BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Best-ever February for BMW Group global sales

03-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Best-ever February for BMW Group global sales

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Best-ever February for BMW Group global sales
COMMENTS
  • Deliveries up 5.8%: 178,910 units worldwide
  • Increases achieved in all major sales regions
  • Solid growth in Group’s two biggest markets: China and USA
  • Monthly BMW brand sales increase 5.1% to 155,328
  • Record MINI sales in February: up 10.8% with 23,319 deliveries
  • BMW Group electrified vehicle sales +43.9% in February: 7,906 units
  • Electrified sales total 15,041 in year-to-date, an increase of 40.2%
  • Year-to-date BMW Group sales up 4.8% to 348,459 vehicles

Munich, Germany- March 13, 2018... Once again, sales at the BMW Group have achieved new heights with total sales in February up 5.8% (178,910). So far this year, a total of 348,459 BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce vehicles have been delivered to customers around the world, which is an increase of 4.8% on the same period last year. Both figures represent new all-time sales records.

“The BMW brand achieved a solid sales increase of 5.1% in February, with all major sales regions making a positive contribution to this result,” said Pieter Nota, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Brand BMW. “This is a big year for our popular X models: the all-new BMW X2 is just arriving in showrooms and at the motor show in Geneva last week, we premiered the new X4. Together with the BMW X3, which will see significantly increased availability in the second half of the year, I’m sure our X family will continue to be an important growth driver in the coming months. Another significant growth area is electro-mobility: with a year-to-date sales increase of over 40%, momentum is clearly building strongly for our electrified vehicles,” Nota continued.

The BMW Group is targeting sales of at least 140,000 electrified models in 2018 and is well on track to achieving that, with global sales of these innovative vehicles totalling 15,041 in the first two months of the year, an increase of 40.2% compared with the same period last year. In the USA, which is the company’s largest single market for electrified vehicles, 7.3% of total BMW Group sales in February were electrified, with a total of 1,936 BMW i, BMW iPerformance and MINI Electric vehicles delivered to customers. In Scandinavia, a quarter of all BMW Group vehicles sold in February were electrified.

The BMW Group has long focussed on improving the fuel-efficiency of its vehicles and last year once again achieved a reduction in its overall new-car European (EU28) fleet CO2 emissions. The reduction in 2017 of a further 2g/km means that CO2 emissions from the BMW Group’s new-car fleet in Europe (EU28) is now 122g/km. Since 1995, the average CO2 emissions for new BMW Group vehicles sold in Europe has fallen by more than 42%.

February saw solid growth in global BMW brand sales, which grew by 5.1% to total 155,328. In the first two months of the year, the brand’s sales increased by 4.3% to total 303,738 vehicles delivered worldwide. These new record figures can be attributed to increased sales in all major sales regions. A range of models contributed to growth in the year-to-date, including the BMW 1 Series (31,775 / +33.2%), the BMW X1 (48,159 / +22.5%) and the BMW 5 Series (55,344 / +13.6%).

The MINI brand achieved double-digit global sales growth of 10.8% in February, with the delivery of 23,319 vehicles to customers. The MINI Countryman continues to be the brand’s strongest growth driver, with sales in the first two months of the year totalling 12,687, more than twice what they were in the same period last year. Around 13% of MINI Countryman customers choose to buy the plug-in hybrid version of the car.

BMW Motorrad sales also continued their steady growth with sales in the month up 3.1% to 10,172. In the first two months of the year, a total of 18,627 BMW Motorrad customers took delivery of a new motorcycle or maxi-scooter, an increase of 7.2% compared to the same period last year.

BMW & MINI sales in the regions/markets at a glance
All three major sales regions contributed to the BMW Group’s increase in sales, with Mainland China and the USA the two main growth drivers.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.34.19 AM.jpg
Views: 3024
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 8.34.29 AM.jpg
Views: 3228
Size:  48.6 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Go Mini Go !
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      03-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Hmmm...

Looks like BMW's global strategy is working. Sales look strong and there is so MUCH to come this year alone.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
cwulffy150.00
      03-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Well, I guess BMW won't be focusing on providing more inspiring drivers' cars any time soon. The more success they get with the ever increasing watered down lineup, the further they will stray from "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Ultimate Driving Machine will later become the Ultimate Autonomous Machine
      03-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Well, I guess BMW won't be focusing on providing more inspiring drivers' cars any time soon. The more success they get with the ever increasing watered down lineup, the further they will stray from "The Ultimate Driving Machine."
Actually the opposite is true I would say... (if one isn't resigned to making pessimistic assumptions and being a negative Nelly)....

Just as one would perhaps " splurge" when finding some extra cash ( lottery winnings, tax return.. bonus at work.. or just a good year of income)... a manufacturer can take more risks with extra cash in the coffers. While that may not result in BMW creating a new model with a bespoke motor and ancillary items.... BMW could potentially take some projects more to the extreme.... For example.... if they previously didn't plan to make an M2 CSL.. then perhaps with an influx of newly found cash they might decide to go and pull the wraps off a project that has been mothballed.

It certainly seems that something like this did occur with the 1M. Clearly.. BMW had no plans to make it.. while at the same time the E84 BMW X1 was selling like hotcakes and BMW AG cast aside the bean counters and allowed BMW M to develop the 1M.

With the M4 CS and M3 CS announced..... an updated M2 coming.. X3 M40 and X4 M40 announced, X3M and X4M coming.. along with the 8 series and the M8 gran coupe and potentially a new Z4 (apparently none of these including the M8 are the " inspiring driver's car " you are looking for.. )

While I agree to a your comment that I would like something a little wilder than the current offerings.. (a 6 speed M2 CSL or GTS would work for me and is certainly still possible if BMW were to greenlight such a project.. ) what vehicle is it that you are hoping for BMW to make that you are so convinced they will not ?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-13-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      03-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Actually the opposite is true I would say... (if one isn't resigned to making pessimistic assumptions and being a negative Nelly)....

Just as one would perhaps " splurge" when finding some extra cash ( lottery winnings, tax return.. bonus at work.. or just a good year of income)... a manufacturer can take more risks with extra cash in the coffers. While that may not result in BMW creating a new model with a bespoke motor and ancillary items.... BMW could potentially take some projects more to the extreme.... For example.... if they previously didn't plan to make an M2 CSL.. then perhaps with an influx of newly found cash they might decide to go and pull the wraps off a project that has been mothballed.

It certainly seems that something like this did occur with the 1M. Clearly.. BMW had no plans to make it.. while at the same time the E84 BMW X1 was selling like hotcakes and BMW AG cast aside the bean counters and allowed BMW M to develop the 1M.

With the M4 CS and M3 CS announced..... an updated M2 coming.. X3 M40 and X4 M40 announced, X3M and X4M coming.. along with the 8 series and the M8 gran coupe and potentially a new Z4 (apparently none of these including the M8 are the " inspiring driver's car " you are looking for.. )

While I agree to a your comment that I would like something a little wilder than the current offerings.. (a 6 speed M2 CSL or GTS would work for me and is certainly still possible if BMW were to greenlight such a project.. ) what vehicle is it that you are hoping for BMW to make that you are so convinced they will not ?
I just don’t get excited about limited editions of special versions of performance models of regular cars. Yes, I’m being facetious, but there’s nothing inspiring about tacking on some off the shelf parts, slapping a new badge on it, limiting production to only a few hundred, and seeing fanboys drool over them. Equally not impressive is continually adding so many different models that it statts becoming to difficult to discern between them.

The jury’s still out for me with the 8 series/M8 and I’ll admit it’s piqued my interest, but at this point with so many models and permutations, probability dictates they will produce something good eventually. It’s like throwing a bunch of darts at the board and hoping a few stick.

To answer your question about what model I’m hoping they will make? None. They already have winning cars in their lineup. They just need to cut down all the others.

Appreciate 1
      03-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I just don’t get excited about limited editions of special versions of performance models of regular cars. Yes, I’m being facetious, but there’s nothing inspiring about tacking on some off the shelf parts, slapping a new badge on it, limiting production to only a few hundred, and seeing fanboys drool over them. Equally not impressive is continually adding so many different models that it statts becoming to difficult to discern between them.

The jury’s still out for me with the 8 series/M8 and I’ll admit it’s piqued my interest, but at this point with so many models and permutations, probability dictates they will produce something good eventually. It’s like throwing a bunch of darts at the board and hoping a few stick.

To answer your question about what model I’m hoping they will make? None. They already have winning cars in their lineup. They just need to cut down all the others.
Interesting...l.. the special edition thing sure seems to work for Porsche though... There are always special edition versions of the Boxster, Cayman, and 911.. Perhaps it's just as annoying to you, seeing them roll out "N"th anniversary edition models.. , Club coupe editions.. Exclusive Design Edition., Exclusive GB edition, Black Edition, Targa, Speedster, etc.. There are so many 911 Special editions.. someone decided to make an article choosing the best ones...

https://www.total911.com/total-911s-...-porsche-911s/

Bottom line is.. that apparently certain people DO purchase these special editions.... while I agree... many of BMWs special editions are contrived (especially anything regarding M3 30 Jahre) ... Lime Rock Editions... Frozen editions.. " Black Shadow edition " etc and really feature little other than exclusive colors.... I guess that technically what I am hoping for a really *sick* special edition of the M2.. so consider me a part of the problem I guess.

As I think about it.. it's not like the special edition game is anything NEW.. Heck.. BMW created MANY versions of special edition of the E30 M3...

Evo 1, Evo 2, Cecotto , Ravaglia, Europa Meister , and Sport Evo.. only SIX special editions of the E30 M3..

http://www.bimmers.com/m3/spotter/specials.html

Now then.. back in the day... many of the special editions featured new parts for homologation... and.. while no BMW I am aware of right now goes through such development.. of the special editions have kept on coming across the years.. Some of then indeed are pretty special..

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/04/13/hi...cial-editions/

Doesn't look like BMW ( or Porsche) will stop...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-13-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Interesting...l.. the special edition thing sure seems to work for Porsche though... There are always special edition versions of the Boxster, Cayman, and 911.. Perhaps it's just as annoying to you, seeing them roll out "N"th anniversary edition models.. , Club coupe editions.. Exclusive Design Edition., Exclusive GB edition, Black Edition, Targa, Speedster, etc.. There are so many 911 Special editions.. someone decided to make an article choosing the best ones...

https://www.total911.com/total-911s-...-porsche-911s/

Bottom line is.. that apparently certain people DO purchase these special editions.... while I agree... many of BMWs special editions are contrived (especially anything regarding M3 30 Jahre) ... Lime Rock Editions... Frozen editions.. " Black Shadow edition " etc and really feature little other than exclusive colors.... I guess that technically what I am hoping for a really *sick* special edition of the M2.. so consider me a part of the problem I guess.

As I think about it.. it's not like the special edition game is anything NEW.. Heck.. BMW created MANY versions of special edition of the E30 M3...

Evo 1, Evo 2, Cecotto , Ravaglia, Europa Meister , and Sport Evo.. only SIX special editions of the E30 M3..

http://www.bimmers.com/m3/spotter/specials.html

Now then.. back in the day... many of the special editions featured new parts for homologation... and.. while no BMW I am aware of right now goes through such development.. of the special editions have kept on coming across the years.. Some of then indeed are pretty special..

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/04/13/hi...cial-editions/

Doesn't look like BMW ( or Porsche) will stop...
Hehe, yep, Porsche does quite a bit of that, but they have such a limited line up of base cars to begin with. Plus the 911 is a purpose built platform on which they continue to build upon. The M4 GTS was all that BMW could do to squeeze out some last drops of performance out of the F8x. Serious diminishing returns at double the MSRP, and in the end the fanboys drool over the rear OLEDs. I think the GTS was a step in the right direction, don’t get me wrong. The intent was good, the execution left a lot to be desired.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Hehe, yep, Porsche does quite a bit of that, but they have such a limited line up of base cars to begin with. Plus the 911 is a purpose built platform on which they continue to build upon. The M4 GTS was all that BMW could do to squeeze out some last drops of performance out of the F8x. Serious diminishing returns at double the MSRP, and in the end the fanboys drool over the rear OLEDs. I think the GTS was a step in the right direction, don’t get me wrong. The intent was good, the execution left a lot to be desired.

" quite a bit of that" .. lol.. no.. Porsche is the KING at that..

Just um.. 24 models. Seriously.. No self respecting enthusiast should complain that BMW has " too many models and special editions" without first looking over at Zuffenhausen where Porsche makes TWO DOZEN variations of the same car. Here are all 24 versions of the Porsche 911 you can buy right now

http://www.businessinsider.com/porsc...rsions-2017-12

It's so many that even car mags have made a buyers guide..

url]https://www.carthrottle.com/post/an-idiots-guide-to-understanding-the-porsche-911-range/[/url]

Meanwhile.. Back to BMWs. A correction..

The M4 GTS was the FIRST thing BMW could do to squeeze more performance from the M4 chassis.

They then made a ZCP.. model... which incorporated some GTS items (wheels ) (let's not count LCI )

The M4 CS with it's redesigned front and rear aero is essentially the third salvo from the boys at M.. And I have a feeling that they aren't done.
Keep in mind that EOP isn't until 2020.... and BMW began to seriously pump out special editions for the E92 around the time that the E90 sedan ended production.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 03-14-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:33 AM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I am having a hard time understanding how this is possible in the US market.

1. Bmw leases are worse than ever.
2. Auto loan debt is now higher than it has been for many many years and households are nearly maxed out on that debt.
3. Interest rates continue to rise.
4. Dealers have massive inventory standing around.

What am I missing here? New models? or something interesting will happen soon?
      03-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
No there will be additional models to accommodate requirement for further performance and aimed at the more particular enthusiast. This year we will see the M2 Competition,M3 CS and the M5 Competition and then the roll out for the X3M and X4M cars driven by customer demand.
The M4 is not finished but the M3 is with the CS until the new G20 based M3 arrives but not for another two years.

As of new product this year alone we will see X2,X4,The i8,The 8. The X5.The X7. An all new Z4 and BMW's most important launch of the astounding new 3er.
Products that will be very successful as they meet the demands of BMW customers emphasising nothing but "Sheer Driving Pleasure"
      03-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #14
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No there will be additional models to accommodate requirement for further performance and aimed at the more particular enthusiast. This year we will see the M2 Competition,M3 CS and the M5 Competition and then the roll out for the X3M and X4M cars driven by customer demand.
The M4 is not finished but the M3 is with the CS until the new G20 based M3 arrives but not for another two years.

As of new product this year alone we will see X2,X4,The i8,The 8. The X5.The X7. An all new Z4 and BMW's most important launch of the astounding new 3er.
Products that will be very successful as they meet the demands of BMW customers emphasising nothing but "Sheer Driving Pleasure"
This is where I disagree. Is it truly that the buyers contributing to a record sales month fully appreciate and demand a BMW for what the marque is branded on? I highly doubt the vast majority do, especially in emerging markets like China. Are they meeting demands for "Sheer Driving Pleasure," or demands for a luxury status symbol? A company as big as BMW isn't stupid. They will identify the driving factors for these records sales and adjust to those factors. These factors are what enthusiasts here don't value as much.

Appreciate 0