BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > All this hate towards BMW and luxury brands in general

02-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

All this hate towards BMW and luxury brands in general

It's really immature and silly if you ask me. People hating on luxury brands for various reasons. Some are envy, some don't like that your brand is cooler than his, etc. if it was only school boys, but no - actual semi-famous people too. Many of them. Take Scotty Kilmer - his videos are fun to watch, but what's with his hate towards BMW (and some other German brands) - like he created several dedicated videos to degrade and humiliate (or he thinks so) BMW brand. He operates from a average Joe perspective that if he can't fix it with pliers and hammer for $5 than this brand is overpriced crap and no one should buy it. His remarks are so ridiculous at times that often I wonder if he has some personal vendetta towards BMW? Some other youtubers too, who generally appeal to average Joe public from purely reliability and economy perspective. Don't they know that not everyone buys cars to squeeze every last cent out of it and drive for 20 years Hyundai Sonata or Corolla? Can't they understand that many people are actually enjoying a good chassis and a brand that has made many iconic cars? Just wondering if it's a hate or they really genuinely think so?
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
It's really immature and silly if you ask me. People hating on luxury brands for various reasons. Some are envy, some don't like that your brand is cooler than his, etc. if it was only school boys, but no - actual semi-famous people too. Many of them. Take Scotty Kilmer - his videos are fun to watch, but what's with his hate towards BMW (and some other German brands) - like he created several dedicated videos to degrade and humiliate (or he thinks so) BMW brand. He operates from a average Joe perspective that if he can't fix it with pliers and hammer for $5 than this brand is overpriced crap and no one should buy it. His remarks are so ridiculous at times that often I wonder if he has some personal vendetta towards BMW? Some other youtubers too, who generally appeal to average Joe public from purely reliability and economy perspective. Don't they know that not everyone buys cars to squeeze every last cent out of it and drive for 20 years Hyundai Sonata or Corolla? Can't they understand that many people are actually enjoying a good chassis and a brand that has made many iconic cars? Just wondering if it's a hate or they really genuinely think so?
Time, place and perspective all matter right? BMW isn't right for all circumstances, but brands that carry prestige or that are perceived as somewhat pretentious (BMW is) then it'll attract negative attention.

Buy cars is generally bad for building wealth but I love cars...squeezing every cent out of a Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla makes the most sense from a financial perspective so there is merit to it...I did it for a long time and now I want to try and stay premium (with the exception of the new Accord, it's pretty impressive kit).
DuSh2112.50
      02-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I mean... who cares what this Scotty character thinks? Or any other youtuber for that matter. If they aren't helping with the car payment, they don't get a vote in the matter. As long as I'm paying for the car I'm going to find the car that meets my needs the best. I don't buy cars for max longevity and ease of repair. I buy for driving dynamics and functional need within the budget I set for myself.
Appreciate 3
DuSh2112.50
Germanauto9665.50
      02-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

and i dont understand why he screams when he talks. lol
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
Germanauto9665.50
      02-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Hold on. We are talking about Youtubers here? It doesn't get more irrelevant than their opinion.
Appreciate 6
      02-26-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

What I find amazing is these youtubers have huge followings and make a lot of money from producing videos on random stuff. None of them have videos of value. Mostly they have a bunch of clickbait and vlog rant about their daily lives. Their car reviews are usually worthless as well.

There's a few that do good reviews but they're usually professional journalists who happen to have a channel. People like Chris Harris, Tiff Needel and channels like Autocar or Evo magazine.

Some, like Vehicle Virgins annoys the crap out of me.. but that guy gets a ton of views. He just seems like a asshole in real life.
P111541.50
Law6377.00
3tekcorps826.00
Germanauto9665.50
Mingwan1891.00
      02-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Media (no matter how puny or unqualified) try to stir up controversy as a path to viewership and/or fame. To them, the validity of their blather is irrelevant.

Feel free to ignore them; your choice.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 4
DuSh2112.50
P111541.50
      02-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

just remember that, in addition to imitation, envy is also a very sincere form of flattery.

And these are the types who do the brakes on a 5 series in their driveway with a crescent wrench, right? So I'm thinking you need a psych eval if you put much stock in their opinions. May be a sign that you are spending a bit too much time in the blogosphere - once spring comes you can get out to a cars and coffee and check out some REAL respectable cars, like the famous sideways Mustang (you can fix one of those with a hammer).
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
      02-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Gentlemen (and ladies):

The fact that several of you have commented on YouTube reviewers makes them relevant. That's the entire hustle.

Just sayin'.

Appreciate 3
DuSh2112.50
P111541.50
      02-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Take Scotty Kilmer - his videos are fun to watch,
I'm sorry, after this your post became unreadable
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      02-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

For me personally I just don't find that they offer that much "luxury" anymore compared to other brands, especially for the price. I think you need to get fairly high up in the brand range now to get that differentiation. I hate my wife's 428 and think it is/was very overpriced for what you get at 52k MSRP (we got it for around 47). The Dakota leather isn't very pleasant to the touch/feel, plastic everywhere the drive isn't special/unique at all anymore. IDrive is one of the best, but almost everybody has caught up in that regard. The stereo isn't great (I've had the HK upgrade, still nothing special) and there are plenty of rattles. Thankfully we leased because the depreciation on current BMWs and other luxury brands is brutal.

I'm not just picking on BMW as we drove a C300 and that was surprisingly bad. I couldn't believe how poor the transmission shift unless you were in sport mode. Also the interior looks much better in pics than in real life.

Any way, IMO most everybody else has caught up and you can get some extremely nice sedans/SUVs with similar if not better options list for 10-20k less.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Media (no matter how puny or unqualified) try to stir up controversy as a path to viewership and/or fame. To them, the validity of their blather is irrelevant.

Feel free to ignore them; your choice.
This exactly.

Ironic that the car you drive has never been LESS of an indication of success. Almost any idiot with a job can figure out a way to lease a car they could never afford to buy. I'm not sure why there would be the perception of snobbery when it's no longer particularly difficult to attain.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      03-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
BMWSeven
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW E66

I'm wondering about the hate towards youtube vloggers. There are bad ones, average ones, good ones. But really, they're just people trying to earn an honest living - don't like em don't watch em.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      03-08-2018, 05:26 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Time, place and perspective all matter right? BMW isn't right for all circumstances, but brands that carry prestige or that are perceived as somewhat pretentious (BMW is) then it'll attract negative attention.

Buy cars is generally bad for building wealth but I love cars...squeezing every cent out of a Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla makes the most sense from a financial perspective so there is merit to it...I did it for a long time and now I want to try and stay premium (with the exception of the new Accord, it's pretty impressive kit).
You can squeeze every last cent out of a BMW. I've been doing it for 30 years now and over 850,000 miles.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      03-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

The one thing I've learned from the internet:

If it exists, someone out there will hate it. And make their voice known too. Doesn't matter how great it is.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Dude, I have seen many haters. They were pissed and jealous that you were driving a nice car. Generally, this kind of people are ignorant. If you watch and see what kind of people they surround themselves with, you will see they are all like minded jackass, losers and psychopaths. They hate to see anyone become successful or become better than them. Something wrong with their values and views. Just ignore trashes and keep up the good work and become successful.
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #17
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSeven View Post
I'm wondering about the hate towards youtube vloggers. There are bad ones, average ones, good ones. But really, they're just people trying to earn an honest living - don't like em don't watch em.
Some trolls and psychopaths on the internet just find love in attacking people and making hateful, extreme comments.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #18
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSeven View Post
You know it's not exactly honest living - when you bash one brand just because you don't like it. What's even worse - they spread false subjective views and people believe them. They have million subscribers. They do whatever it takes to get more. Not so honest living lol. In fact very far from honest.
Not everyone believes crap they say, some understand that it's bias or even done on purpose to gain likes etc. However, even 25% from a 14 million subscribers - is a lot of people. Even more who is not subscriber and just watches occasionally such videos. Eventually it affects all of us. Manufacturers. Everyone. Bad rep. Stereotypes. Falling prices on used market because of sheer amount of people spreading such info. It goes like a snowball.
My question was to try to understand roots of this hate. Sorry for this rant. Was thinking loudly again.
Appreciate 3
Z K1886.00
Germanauto9665.50
P111541.50
      03-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #19
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Who hates luxury brands? We usually only buy bmw. And our EV will be bmw.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
What I find amazing is these youtubers have huge followings and make a lot of money from producing videos on random stuff. None of them have videos of value. Mostly they have a bunch of clickbait and vlog rant about their daily lives. Their car reviews are usually worthless as well.

There's a few that do good reviews but they're usually professional journalists who happen to have a channel. People like Chris Harris, Tiff Needel and channels like Autocar or Evo magazine.

Some, like Vehicle Virgins annoys the crap out of me.. but that guy gets a ton of views. He just seems like a asshole in real life.
I've met Virgin boy in person at a car show in metro Detroit. He was actually quite nice and really respected what I do for a career and what not. But this was before he jumped on the clickbait bandwagon and f*cked over his chubby asian buddy, who is a seriously nice dude. Actions speak louder than a pleasant 2 minute conversation.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      03-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #21
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

BMW's are awesome despite what Scotty Kilmer said. You don't need a lot of money to work on these cars. I watch Justin Buice's channel and he is able to own and drive an E90, maintenance costs are not out of this world and you can buy parts from FCP Euro with lifetime warranty for a fraction of their cost at the dealer. It really is not much different from any other car. I prefer not to drive old, cheap cars even though I was raised to believe cheaper is better (since cars lose value) and to instead invest in real estate (which I have done). I feel everyone should do what makes them happy and if it means spending money on something that isn't necessarily a good investment so be it. Owning a BMW is more about the experience not so much an investment but can be as some models have gone up in value, which is rare for cheaper brands.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Who the fk is Scotty Kilmer and why should I care about anything he says?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
P111541.50