BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Ultimate driving experience procedures?

03-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Ultimate driving experience procedures?

I registered a few days ago for the Ultimate Driving Experience, which is apparently happening in Baton Rouge this coming weekend. I was expecting to get some kind of confirmation but have not gotten anything. Can anyone explain what I'm supposed to do now? Just show up whenever I feel like it during those two days? My impression from reading other people's posts on here is that they were assigned specific times to attend...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
bcstuff
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
I registered a few days ago for the Ultimate Driving Experience, which is apparently happening in Baton Rouge this coming weekend. I was expecting to get some kind of confirmation but have not gotten anything. Can anyone explain what I'm supposed to do now? Just show up whenever I feel like it during those two days? My impression from reading other people's posts on here is that they were assigned specific times to attend...
Where did you register, I haven't seen anything and the website doesn't show me anything but a video and says coming soon?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

The Ultimate Driving Experience website doesn't show a schedule for this year yet:
https://ude.bmwusa.com

Last year, they made it seem like you needed to sign up for a specific time slot and shown up at that time, but they allowed walk-on registration on-site as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The UDE here was for a couple of weeks last year and you signed up online. Since people often are no shows you can get their time slot by showing up. I was able to come back for a couple of days as the test drives are first come first serve just the track events with the instructor require you to register. The site for 2018 still says coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I got an email last weekend from the local dealership here (I live in New Orleans now), with a link to register. On the registration page it didn't have actual times to select, though. And I tried looking on the BMW website to figure out what to do, but as you all have mentioned, I couldn't find anything useful there either. I'm gonna check with the dealership and see if they know anything.

If I can get any information about upcoming dates/locations then I will definitely share it with everyone
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
I got an email last weekend from the local dealership here (I live in New Orleans now), with a link to register. On the registration page it didn't have actual times to select, though. And I tried looking on the BMW website to figure out what to do, but as you all have mentioned, I couldn't find anything useful there either. I'm gonna check with the dealership and see if they know anything.

If I can get any information about upcoming dates/locations then I will definitely share it with everyone
I've heard of some dealerships running their own UDE events. So I'm guessing the one you signed up for is specific to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've heard of some dealerships running their own UDE events. So I'm guessing the one you signed up for is specific to your dealer.
Yeah, I think this is basically correct. It seems like a "regional" event sponsored by southeastern Louisiana BMW dealers...which is pretty surprising considering the market around here.

But anyway, I called my dealership and spoke with a salesman. He was confused when I told him that I could not select a specific date/time, but then called me back a few minutes later to say that's how it is supposed to be. So basically I just show up whenever I feel like it, and hope I get to do everything. That's a little annoying I suppose, but I'm still really excited!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
The Ultimate Driving Experience website doesn't show a schedule for this year yet:
https://ude.bmwusa.com

Last year, they made it seem like you needed to sign up for a specific time slot and shown up at that time, but they allowed walk-on registration on-site as well.
I does today, first one is in Washington DC. April 14-20, then New Jersey, SF, LA and NY to finish in November. No mentioned New Orleans or anything near Texas,
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco135 View Post
I does today, first one is in Washington DC. April 14-20, then New Jersey, SF, LA and NY to finish in November. No mentioned New Orleans or anything near Texas,
Honestly, you're not missing much. You can go to your local autocross event for a better driving experience (well, except in your car vs a 540i I guess) or your dealership for test drives. I mean, they did give out some goodies and some cookies, but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco135 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Just signed up for a session.

Quote:
Honestly, you're not missing much. You can go to your local autocross event for a better driving experience (well, except in your car vs a 540i I guess) or your dealership for test drives. I mean, they did give out some goodies and some cookies, but that's about it.
Yes, a true autocross event is better. But I'm still doing it. Not many chances you get to beat up on someone else's car in a controlled setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, a true autocross event is better. But I'm still doing it. Not many chances you get to beat up on someone else's car in a controlled setting.
You don't really get to beat up on it. They don't let you launch the car, turn off DSC, or even have a course that allows for anything remotely considered a "beating." You get 2 runs and it's over in under 30 sec (mine was ~20s). You also have to sit through 30-40 minutes of some boring video and wait for everybody else to drive as well. They rotate between 4 cars per group but they're out there all day, so the crappy all-seasons tires are basically shot. If you're the fastest in your group, you get to stay extra 40 minutes to race against other groups' winners, where you can actually launch but the rest are still the same. It's a good time killer, but don't expect too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You don't really get to beat up on it. They don't let you launch the car, turn off DSC, or even have a course that allows for anything remotely considered a "beating." You get 2 runs and it's over in under 30 sec (mine was ~20s). You also have to sit through 30-40 minutes of some boring video and wait for everybody else to drive as well. They rotate between 4 cars per group but they're out there all day, so the crappy all-seasons tires are basically shot. If you're the fastest in your group, you get to stay extra 40 minutes to race against other groups' winners, where you can actually launch but the rest are still the same. It's a good time killer, but don't expect too much.
I've been to three of these before. I keep my expectations based on the cost of the event...free. If I had to pay for the event then yes, I would have the gripes you presented.

And it depends on how fast you go in reference to "beating" on the car. On one of my practice runs, I had to slow down halfway into my run because I caught up to the driver who was put on the course ahead of me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #13
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
I've been to three of these before. I keep my expectations based on the cost of the event...free. If I had to pay for the event then yes, I would have the gripes you presented.

And it depends on how fast you go in reference to "beating" on the car. On one of my practice runs, I had to slow down halfway into my run because I caught up to the driver who was put on the course ahead of me.
the best thing to do is gather all your friends, sign up for a specific time slot, talk shit, then I guarantee you'll 'beat' the hell out of the car

plus, bragging rights are priceless

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Keep an eye out for the “VIP UDE” version, it’s way better. Went last year and they had every M model available to drive, even i8’s & M760’s. They also had M4’s on the autocross track and dinner with some “celebrity” chef. This was before the new X3 rolled out, and they had one of those present as well. All free of course