BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Initial Jerks

10-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #23
Prudhvionline
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 BSM DCT

Thank you for all the suggestions. will try to follow. Its hard to resist driving this car at full potential. Enjoying every mile in it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Great tip.
And I don't even have my car yet, and mine isn't even DCT! Amazing what you can learn reading the manuals and doing some research...

My previous car was dual-clutch though, and one of the things that people learned was to NOT give it throttle instantly off the brake. We would give it a second or so to engage the clutch and start to creep on its own (VW stuff creeps automatically) before giving it gas.

In the M-DCT world, the equivalent of this would be to tap the gas once to get it engaged, and then feed in power with a separate throttle motion afterwards.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      10-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #25
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:
Great tip.
And I don't even have my car yet, and mine isn't even DCT! Amazing what you can learn reading the manuals and doing some research...

My previous car was dual-clutch though, and one of the things that people learned was to NOT give it throttle instantly off the brake. We would give it a second or so to engage the clutch and start to creep on its own (VW stuff creeps automatically) before giving it gas.

In the M-DCT world, the equivalent of this would be to tap the gas once to get it engaged, and then feed in power with a separate throttle motion afterwards.
Got it -I seriously appreciate your insight.

I seriously first drove DCT on a Z4 while I was in Atlanta 9 years.

Then again last night for a few hours. I really like that gear box, nothing short of amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #26
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

Then again last night for a few hours. I really like that gear box, nothing short of amazing.
I wasn't trying to be a jerk with that post, I took your initial post as positive. My point was that there are a lot of people on this forum who could find the answers to many of their questions by simply reading the documentation.

Honestly, a small part of me regrets that I ordered 6MT. Not because it is bad; from my brief test drive, it's way better than the one on my TT. However, with the auto-revmatch, the car/computers are already doing a lot of the work. I feel like DCT would've made more sense, and then I'd have launch control, an extra gear (I still haven't driven the 6MT at highway speed to see how the noise is) and not have to worry about some valet smoking the clutch or myself eating it up over time (or throwout bearings or leaking clutch lines, etc, etc).

I'm definitely a fan of dual-clutch tech.

OTOH, it was nearly $3k. That 3k I didn't spend on a transmission is helping to protect the car for me instead. The 6MT is also a free theft deterrent here. And there's something to be said for a sports car having 3 pedals...
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #27
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
It's counter-intuitive, but just dump the clutch. It will be perfectly smooth. IF you try to slip the clutch to ease it into gear, the revs will drop just as you're trying to slip it and it'll make noise. It took me a solid 1000 miles to unlearn manual driving behavior then a further 4000 to make it smooth 90% of the time. Ha. So weird!
I tried your suggestion this morning and you're absolutely right ! I had been trying to drive smoothly but in fact one is forced to drive aggressively so as to avoid the clunks. So when I fit my Fabspeed muffler bypass, all discretion will go out of the window. I just hope I don't meet any policemen at the roundabouts LOL. Thanks blackholescion and gmzanatta !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2017, 05:47 AM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

The transmission ratios in first gear are very aggressive in both boxes but more so in the 7 speed DCT. They are both good for getting off the line quickly but will cause lurching /rubber banding if you are in the lowest gear and try to tip in with a mild amount of throttle.

Added photo of gear ratios from another thread.

I believe the manual box is 4.31 rather than the 4.81 in first gear. It's easy to see how BMW knocked 0.1 seconds off the 6MT 0-60 by using a super short first gear.

ZPrime Check out the gear ratios for both boxes. The DCT 7th gear as shown above is really a second overdrive that's a minimal change from 6th. The biggest change between the DCT and 6MT ratios is in the lowest gears.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #29
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't trying to be a jerk with that post, I took your initial post as positive. My point was that there are a lot of people on this forum who could find the answers to many of their questions by simply reading the documentation.

Honestly, a small part of me regrets that I ordered 6MT. Not because it is bad; from my brief test drive, it's way better than the one on my TT. However, with the auto-revmatch, the car/computers are already doing a lot of the work. I feel like DCT would've made more sense, and then I'd have launch control, an extra gear (I still haven't driven the 6MT at highway speed to see how the noise is) and not have to worry about some valet smoking the clutch or myself eating it up over time (or throwout bearings or leaking clutch lines, etc, etc).

OTOH, it was nearly $3k. That 3k I didn't spend on a transmission is helping to protect the car for me instead. The 6MT is also a free theft deterrent here. And there's something to be said for a sports car having 3 pedals...
I was thanking you.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      10-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #30
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

If you do wear out the clutch though, it won't cost you an arm and a lag to replace it at least.

I think the thing that would bug me the most about the 6MT is the drone at highway speeds. The 7th gear gets you out of the RPM range where the drone is.
Appreciate 2
ORIGIN M.3160.50
ZPrime611.50
      10-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #31
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

If you do wear out the clutch though, it won't cost you an arm and a lag to replace it at least.

I think the thing that would bug me the most about the 6MT is the drone at highway speeds. The 7th gear gets you out of the RPM range where the drone is.
Well there you have it.

Another benefit.

Love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #32
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Yeah, from what I've seen 7th isn't a whole lot different from 6th, but people say it can be just enough to drop the RPM so the car doesn't drone at highway speed.

I still haven't driven at highway speed in mine (delivery in 4 days!) so I don't know how bad that drone is for me. The TT drones as well, so if the M2 isn't as loud then I probably won't care anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #33
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Yeah, from what I've seen 7th isn't a whole lot different from 6th, but people say it can be just enough to drop the RPM so the car doesn't drone at highway speed.

I still haven't driven at highway speed in mine (delivery in 4 days!) so I don't know how bad that drone is for me. The TT drones as well, so if the M2 isn't as loud then I probably won't care anyway.
You get it at like 2700 to 3200 rpm I think. I think it adds some character when it's NOT at a cruising RPM range.
Appreciate 0