09-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Exec package

Hello all,

I haven't been on this forum for awhile. That said, I have a LBB, 6spd. on order. Can some here offer their opinions as to residual value of the Executive Package? I am strongly leaning towards going without it as I don't care about the reverse camera, or PDC sensors. I think the bumper looks much cleaner without the sensors. The only item I would desire from what I can tell is the wireless charging.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Interesting question. Usually add on packages get fully depreciated on a LEASE, but if you are purchasing the car, the Residual value is in the eye of the buyer. I suspect a buyer of a second hand 3 or 4 year old car would be looking for an optioned up car. I know that when others have looked for a second hand car they tend to try to find the one that was maxed out by the prior owner. This may improve your chances of a quick sale. I think in the 2020 market, people will expect such things as a back up camera and parking sensors. Just my opinion. If they were looking for strictly a "Track" car, then you are right, they would not care about those things. But the "track car" market is a much smaller market then the regular I need a nice used car market.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      09-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis
Interesting question. Usually add on packages get fully depreciated on a LEASE, but if you are purchasing the car, the Residual value is in the eye of the buyer. I suspect a buyer of a second hand 3 or 4 year old car would be looking for an optioned up car. I know that when others have looked for a second hand car they tend to try to find the one that was maxed out by the prior owner. This may improve your chances of a quick sale. I think in the 2020 market, people will expect such things as a back up camera and parking sensors. Just my opinion. If they were looking for strictly a "Track" car, then you are right, they would not care about those things. But the "track car" market is a much smaller market then the regular I need a nice used car market.

Mike
I agree my base model company truck has a backup camera and sensors. I can't believe those are options and not standard.
      09-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
I agree my base model company truck has a backup camera and sensors. I can't believe those are options and not standard.
It's amazing to see what electronics are STANDARD on Kia's and Hyundai's but not BMW's.

And while I am there, now come the M2 does not have a SYNC button for the Heat controls? My 2003 RS6 does not have this but every other car I have had since has the ability to sync the temp on both sides of the car!

How come the M2 does not have auto fold and unfold mirrors? If you switch the fold on it folds but will not unfold automatically?

Its a throw back to the 1960's cars were Back Up Lights were an option (Dealer installed , i.e. just screw in the bulb LOL).

Mike

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
It's amazing to see what electronics are STANDARD on Kia's and Hyundai's but not BMW's.

And while I am there, now come the M2 does not have a SYNC button for the Heat controls? My 2003 RS6 does not have this but every other car I have had since has the ability to sync the temp on both sides of the car!

How come the M2 does not have auto fold and unfold mirrors? If you switch the fold on it folds but will not unfold automatically?

Its a throw back to the 1960's cars were Back Up Lights were an option (Dealer installed , i.e. just screw in the bulb LOL).

Mike
The mirrors do auto fold in and out. It's just not coded for North American market.

Mine folds in/out when I lock/unlock the car now that it's been coded.
Appreciate 3
ric124452.00
Aronis2271.50
ried791.50
      09-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

Mike
tnx
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

I don't buy my car for the second buyer, I buy it for me. I also skipped on exec package because none of that stuff interests me other than maybe a backup camera. I don't need driving assists because I pay attention. The only thing I wished for was adaptive cruise control, that would convince me to add exec for that feature alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
I don't buy my car for the second buyer, I buy it for me. I also skipped on exec package because none of that stuff interests me other than maybe a backup camera. I don't need driving assists because I pay attention. The only thing I wished for was adaptive cruise control, that would convince me to add exec for that feature alone.
I have exec pkg and the cruise control is not adaptive.

You do get collision warning that will apply brakes if needed the camera can pick up cars and pedestrians. This should also save you some money from insurance.

Auto high beam which will as it says turn on high beams and dips if camera detects oncoming traffic or if a car in front gets in range. I just had the anti dazzle feature coded for this which adjusts the light range based on the traffic situation your are in. So if cars are further away from you the light extends and falls just behind the car in front. I've only driven with it last night so not fully tested yet. You need exec pkg to code this.

You get lane stay for when you drift out your lane the steering vibrates. A feature that's really not needed.

Heated steering - also not needed.

Backup camera - this is my first car with a backup camera not an option I normally opt for.

Speed limit info - camera picks up speed limit signs and displays on dash.

Wifi hotspot - BMW gives you 3 months or 3gb through att at my vehicle.att.com this also allows you to stream over wifi instead of using bt.

Wireless charging - iPhone user here so I will need to buy a case to use. Technology for wireless charging isn't ready anyway.

PDC - meh I know how to drive not needed.

Question is, is $1400 worth saving now for you to find out in the future only cars with exec pkg can get certain updates or a certain feature coded. Plus u get some savings from insurance.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Adaptive Cruise Control is EVIL, it messes with my radar detector! LOL.

I got the latest V1 and that ignores the adaptive cruise control, thankfully, but still run the old model in my RS6. What a pain to be on the road with an adaptive cruise car! I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a second updated model. Could not trade mine in since it is tooooo old LOL....

The M2 has Dynamic Cruise control though, it slows you down on the curves and applies brakes when you are going down hill so it still maintains your set speed.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
RD85
Rep
Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ

Surprised the Exec doesn't have adaptive CC, I love it in another car I've used it in. Seems like all the hardware is there for it, maybe an upgrade at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

One also might consider that the electronic nannies of the package of a greater likelihood of breaking. And when a PDC sensor breaks and starts beeping all the time, you have no choice but to fix it.
Appreciate 1
Sebis186.50
      09-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Can't anything the exec package adds be turned off and on at will?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #13
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Can't anything the exec package adds be turned off and on at will?
Bump. I'd like to know this as well.

Can things like driving assistant, auto high beams, and speed limit info be disabled?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
Bump. I'd like to know this as well.
Can things like driving assistant, auto high beams, and speed limit info be disabled?
  • driving assistant: yup (push the on/off buttons near your left knee for 'Lane Departure Warning' and 'Collision Warning' - you can also modify the distance for triggering the 'Collision Warning' (Early-Medium-Late));
  • High Beam Assist: yup (lower on/off button on the turn signal stalk);
  • Speed Limit Info: yup (untick the Speed Limit Info box in the iDrive settings for the onboard computer).
      10-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
The M2 has Dynamic Cruise control though, it slows you down on the curves and applies brakes when you are going down hill so it still maintains your set speed.
Like every other cruise control since 1985.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2271.50
      10-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #16
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • driving assistant: yup (push the on/off buttons near your left knee for 'Lane Departure Warning' and 'Collision Warning' - you can also modify the distance for triggering the 'Collision Warning' (Early-Medium-Late));
  • High Beam Assist: yup (lower on/off button on the turn signal stalk);
  • Speed Limit Info: yup (untick the Speed Limit Info box in the iDrive settings for the onboard computer).
Great thanks.

Do they all keep their settings when you turn the car off then back on? Or do you need to press any of them each time you drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Since I live north of the Mason-Dixon line, I ordered it primarily to get the heating steering wheel option. Granted, I might not have ordered it if it had been available as a separate option.
Check with your insurance carrier to see if you get a safety discount.
Unexpectedly the lane departure feature is making me a better driver.
If you're concerned with future resale value, consider that backup cameras will be standard by 2018 and buyers may be expecting that option.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/About-NHTSA/Pre...ity-Technology
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #18
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

I do not plan on getting this package, besides the camera there is nothing that interests me for such a car. In fact I wish BMW offered electric seats as optional, the same for iDrive/navigation. I plan to keep this car for a long time well past the time when all these electronics will be obsolete.

If you follow the 1M market, the most sought specimens are without nav and with manual seats.
      11-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #19
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

The heated steering wheel is VERY NICE!

Mike

Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      11-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've found the speed limit display more convenient than I thought I would.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #21
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

That speed limit display is interesting, it uses the iDrive map info and the onboard info to display the speed on the road the car thinks you are on based on the GPS, but the camera also reads the signs and will supersede the speed limit information in the car's hard drive and the car displays the correct speed.

I'd like to be able to re work the car's display though. I'd like to have the car's digital speedo and the speed limit info displayed at the same time! They could also put the speed limit info on the map display like it is in the Audi system. It seams that the coders at BMW go out of their way to make the available info cumbersome to see. Certainly the display should be able to show engine oil and water temps, speed limit info, car speed digitally, all at the same time. There is plenty of display real estate to show that info all at the same time.

Ah but the heated steering wheel, so nice...

Mike

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #22
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I agree about the display. The speed limit sign is off to the left and there is plenty of room to display just about anything. I usually like to display how much distance is left in the fuel tank.

Also, you can set a speed warning in iDrive so that it warns you if you exceed a certain speed. I have mine set to 70mph. I would prefer if you could set it to warn if you exceed the current speed limit by a certain mph. For example, set it to warn you when you hit 10mph over the current speed limit.
Appreciate 0