BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Motor Mount Replacement Experiences?

06-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #23
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Interested in selling your aluminum ones? If you're not tracking your car, I don't think the black Powerflex will melt.
Nope, they’re staying in until someone does a stiffer rubber mount I guess. I do 15-20 days per year on track. While it has some downsides, I’m hoping the mount inserts prolong the mount life. They aren’t fun to change…
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #24
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
We used an engine support bar and a jack under the trans bell housing. If you unbolt the engine mount bracket from the block, you can get the mount out without dropping the subframe.
Thanks. I ended up getting it with the engine support bar on some "stilts" I made. It also required me to remove the firewall to strut tower support brace and plastics close to it so that I could get the engine high enough to get the mounts out. I didn't have to lower the subframe.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      06-09-2023, 11:40 PM   #25
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I ended up getting it with the engine support bar on some "stilts" I made. It also required me to remove the firewall to strut tower support brace and plastics close to it so that I could get the engine high enough to get the mounts out. I didn't have to lower the subframe.
Good to hear you were able to sort it out.
Appreciate 1
M2guru399.00
      Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
For anyone who has installed the Powerflex motor mount insert (black / track), have you checked them lately? I just looked at mine after a few months of driving and about 10 track days and this is what I found:

Attachment 3198572
When you installed these inserts, how did you do them for the driver side? Did you have to remove the entire engine mount arm?
      Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #27
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
When you installed these inserts, how did you do them for the driver side? Did you have to remove the entire engine mount arm?
I don't think that I had to remove the arm of either side. In order to get the motor up high enough to get enough room for the mount I had to remove some of the cowl pieces - specifically the black plastic that goes across the center. When I was lifting the engine, it bumped up against that cowling so I removed it to get more height to swap out the mounts.

Not sure if I am answering your question sufficiently. Let me know if I am missing the mark.
Appreciate 1
F87source7263.00
      Today, 12:30 AM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
I don't think that I had to remove the arm of either side. In order to get the motor up high enough to get enough room for the mount I had to remove some of the cowl pieces - specifically the black plastic that goes across the center. When I was lifting the engine, it bumped up against that cowling so I removed it to get more height to swap out the mounts.

Not sure if I am answering your question sufficiently. Let me know if I am missing the mark.
How high are you able to lift the engine without causing too much strain on all of the other linking components?
      Today, 04:29 AM   #29
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
How high are you able to lift the engine without causing too much strain on all of the other linking components?
Good question! I didn't remember until you asked: because I have poly transmission mounts, that was the one thing I had to loosen up. I don't think a person have to do that if they had the stock rubber transmission mounts. Everything else was loose enough (that I could see) to get the motor high enough to do the motor mounts (I even took the turbo out through the bottom by lifting up the engine - took the mount arm off too though on the pass. side.). There was enough play in the intercooler piping (VRSF intercooler to intake manifold) to not cause any issues and apparently everywhere else. I didn't measure how far, but it was 2-3 inches I'd guess.
Appreciate 1
F87source7263.00