Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Odd Wiper Behaviour

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Folks,

I've had some odd behaviour from the wipers in the car, and I'm wondering whether anyone else has come across this before...?

I've got the automatic wipers engaged and from time-to-time when I start the car, the wipers will give a single wipe of the windscreen. It doesn't happen every time (about 6/10 times I'd say), and definitely isn't related to rain as it'll happen when I've got the car parked overnight in the garage ... and the windscreen was/is dry when the car is parked.

I'm thinking that the sensor is probably faulty, but perhaps its something that I'm doing..? The windscreen is generally pretty clean and the behaviour that I'm seeing doesn't appear to be related to some post-wash hangover ...

Any thoughts...?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
Phil_M2F87
Rep
Drives: M2 F87 LBB

Hi!
Does your car automatically have the Mode engaged for the wipers when you start it up ?
Because mine does not and every time i engage the auto wipe mode, it wipes once. Which is normal behavior to me.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

If it were me, I'd just turn off automatic wiper mode - automatic wipers are a solution in search of a problem.
      01-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi Phil,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_M2F87 View Post
Does your car automatically have the Mode engaged for the wipers when you start it up ?
Yes, I've turned this on: its one of those settings that survives from one startup to the next (I think its coded on the drivers key).

Quote:
Because mine does not and every time i engage the auto wipe mode, it wipes once.
Yes, that's the behaviour when you engage it as t he car assumes that the windscreen is wet.

What I'm talking about is where I have engaged the setting, turned off the car and then (some time later), started it again. The car shouldn't wipe the windscreen ... and it doesn't in nearly half the cases. But it does at other times ... and I can't work out what the logic is behind this.

Like I said, something isn't working as specified ... the car is approaching its run-in service, so I'll get it looked at as part of that review, but was hoping someone else had experienced the issue ... and what was done to fix it.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

my auto setting sometime goes crazy. In moderate drizzle, the wiper will wipe every 2-3 second but sometime it will go insane and wipe as fast as it can while the rain condition has not changed. something with the sensor that it thinks it's down pouring while it's not.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKepan View Post
my auto setting sometime goes crazy. In moderate drizzle, the wiper will wipe every 2-3 second but sometime it will go insane and wipe as fast as it can while the rain condition has not changed. something with the sensor that it thinks it's down pouring while it's not.
I have the same issue as above. Annoying. The speed sensitivity is off.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Phil_M2F87
Rep
Drives: M2 F87 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
Hi Phil,
Quote:
Yes, I've turned this on: its one of those settings that survives from one startup to the next (I think its coded on the drivers key).

Quote:
Because mine does not and every time i engage the auto wipe mode, it wipes once.
Yes, that's the behaviour when you engage it as t he car assumes that the windscreen is wet.

What I'm talking about is where I have engaged the setting, turned off the car and then (some time later), started it again. The car shouldn't wipe the windscreen ... and it doesn't in nearly half the cases. But it does at other times ... and I can't work out what the logic is behind this.

Like I said, something isn't working as specified ... the car is approaching its run-in service, so I'll get it looked at as part of that review, but was hoping someone else had experienced the issue ... and what was done to fix it.

Cheers,
Hi man,

Will test that tomorrow am, haven't noticed that behavior. Damn technology
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi MrKepan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKepan View Post
I had similar behaviour from my (now gone) Lexus - replacing the sensor seemed to address some of this, although the rain sensing wipers in that car never really worked as they should. I've had rain sensor wipers in my X6 for 5 years now and they've always worked as they should ... so my take is that BMW can get this technology right. Maybe get it looked at during the next service (replaced under warranty)...?

Hi QM,
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have the same issue as above. Annoying. The speed sensitivity is off.
I'd get that looked at (as I've said to MrKepan) as the technology does actually work in other BMW's. To be fair, I've not yet driven my M2 in the rain much (and I don't intend to), so I can't say whether the sensor is working correctly when it rains .... I'm fairly certain it isn't working when there is no rain

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If you leave the wipers in auto it will take one swipe at startup. It acts just as if you just put it in auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
If you leave the wipers in auto it will take one swipe at startup. It acts just as if you just put it in auto.
I don't think that is the correct behaviour DanG. The last 5 or 6 times I've started the car, the wipers haven't activated (as I would expect) ... and it wasn't the behaviour of the car for the first 1,000Km's (I'm currently at 1,700Km).

My last car (a Lexus) had the auto-wiper feature and it didn't wipe when the car started up - it doesn't make sense to do a wipe when the car starts as in most cases the windscreen would not be wet. However, it does make sense when you first activate the auto-wiper feature that it gives the screen a wipe.

I'll report it to BMW during the run-in service and see what they come back with ... and update the post then

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I don't think that is the correct behaviour DanG. The last 5 or 6 times I've started the car, the wipers haven't activated (as I would expect) ... and it wasn't the behaviour of the car for the first 1,000Km's (I'm currently at 1,700Km).

My last car (a Lexus) had the auto-wiper feature and it didn't wipe when the car started up - it doesn't make sense to do a wipe when the car starts as in most cases the windscreen would not be wet. However, it does make sense when you first activate the auto-wiper feature that it gives the screen a wipe.

I'll report it to BMW during the run-in service and see what they come back with ... and update the post then

Cheers,
On my 2018, the wiper stalk has four positions: single swipe, off, auto, medium, and high. If the stalk is left in auto it swipes once at startup.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
On my 2018, the wiper stalk has four positions: single swipe, off, auto, medium, and high. If the stalk is left in auto it swipes once at startup.
Not doubting your experience DanG, just observing that I don't believe that to be the correct form of operation

I've got a 2018 as well, so setting aside my views on whether it is correct and assume that your experience is what I should get ... then why doesn't the car behave the same way every time it starts...?

I guess, either way, I have a problem ... right...?

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #13
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
I've got a 2018 as well, so setting aside my views on whether it is correct and assume that your experience is what I should get ... then why doesn't the car behave the same way every time it starts...?

I guess, either way, I have a problem ... right...?

I think your wipers are misbehaving starting my my LCI with the wipers on 'Auto' nothing happens. A couple of times I've accidently left them on auto for several days only realising so when they came on with a bit of drizzle.
Appreciate 0