BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Need advice on pricing seats

10-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Need advice on pricing seats

Hi guys. Im thinking about selling my M2 front and rear seats, but Im not sure what to ask for them. This is not a sales thread, but an advice thread. What do you think is a reasonable price for the seats , they are basically new, 6,000 miles on the car.
      10-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #2
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I think the market for used M2 seats can't be too high. It's not like the regular 2 series guys will buy them, after all they're the same seats. And if they're not buying them, who will?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I think the market for used M2 seats can't be too high. It's not like the regular 2 series guys will buy them, after all they're the same seats. And if they're not buying them, who will?
True, Im gon try my luck in the 2 series classifieds, maybe someone would like to switch from vinyl to leather. Plus those blue stitchings are kind of cool.
      10-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Market for them may get worse once the M2 Comp comes out and some switch to the optional sport seats?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Keep them for when you sell. It's the aftermarket seats that are valuable not the other way around. The OEM seats are pretty worthless unless someone has worn leather, which is rare for low mileage cars... well I say that but I have seen some mangled daktoa leather already.
      10-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Keep them for when you sell. It's the aftermarket seats that are valuable not the other way around. The OEM seats are pretty worthless unless someone has worn leather, which is rare for low mileage cars... well I say that but I have seen some mangled daktoa leather already.
Mine is terrible. There are worse problems to have with a car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Mine is terrible. There are worse problems to have with a car though.
Rubbing the bolster when sitting down? Not trying to be judgmental just somewhat concerned about this. It's not just Dakota btw it's all BMW leather.

I sat in a 60-year edition F10 M5 with only 2,000km on it and the bolster was annihilated. It was shocking. I usually don't cheap out on products so I feel like you'll need to hit it with quality conditioners often. I can't imagine spending so much on a car and having such a deteriorated interior after such low kms.
      10-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

The left bolster always get wasted when sliding into the car unless you make a conscious effort not to be lazy when entering. What I don't like is the way it seems to wrinkle and leave pockets. Put 225K on my '87 535 and the leather was still tight, even if worn with age. That shit was high quality. The Dakota leather at least doesn't seem to stretch back into shape very well. Not familiar with any of the newer model nappa etc...
Appreciate 1
stefan2354.00
      10-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
The left bolster always get wasted when sliding into the car unless you make a conscious effort not to be lazy when entering. What I don't like is the way it seems to wrinkle and leave pockets. Put 225K on my '87 535 and the leather was still tight, even if worn with age. That shit was high quality. The Dakota leather at least doesn't seem to stretch back into shape very well. Not familiar with any of the newer model nappa etc...
Nappa is better but not by much. They all wear horribly. BMWs should come with a complimentary Leatherique supply for that once per year restoration.
      10-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

So this concerns me. My car hasn't arrived yet, but will be in a little over 2 weeks.

My current car has what Jaguar call 'Premium Leather' in Ivory. I've been disappointed in the leather because of a) die transfer from jeans, but mostly b) where the Ivory die has actually come off in some small places. It hasn't creased significantly, and the side bolster also hasn't collapsed in 6 years of ownership.

I was hoping that the M2 leather, being black, wouldn't give me issus with die transfer or die wear off. I plan to protect it with Ultima Interior Guard Plus, which I've used on my wife's low cost grey Honda leather in her Pilot. Even after six months of jean die transfer, it just wipes off!

Is Dakota leather really that bad for wear?

My understanding was that coated leather, like BMW Dakota and the stuff in Hondas doesn't need 'conditioning', because it's covered in a plastic coating, and even the grain is pressed into it. My Jaguar is semi aniline, so it does benefit a little from conditioning, and I've used Leatherique on that; it's good stuff, but is it appropriate for BMW Dakota leather?

I'd like to make sure I have the appropriate kit in the garage before the car arrives, so any suggestions would be most welcome!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #11
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

i just started using the leather cleaner and conditioner from chemical guys. i was starting to see some wear on the left bolster after 3.5 months of ownership. applied some last weekend, seemed to have restored the colour and suppleness.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Since nobody has answered your question, I'll go with my gut. I'd price at $1,000 (or best offer) for the full set - front and back. See what you get.
Appreciate 1
2M502.50
      10-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Is Dakota leather really that bad for wear?

My understanding was that coated leather, like BMW Dakota and the stuff in Hondas doesn't need 'conditioning', because it's covered in a plastic coating, and even the grain is pressed into it. My Jaguar is semi aniline, so it does benefit a little from conditioning, and I've used Leatherique on that; it's good stuff, but is it appropriate for BMW Dakota leather?

I'd like to make sure I have the appropriate kit in the garage before the car arrives, so any suggestions would be most welcome!
Time will tell for me, not enough miles on the car yet, although others have complained and I've seen a couple higher mileage cars that already look a bit shabby.

That is what I understand as well. Leather conditioner is meant to keep leather supple and from drying out and cracking. UV can do a number on it over time if it's not conditioned. With Dakota I don't think the conditioner will penetrate in and do any good? Think they tell you just to wipe it off with a damp cloth if it gets dirty. Not sure what the best product is? Maybe ArmorAll has something? What are others out there using?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Time will tell for me, not enough miles on the car yet, although others have complained and I've seen a couple higher mileage cars that already look a bit shabby.

That is what I understand as well. Leather conditioner is meant to keep leather supple and from drying out and cracking. UV can do a number on it over time if it's not conditioned. With Dakota I don't think the conditioner will penetrate in and do any good? Think they tell you just to wipe it off with a damp cloth if it gets dirty. Not sure what the best product is? Maybe ArmorAll has something? What are others out there using?
As mentioned use a quality conditioner. NO ARMORALL; that shit will dry the hell out of your seats and make them shiny for whatever reason. Use Mothers, Auto Glym, Chemical Guys, etc. Use Leatherique once a year on a really hot day.