BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST BMW M2 In Depth Review from Laguna Seca

02-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #199
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

We gotta take all reviews with a grain of salt, especially those first tests.

I'm visiting my dealer tomorrow and I'm going to ask if they could give me an M2 for a day or two. #fingerscrosseditwontcostmeanarmandaleg
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #200
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
He is referring to the fact that M3 and 4, like many cars these days, have been polished to the point of being boring and unremarkable.
I agree.

The M3 and M4 are more like grand tourers now.

I feel like the M2 should have been the next M3 after the e46 M3.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #201
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I don't like his response to Artemis when he called the M2 suspension "supple".

Sam, can you give us more detail on that? Was is softer than the M4?
Well, I guess it doesn't matter because more than likely I will be getting the performance coil overs at some point.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #202
trackm4
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: MW M4

I didn't read this entire thread but did watch the video. Good review! It was a nice long review and I loved the fact that included both a road and a track section.

One thing that I didn't really care for in the review was just how many buzz words the reviewer used - Almost every sentence was littered with buzz words. Got really annoying by the end and made it hard for me to really believe the review. here's a few he used just within a span of a minute:

incisive
playful
throttle adjustable
dynamite
subtle balance of the chassis
interactive
dynamic
linear
frisky

I mean.. come on!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #203
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I agree.

The M3 and M4 are more like grand tourers now.

I feel like the M2 should have been the next M3 after the e46 M3.
The F8X cars are about the same size as the E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #204
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, I guess it doesn't matter because more than likely I will be getting the performance coil overs at some point.
Well the thing is that we all have different pain thresholds. People were calling my good friend crazy for thinking the GT4 is a completely DD-able car. I happen to agree with him.

My E36 M3 which is my current DD has PSS9 Bilsteins set on full stiff and it is far more brutal than this M2 will ever be. Hell, that same GT4 guy daily drives a 91 Honda Civic that essentially has no suspension. I legitimately hit the roof when I took that POS for a drive and went over an overpass.

And yes, he daily drives a rusty old Honda Civic and has a GT4 weekend car

I don't foresee the M2 being bad from factory at all to be honest
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #205
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Ride quality is subjective.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #206
jcocke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
How did you get to be number 1 so late??
I was in talks with a dealership a couple weeks ago, expressed my interest on an M2 and M3....he held my name in reserve until I decided on which car, then placed my deposit.

Keep mind, I'm doing ED, so not sure if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #207
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post

To summarize my feelings on the new F87 M2, this is the most exciting BMW I have driven since I started reviewing BMWs for BIMMERPOST. It is powerful, grippy and capable but unlike most modern performance cars today, it actually cares about the driver and involves him or her wholly in the experience. It is interactive, playful and approachable in a way that rivals the best driver's cars of all time. It is a deeply satisfying car to learn and will inspire you to become a better driver.

This the kind of M car that has been missing for a long, long time and what a pleasant surprise to find something like this in 2016. The M2 is all about the thrill of driving.

If you haven't ordered one already, do it now. I'm already looking for ways to get this car into my own garage.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome. I'll be here to chat with you on this thread and discuss this new M2. I'll also continue to update this post with additional written content as they come to mind.

BMW M2 vs 1M Coupe and 2002

I just watched your review and it was excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I will be VERY disappointed if you DON'T find your way into an M2.

When I got the chance to drive the 1M.. in many of the same situations that you did... (except Bill Auberlent wasn't present) .. My conclusions were EXACTLY the same as yours!

As a seventeen year E30 M3 owner.. the E36 and even the E46M3 were heavier cars to me and never excited me. I would have imported an E30 M3 Sport Evo if it were reasonably possible. When I drove the 1M.. the playfulness was BACK... ! It's still FAR heavier than the E30 M3.. but it's the closest to what that car feels like. It's a car that makes me grin, chortle and LAUGH just like you did when you said YEAH at points like 11:30 in your video with the M2.

All of your comments about driving behavior and dynamics are exactly what I feel about my 1M when compared to an E90 or an F80.

I was concerned that the M2 is more of an E46 version 2.0... but based on the video and the way the car reacted, it appears that is still does retain some of the characteristics of the 1M! The rear end is lively... but it looks like it's also better able to put down the power as well.

I'm absolutely in love with my 1M.... and happy to see that the M2 looks to be a 1M encore!

Someone needs to sticky this video and it should be mandatory viewing for anyone that looks down on an M2 buyer as if there is something wrong with their wallet because of their decision to not get an M4.

It's about driving dynamics! The 1M and M2 will absolutely put more smiles on your face when driving it compared to an E90 M3 or F80 M3/M4 .

Speaking of which... I am absolutely dying for more info on how the cars relate to each other and I just found this quote from Car and Driver ..

On long, winding esses, our thoughts wandered back to the late 1-series M, the M2’s predecessor. That little car still represents the best of BMW, a standard-bearer of the BMWs we knew and fell hard for before electrically assisted power steering. The M2 is a modern BMW, which means the steering is a bit removed and the stereo plays engine sounds. But it delivers the look and handling acumen, if not the irrepressible soul, of the 1-series M

Sweet!!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-17-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #208
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke View Post
I was in talks with a dealership a couple weeks ago, expressed my interest on an M2 and M3....he held my name in reserve until I decided on which car, then placed my deposit.

Keep mind, I'm doing ED, so not sure if that matters.
That's great.

BTW, your username is funny.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #209
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
I mean I understood it for what it was meant to be. He was overjoyed with the car, and did his best in a short frame of time to pull together not only the cinematographic aspects of this review, but the written portion, as well.

I'm not really sure how grammatical errors or minor nuances regarding tenses and adjective modification take away from the main principle of the review. Of course all reviews are subjective, so I'm sure that's a large part of it. But this is a BMW forum, consisting of BMW enthusiasts.

But that's just me. My $0.02 cents.
I understood the gist of his review but I don't quite get it when he compares it to the M3/M4 by saying those cars are too good for their own good. BMW is not going to outclass the M3/M4 with the M2 but reading between the lines it appears that the M2 is right on the knife's edge of performance difference between the two Ms.
Would explain why they didn't use the S55
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:15 AM   #210
JSP///M4C
Speedster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4C Sakhir Orange

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [6.00]
Awesome! A must have now, and it's been confirmed in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #211
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Would explain why they didn't use the S55
they didn't use an S55 because its not an M4

I can't understand why people keep trying to make the M2 and M4 nearly identical... an M6 is not an M4 is not an M2.. period.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #212
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Amazing car.

Thanks for posting. Can't wait to drive it!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #213
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Well the thing is that we all have different pain thresholds. People were calling my good friend crazy for thinking the GT4 is a completely DD-able car. I happen to agree with him.

My E36 M3 which is my current DD has PSS9 Bilsteins set on full stiff and it is far more brutal than this M2 will ever be. Hell, that same GT4 guy daily drives a 91 Honda Civic that essentially has no suspension. I legitimately hit the roof when I took that POS for a drive and went over an overpass.

An E36 on Bilsteins..... ABSOLUTELY far stiffer than the M2 will ever be..

that guy sounds like me LOL.. If an M2 CSL comes to market.. I will definitely be looking for an old Honda!

As an 1M owner.. I KNOW the M2 will be EXCELLENT from the factory...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #214
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

that guy sounds like me LOL.. If an M2 CSL comes to market.. I will definitely be looking for an old Honda!

If an M2 CSL 6MT comes out I will certainly do all I can to purchase one.

I have a feeling any CSL version will be DCT.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #215
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Stiff springs don't bother me. What I can't stand is hearing tons of road noise on rough pavement, or having to yell over the car when cruising down the talking to passengers.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #216
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Stiff springs don't bother me. What I can't stand is hearing tons of road noise on rough pavement, or having to yell over the car when cruising down the talking to passengers.
...or bright colors?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #217
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Must be the cameras microphone but it sounds like s***. Bmw feeding any sound through speakers?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #218
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Oh yea man, they are brutal. It's literally shaking my interior apart hahaha. Once I get the F80 and start using it as a DD, I'll resolve this.

The good thing about BMW these days is you can almost make it exactly the way you want from factory with a full warranty, minus the wheels.

Want a louder exhaust? MPE. Want a lower ride height? We got coilovers. Want to look like a stupid race car? We got stickers for you.

Pretty genius actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
If an M2 CSL 6MT comes out I will certainly do all I can to purchase one.

I have a feeling any CSL version will be DCT.
That's my concern as well. Maybe they'll pull a Porsche move and make the CSL a 6MT?

Then I would seriously have to consider the M2 platform again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
It won't be bad. These cars are so well insulated anyway (not talking about the actual insulations). The ASD does get a bit overwhelming sometimes for me, but you can easily code that out. I wouldn't let this stop you from getting an M2 at all.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #219
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Very exciting. Great job can't believe you did the WHOLE review by yourself Sam
I do have to give credit to Wolfgang Groeger-Meier, the BMW AG photographer who helped me shoot those external driving shots of me on the street. He did great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Awesome review Sam, thanks so much.

So just to clarify the throttle response was as good in the MDCT as in the manual, no delay at all?
My biggest hate in my 1 series is the poor throttle response with the DCT, your comment has given me hope that it won't be the same in the M2.

Does the exhaust make much noise on the MDCT during upshifts, have heard on some video's quite a 'fart' noise but couldn't hear it so much in your video?

So is the jury still out on the HUD?
Yes, as far as I can tell the throttle response of the DCT was the manual's equal. Keep in mind that your normal 1 series DCT tuning is not the same as that of an M car. The M DCT is far more aggressive.

I do know the fart noise you are talking about and I've heard it on other BMWs. I don't recall hearing that on the M2. If you must get the automatic, then this automatic is fine!

I'm thinking long and hard now about whether I saw a HUD on any of the M2s I drove, and I'm leaning towards no. It was definitely there on the X4M40i that we also drove (I had to adjust its projected height because I couldn't see it well) and I also noted it on the 640i GC on the commute because I used the GPS. I did not do either of those things in the M2s. Combine that with the literature that makes no mention of it and I'm leaning towards no. I was mistaken earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPWR View Post
Enjoyed that review, thanks for taking the time to share with us all Sam! Now to wait for my M2 to arrive
Congrats! You're going to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninX View Post
Thanks, that's also a great review. Do you have any thoughts about the upcoming 718?
I will reserve judgement until I drive one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hey Sam thanks for the video. It's great to hear that the M2 is more of a fun car compared to the M3/4. I have a F80 and F82 and I've told everyone who cares to listen that those cars are now way too torquey for it to be fun. The lack of linearity always bothered me, and they are just too big! We have a M135i that my other half drives and I actually prefer to drive that car most of the time because I feel like I can exploit the engine more and it's less turbo like in its delivery compared to the M3/4. I noted on Instagram that you have a GT4 coming (you liked the picture of mine yesterday that's how I noticed it lol). As a GT Porsche guy like you I'm very encouraged by your comments on the M2. Can't wait to get mine!
Sweet! Are you getting an M2 in addition to your GT4? That is crazy, you are one lucky SOB!

Quote:
I stayed up all night and read them all, and (no bias intended) Sam's review was the best. Way to go brother!
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robban View Post
Sam,

Great review and story!
Really impressed how you pulled this off.
Best review yet and very professional.
Thanks!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #220
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 | F95 X5M | F90 M5

Quote: