BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 prices taking a hit

02-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #89
ilvtofu
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post

In response to ilvtofu (I assume you're the same tofu on RS), yes it does seem high but the M2 was considered a "retail lease" before Jan 24, 2018 hence the $965/mth before tax. In anyway, that's about a 33% discount for an employee to lease an M2.
ah icic. Haha there are two Tofu on RS, I'm not the one that works at BJ
      02-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #90
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
UK bought 241K M & M-Performance in 2017 for a 65-Million population (0.37%)

Arcanum-UK I bet the Brits will end up dropping the consumption of BMW and M cars once they officially leave the EU.

They will have to go back to driving and producing the cars they made before....

Oh yes, the Reliant Regal handles much better with Bilstein B6 HD Shocks...
Nothing wrong with British made cars it's true if we don't make a deal I can see Germany cars gong up a lot.
Attached Images

02-03-2018, 02:59 AM   #91
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
UK bought 241K M & M-Performance in 2017 for a 65-Million population (0.37%)

Arcanum-UK I bet the Brits will end up dropping the consumption of BMW and M cars once they officially leave the EU.

They will have to go back to driving and producing the cars they made before....

Oh yes, the Reliant Regal handles much better with Bilstein B6 HD Shocks...
Nothing wrong with British made cars it's true if we don't make a deal I can see Germany cars gong up a lot.
Another classic lol
Attached Images

02-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #92
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems like the prices are gonna take a big hit. I just got notice that all M2's (in Canada at least) can be leased by an employee of BMW for roughly $600cad a month.

I've been in line for an M2 variant for quite a while (first at my dealer), and I have been looking to get an M2 to satisfy the itch in the meantime. Now I'm seriously contemplating if I should go forward with my Competition or CS allocation when it comes.

I know I'm going to stir some pots here but I'm trying to gauge how you guys in the US are seeing this situation. My feeling is that M2 production has ramped up but no one wants these cars. I know a lot of pre lci M2 orders have been dropped for the lci but I don't know if people actually stuck around for the LCI.

An employee friend of mine leased a new 2017 M2 for roughly $965cad (employee pricing) about 5 months ago and with it being about $600 now, that's a worrying trend that I think the M2 is facing. Thoughts?
Employee pricing is such a small factor in the larger market, I dont see how its a key indicator of market values.

Having just gone through a purchase of an M2, and evaluating 18 vs. 17 vs. 16 here are my thoughts

Now that we are 3 model years in, there are a fair amount of used cars out there so used supply is creating price pressure vs. new. Why buy new if you can get a 16 for $45k? That spread will continue as BMW continues to raise prices on a very similar new model.

Its difficult to determine new 18 inventory. BMW's search tools suck, and most M2's listed on autotrader are NOT REAL. I called many dealers only to hear "on THAT M2 is a customer's car, but we can order you one very similar!". Very few actual M2's on dealer lots.

Still difficult to get anything off MSRP. Why would a dealer take money off MSRP a M2 that they are guaranteed to sell faster than any other car? Every 18 M2 on dealer lots I was considering 2 weeks ago have already SOLD.

There are 17's around $50k if you will travel. 16's are mid to high $40's. 18's mid to high $50's. I think this sets the market, so you can determine where you want to buy. The smart move is a new 18 for $56k (I could get fleet) but I just couldnt find a MG manual in stock. So I went with a 4k mile 17 for $51k. In hindsight, I should have waited and spend another $5k to get a brand new 18.

It will continue to be a high demand car, b/c there is really nothing like it in this price range. While its not a "special" M car like the 1M, and its lacking true M engine like the S65/S85, it fills a niche in the market. I think BMW sees this and is willing to invest further into an M2 that will offer improved "M ness". The fist launch they kept conservative with costs down and not a big investment in engine, etc.

People dont buy M cars in the winter. Prices will go back up come April May when spring fever hits.

So net net: these cars will depreciate around 10 to 15% first year, 8 to 10% second year, then start to slow on years 4/5. Its a safe buy.

So go drive it, enjoy it, and you will get a reasonable return if you take car of it.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 02-03-2018 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: edit year
Appreciate 3
Destroya371.00
seis-speed2430.50
      02-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #93
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

My 2 cents..

I just traded my M2 in on a M3. I wish I had done it in early December, because the period between say December 15th - January 15th was not pretty for the M2. Many dealers have (and still might have) lots of incoming UNSOLD cars (confirmed looking at the BMW system, not cars.com or autotrader). The local dealer had TWO of the exact same cars I had - EXACT with the exception that one of them was a 18 and brand new. The 17? Used, but with only 1,000 miles. Truth be told, they did not want another LBB in stock and they were honest with me about it. While they gave me a fair number on the trade, they did not give me a fair number on the purchase, so I walked.

Fast forward to the end of January....
Used M2s seem to have gone up in price (there were lots below $50) and the local dealer has since moved those M2s. My gut says it was a dip, but trust me when I say this, M2 values will and are starting to fall. Supply IS catching up with demand. I still think the car is incredibly special and you won't be seeing a ton of them like you do the 230s and 240s, but you won't be waiting very long for one either - most dealers I've talked to have no waiting list. At least here in the Midwest.

And seriously, the anger an this thread about the M2 depreciating.... if you don't care, then don't post. Have you nothing better to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #94
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it seems like the prices are gonna take a big hit. I just got notice that all M2's (in Canada at least) can be leased by an employee of BMW for roughly $600cad a month.

I've been in line for an M2 variant for quite a while (first at my dealer), and I have been looking to get an M2 to satisfy the itch in the meantime. Now I'm seriously contemplating if I should go forward with my Competition or CS allocation when it comes.

I know I'm going to stir some pots here but I'm trying to gauge how you guys in the US are seeing this situation. My feeling is that M2 production has ramped up but no one wants these cars. I know a lot of pre lci M2 orders have been dropped for the lci but I don't know if people actually stuck around for the LCI.

An employee friend of mine leased a new 2017 M2 for roughly $965cad (employee pricing) about 5 months ago and with it being about $600 now, that's a worrying trend that I think the M2 is facing. Thoughts?

I purchased my 2017 for 60k in late 2016. Sold it for 57k last year. It is 2018 and the average used M2 on Carguru is 50-55k So after 2 years on the market the car has not devalued. Unlike the M3/4.

If you are leasing, why would you worry, you are going to return it anyway. If you own then the worry has more merit, but even then you purchase a car for the fun factor and not as an appreciating asset
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #95
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
"Canada is the highest per capita M market in the world and that's in a country where you are not allowed to drive fast. That shows how people think. Canadians like fun products." A quote from the former President of BMW Italy, Mexico, Eastern Europe, Nordic, & Canada
Are you sure, I think California haven't gotten that memo
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #96
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

I don’t understand the line of thinking about depreciation when purchasing an M2. Are there really people who buy one because they believe the depreciation will be minimal? Aren’t you missing the whole point? Are you going to not drive it so as to keep its value as high as possible?

If the M2 depreciates less than other vehicles that is a bonus, not a rationale to buy one. It’s a long way from being a collector.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #97
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
I don’t understand the line of thinking about depreciation when purchasing an M2. Are there really people who buy one because they believe the depreciation will be minimal? Aren’t you missing the whole point? Are you going to not drive it so as to keep its value as high as possible?

If the M2 depreciates less than other vehicles that is a bonus, not a rationale to buy one. It’s a long way from being a collector.
I think there is a portion of people that wished the M2 would maintain the same value as the 1M. But they won't for the obvious reason of limited numbers. If anyone wants an M car that will retain value and have similar if not better driving dynamics, get a used 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #98
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
My dealer has 6 on the lot. They were allocated 11 for the year.

The GM told me that they got tired of ordering their M cars in January and having them delivered in July/August when the season is half over and have them sit for the winter. So this year they ordered their entire allocation in the fall and they're ready to go to new customers when the weather turns.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #99
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

UK market being flooded with standard BMW spec pre-registered cars to hit January targets and over supply. Prices being driven down substantially.

Just in time for me to pick mine up Saturday
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #100
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
UK market being flooded with standard BMW spec pre-registered cars to hit January targets and over supply. Prices being driven down substantially.

Just in time for me to pick mine up Saturday
97 cars on AUC. Only 7 manuals. Too many DCTs sadly.
Appreciate 0