ? or just a lazy KW rep? any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I would like to save these and have them rebuilt cheers. ( I am also fine sending them off to someone who is not KW for a rebuild if that is an option.)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Try Performance Shocks at Sonoma, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
RFxGh0st
Rep

Hey thanks i tried them and they do not rebuild them, Have been on phone with BMW and KW and still no luck ugh.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

The issue might be KW not wiling to provide the necessary parts for the rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep
Drives: 18' M2

Strange, I can confirm that KW gave me the same response when I told them I purchased a used set of MPC:

"Thank you for reaching out to KW automotive with your questions regarding our shock service. If these are M performance coilovers those will be a private label that is exclusive to BMW motorsports and you would have to contact them for service."

This makes purchasing a set of MPC second-hand more risky as compared to any other coilover that can be rebuilt (Bilstein / AST / Ohlins / or just a KW branded V3 or clubsport), unless we can figure out who at BMW NA can point you in the right direction for a rebuilt.

Maybe Evan@Tischer would be helpful here?
      05-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
RFxGh0st
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichoke View Post
Strange, I can confirm that KW gave me the same response when I told them I purchased a used set of MPC:

"Thank you for reaching out to KW automotive with your questions regarding our shock service. If these are M performance coilovers those will be a private label that is exclusive to BMW motorsports and you would have to contact them for service."

This makes purchasing a set of MPC second-hand more risky as compared to any other coilover that can be rebuilt (Bilstein / AST / Ohlins / or just a KW branded V3 or clubsport), unless we can figure out who at BMW NA can point you in the right direction for a rebuilt.

Maybe Evan@Tischer would be helpful here?

I found a guy to rebuild them in the States will update when i get them back but it was 250USD plus shipping to rebuild my front two
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFxGh0st View Post
I found a guy to rebuild them in the States will update when i get them back but it was 250USD plus shipping to rebuild my front two
This may be somewhat interesting. We had a customer with a Tesla Model 3 Performance with a private labeled coilovers similar to the M Performance. Basically, it's a KW V3 with different springs. KW confirmed they will perform the rebuild to the spec the dampers left the factory with even though they are not KW V3.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #8
RFxGh0st
Rep

Zoran at TWF racing was able to rebuild mine hope this helps anyone in the future with M coilovers cheers
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13864.00
      05-16-2023, 04:43 PM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

This is one of the things that gave me pause about these coilovers. KW seems to have completely disassociated themselves with them (for whatever reason) and BMW just wants you to buy a new set. That leaves rolling the dice on a local person. Annoying because I guarantee all it takes is a generic KWV3 rebuild kit.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13864.00
      05-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #10
HP Autosport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
This is one of the things that gave me pause about these coilovers. KW seems to have completely disassociated themselves with them (for whatever reason) and BMW just wants you to buy a new set. That leaves rolling the dice on a local person. Annoying because I guarantee all it takes is a generic KWV3 rebuild kit.
BMW doesn't have the tools or the capability to perform the rebuild. Honestly, they probably don't to touch them unless it's like an exchange program like some of the parts they sell.

Some rebuilders are able to refresh the damper fluid but likely not able to get any soft or hard parts for the dampers.

Definitely something to consider when buying mid to high end coilovers. Very few companies provide good after sale support and service these days.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13864.00
      05-16-2023, 06:05 PM   #11
RFxGh0st
Rep

100% agree with you guys i got the shocks for 200$ cdn so overall after rebuild i cant complain luckily i found someone able to do it but otherwise there is better brands to go with. just hope this thread can help someone else in the future and avoid the hoops i had to go through.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
BMW doesn't have the tools or the capability to perform the rebuild. Honestly, they probably don't to touch them unless it's like an exchange program like some of the parts they sell.

Some rebuilders are able to refresh the damper fluid but likely not able to get any soft or hard parts for the dampers.

Definitely something to consider when buying mid to high end coilovers. Very few companies provide good after sale support and service these days.
Certainly wouldn’t expect BMW to rebuild them, but you’d expect them to at least set up a service agreement with KW or set up a network of qualified rebuilders. Similar to Ford’s relationship with Fox. The fact that KW refuses to touch them tells me something went sour during the development process.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 09:55 AM   #13
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Quote:
Certainly wouldn’t expect BMW to rebuild them, but you’d expect them to at least set up a service agreement with KW or set up a network of qualified rebuilders. Similar to Ford’s relationship with Fox. The fact that KW refuses to touch them tells me something went sour during the development process.
+1 on this. KW has worked with other vendors such as Racecomp Engineering (RCE) on custom tuned KW V3s on the Subaru side and KW will rebuild them to RCE specs. I don't understand why then they told the OP that they won't do the same for M Performance brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:05 AM   #14
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

I had the M performance coilovers and blew he fronts from a spirited mountain run. Contacted KW and they will not rebuild them. "The warranty for your M Performance suspension is with BMW, we have no access to BMW’s performance suspension line I am afraid." I also went to BMW to see if they can be warrantied, but they will only warranty the whole set if it was installed by a BMW dealer. They do not warranty parts that have not been installed by their dealers. I ened up with AST suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #15
RFxGh0st
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
I had the M performance coilovers and blew he fronts from a spirited mountain run. Contacted KW and they will not rebuild them. "The warranty for your M Performance suspension is with BMW, we have no access to BMW’s performance suspension line I am afraid." I also went to BMW to see if they can be warrantied, but they will only warranty the whole set if it was installed by a BMW dealer. They do not warranty parts that have not been installed by their dealers. I ened up with AST suspension.
GOTTA JUST LOVE Kw customer support lol
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
My guess is it could be contractual - BMW may not want these white-labeled shocks to be rebuilt. Less to worry about for BMW and incentivizes a repurchase.
      06-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I wonder if you just called them kw v3s and sent them in if they would just rebuild them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFxGh0st View Post
Zoran at TWF racing was able to rebuild mine hope this helps anyone in the future with M coilovers cheers
Thank you!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:29 AM   #19
Swish77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition '21

Quote:
Well, if you buy them through a BMW AD and have them installed at a BMW service center, there's no issue. They're warranted too.

I had a slight issue with mine, and the BMW service center where I had them installed serviced/adjusted them for free.
Appreciate 1