BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Install front Brake System on rear

03-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
OG_M2_Ben
Rep
Drives: BMW OG M2

Install front Brake System on rear

Hello everyone.

My first post here because I can't find any answers to my dilemma. Which probably means its a dumb question xDD

I am looking to upgrade my brakes in the M2. I really enjoy taking my M2 out to the Red Bull Ring in Austria every year and I have reached a point, where the Stock brakes just are not good enough. They fade far too quickly.

So I will be upgrading to an AP-Racing Kit for this summer season.

An interesting thought I had was if it is possible to put my current OEM front system on the rear for a 4-piston rear setup and then the new 6-piston AP on the front.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:46 PM   #2
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

The big question is, what pads have you been running that are fading on you? What brake pads have you tried in the past? Before changing braking systems it would be wise to do some analysis of the short comings of your current system before changing to a new one.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 12:08 AM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG_M2_Ben View Post
Hello everyone.

My first post here because I can't find any answers to my dilemma. Which probably means its a dumb question xDD

I am looking to upgrade my brakes in the M2. I really enjoy taking my M2 out to the Red Bull Ring in Austria every year and I have reached a point, where the Stock brakes just are not good enough. They fade far too quickly.

So I will be upgrading to an AP-Racing Kit for this summer season.

An interesting thought I had was if it is possible to put my current OEM front system on the rear for a 4-piston rear setup and then the new 6-piston AP on the front.

Thanks in advance
First try these things before you upgrade calipers:

1) upgraded rotors
2) upgraded brake pads
3) titanium brake shims
4) upgraded pistons and seals
5) brake ducts (this guy makes them for the m2 as well, he has a thread on f87post but i can't find it right now): https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1897123
      03-03-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
OG_M2_Ben
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post
The big question is, what pads have you been running that are fading on you? What brake pads have you tried in the past? Before changing braking systems it would be wise to do some analysis of the short comings of your current system before changing to a new one.
Thank you for the reply.
I run Ferodo DS2500 with everything else standard on the front axel. The rear is all OG BMW.

I am thinking of changing my liquid and brakelines for now and see how it feels on track this month. Will be on the red bull ring at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #5
OG_M2_Ben
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
First try these things before you upgrade calipers:

1) upgraded rotors
2) upgraded brake pads
3) titanium brake shims
4) upgraded pistons and seals
5) brake ducts (this guy makes them for the m2 as well, he has a thread on f87post but i can't find it right now): https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1897123
I think you are right! That sounds sensible.

After further research, I assume the squishy feeling after a few laps is the OEM brake fluid and the standard brake lines. I assume upgrading to steel lines and some better fluid will do good. What fluid would you recommend?

Running Ferodo DS2500 right now. People are telling me to upgrade to Endless. What is your opinion??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:16 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think you are right! That sounds sensible.

After further research, I assume the squishy feeling after a few laps is the OEM brake fluid and the standard brake lines. I assume upgrading to steel lines and some better fluid will do good. What fluid would you recommend?

Running Ferodo DS2500 right now. People are telling me to upgrade to Endless. What is your opinion??
Yeah most likely the stock brake fluid is insufficent for your useage, especially if it is old fluid. Try motul rbf600 or castrol srf.

Ferodo makes great pads, the problem is the DS2500 is more of a street/light track usage pad. That is likely where your problem lies. I would get a more agressive ferodo pad, maybe the DS 1.11. But you should read Ferodo's pad description and pick one you like, along with look at the temperature charts.

03-03-2023, 11:49 PM   #7
D.Yooras
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY18

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.
I run Ferodo DS2500 with everything else standard on the front axel. The rear is all OG BMW.

I am thinking of changing my liquid and brakelines for now and see how it feels on track this month. Will be on the red bull ring at the end of the month.
I agree with F87source, DS2500s are a performance street pad with a peaky MU curve. You'll need a dedicated track pad for track use, especially if you're quick.

Secondly, you're going to need proper track pads for the front AND rear axle if you're going to do track duty. If you only use track pads on the front, the rear pads will overheat long before the front and start causing weird brake bias issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:17 AM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Yooras View Post
I agree with F87source, DS2500s are a performance street pad with a peaky MU curve. You'll need a dedicated track pad for track use, especially if you're quick.

Secondly, you're going to need proper track pads for the front AND rear axle if you're going to do track duty. If you only use track pads on the front, the rear pads will overheat long before the front and start causing weird brake bias issues.
+1
      03-04-2023, 09:33 AM   #9
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Stock blues hold up well with proper pads and fluid as noted above. Don’t worry about APs until you’re overwhelming the system with heat with the above upgrades.

If you’re not discoloring the stock front calipers to the point they’re nearly black from heat, you’re still well within their capabilities and simply need proper fluid and pads.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2023, 10:49 AM   #10
OG_M2_Ben
Rep

thank you all for the great feedback.

So I ordered some Burkhart Steel braided brake lines for the M2 and now just trying to choose brake fluid. Which is best for sports street driving and good on Track for occasional Track Day? Motul RBF660 (1 liter for 37€)? Castol REACT SRF Racing (1 Liter 66€) or something completely different?
Thanks in advance

Oh and my rear brakes are f***ed. I have the chance to get full OEM Rear discs and pads and all lines etc for 360€... should i just get them or upgrade seeing i have to change them anyways?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #11
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I run SRF because it can go longer between fluid changes. I'm at 2yrs with a couple of track days. I'm going to have it changed before next event. It's probably still fine, but Id rather not chance. Even if it tests good I'll still change.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 04:11 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
thank you all for the great feedback.

So I ordered some Burkhart Steel braided brake lines for the M2 and now just trying to choose brake fluid. Which is best for sports street driving and good on Track for occasional Track Day? Motul RBF660 (1 liter for 37€)? Castol REACT SRF Racing (1 Liter 66€) or something completely different?
Thanks in advance

Oh and my rear brakes are f***ed. I have the chance to get full OEM Rear discs and pads and all lines etc for 360€... should i just get them or upgrade seeing i have to change them anyways?
RBF660 is fine if you change it frequently enough.

Upgrade to stainless lines, and get aftermarket rotors and pads. The stock stuff won't hold up well if you are quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I run SRF because it can go longer between fluid changes. I'm at 2yrs with a couple of track days. I'm going to have it changed before next event. It's probably still fine, but Id rather not chance. Even if it tests good I'll still change.
The problem with SRF is that it is hydrophobic, that is why it is able to last so long - because it will not absorb moisture. The con is that if you do get water in your braking system it will stay there are microdroplets. This is bad because water can accumulate over time, hence why even with SRF you should flush often to push the water out.