BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Nearly 1,200 BMW M2s have been produced for U.S. market through September

10-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #45
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfive View Post
I got this lovely message from some dealer recently, true?

Since this marks the end of the M2 and we are not receiving many we are indeed going to be charging a premium for the remainder ones. In the past we have not asked for a short period of time but now that we know that this will be the last run and have received quite a bit of demand since people know we will be ending the production run of this very popular model. If we stop for any reason I can let you know or if I can get an exception.
In theory they won't make the N55 vanilla M2 after June 2018. After that it will be the M2 Competition with the S55 engine. How limited if at all that version will be I couldn't say. BMW hasn't disclosed these plans in public, but the leaked info seems to be good.

I don't think Seattle BMW dealers get many allocations of more limited cars like the M2 anyway. My parents live there and there is never an M2 on the lot that they can go see. People order them and pick them up when they arrive.

Last edited by akkando; 10-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Changed typo that BMW HASN'T disclosed these plans in public
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #46
emfive
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
In theory They won't make the N55 vanilla M2 after June 2018. After that it will be the M2 Competition with the S55 engine. How limited if at all that version will be I couldn't say. BMW has disclosed these plans in public, but the leaked info seems to be good.

I don't think Seattle BMW dealers get many allocations of more limited cars like the M2 anyway. My parents live there and there is never an M2 on the lot that they can go see. People order them and pick them up when they arrive.
That's true, there is usually never a good selection of certain M cars readily available on the lot. Having said that where is a good place to go get an M2 then and not pay this ridiculous charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #47
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:

Since this marks the end of the M2 and we are not receiving many we are indeed going to be charging a premium for the remainder ones. In the past we have not asked for a short period of time but now that we know that this will be the last run and have received quite a bit of demand since people know we will be ending the production run of this very popular model. If we stop for any reason I can let you know or if I can get an exception.

What question did you ask him to get this response or did you get this randomly in a monthly email?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #48
emfive
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
What question did you ask him to get this response or did you get this randomly in a monthly email?
I simply inquired about an M2 on the incoming inventory list via the website. He responded and say that was sold and that I could order another but it comes with a $5k premium. I laughed and said I bought many a car from you before but never with a premium so wtf?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #49
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's true, there is usually never a good selection of certain M cars readily available on the lot. Having said that where is a good place to go get an M2 then and not pay this ridiculous charge.
You could post in the pricing section of the forum what you want and maybe someone can sell you that car or have a lead on a car like the one you want. People will help you.

If your local dealers won't give you an allocation at MSRP or below I would make a list of all the dealers that are close enough to fly to one way then drive the car back. What I did was fly from Nor Cal to So Cal, which cost me about $200 and then drive the car back. The extra $200 and the day off work was worth getting the car sooner and cheaper than I could locally. I give up a relationship with with a dealer buying locally but so what. Perhaps the cost of having them flat bed the car to you is low enough you would rather do that than fly and drive back? But if you fly and drive back it gives you a chance to see and inspect the car before handing over the check. Of course if you turn down the car you got to buy a one way ticket back, but think of it as an adventure!

Generally dealerships that sell a lot of BMWs, get the most allocations of something like the M2. So for you in Seattle the closest dealers who get the a lot of allocations might also be in Southern California. I heard Beverly Hills sells the most and sells at MSRP.

Maybe a local dealer will sell to you for the price of MSRP + the cost to you to flat bed an M2 from So Cal.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #50
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I simply inquired about an M2 on the incoming inventory list via the website. He responded and say that was sold and that I could order another but it comes with a $5k premium. I laughed and said I bought many a car from you before but never with a premium so wtf?
You could also get a sneaky and when you contact a dealer look up the person there who is in charge of their internet/fleet sales and speak directly with them. They may be in a position to immediately make a deal for what you're willing to pay and avoid the whole back and forth with the manager bullshit. I was able to find who was the boss on their web page and contact them directly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #51
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
That's just greed on the dealer's part. BMW isn't forcing them to add a "premium" or "market adjustment" on a customer order.

I had this conversation with a local dealer when they had a 2017 M2 PE on their lot. Original buyer couldn't get financing. The car was priced at $65k with an addendum - a $5k market adjustment. For sale at $70, 292. I inquired & they explained that any M2 that hits their lot for sale (not a customer order/pickup) gets bumped 5 grand.

They called me with an allocation & I reminded them of our conversation. They replied that orders are at MSRP with a deposit. If I back out, they keep the deposit & the car gets that $5k kiss.

It's a weird business model that almost encourages them to want M2 orders to get canceled by the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Feel free to send him a reply saying that usually discounts are awarded for cars (rather than charging premiums) as sales incentive whenever a model change is on its way, to ensure to clear inventories of existing cars in order to make room for the forthcoming successor.

Name:  Hello.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  34.0 KB
      10-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #53
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

I used a local autobroker...he was able to locate an allocation for MSRP back in mid 2016 for a 12/16 build of a model year 2017 at MSRP. Back then they were routinely $5,000 over....he has a relationship with a SoCal dealer who made it happen. So I think it is always worth checking with your local autobroker; if he or she handles any real volume they can usually save you thousands and make the whole transaction is smoother. On the M2 he saved me approx $4,000...on my wife's Subaru Outback he saved us $2,500 (after his $500-750 fee).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #54
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

By the time I found out about the PE, I was late to the dance. I went to my dealer, from whom I have bought numerous cars and inquired about the PE. They weren't even aware of it. I was told you don't want an M2 you want an M240i, I stated I wanted an M2 PE and felt I was SOL. As it turned out a poster stated on this forum the dealership he worked for had a PE with 6 speed. I got the sales managers name from him, bought the car in Colorado for MSRP out the door price, no bulls**t dealer prep, and/or paperwork charges, sticker out the door. Downside is I had to ship it to Mass. it can be done. FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #55
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

No lie...M2 production will stop in 2020 for a 5 year run. It's unfortunate they are charging a premium. If you need help finding allocations at MSRP look for Jake Son @Beverly Hills or George @ Palms Springs.

Last edited by D CHOI; 10-12-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0