BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 mirrors. Do they all fold in?

09-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

M2 mirrors. Do they all fold in?

Hey

Picked up my BSM 3 weeks ago and loving it. Just curious about the mirrors. The dealer said they don't fold automatically so not sure whether that could be coded if the mechanism wasn't installed. I haven't tried folding them manually as I feel like I might break them.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks appreciate your help
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

They do fold in - press the push-button to the left of the L/R switch. If you want them to fold when you power off the car, check the F22 coding thread. It can be done.

edit: just saw your location. On the base car in the states, you need premium pack to get power folding. If your M2 is optioned differently then they may not power fold. In that case, you will not hurt them by manually pushing them in from the outside.
      09-24-2016, 02:06 AM   #3
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

It does with option 430(anti dazzle INT/EXT mirror).

In many markets, you have to tick the box to have it.
      09-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I've seen the term "anti dazzle" in a couple of forums (usually about lights). What does that mean?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I've seen the term "anti dazzle" in a couple of forums (usually about lights). What does that mean?
Its either for auto dimming mirrors, or for the automatic high beams to aim around cars and not blind the other drivers in their cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Anti dazzle mirrors is for the auto-dimming mirrors.

Anti dazzle headlights is for the automatic high beams, which are coded off for North America due to being deemed "unsafe" - same goes for any matrix led lights.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
RD85
Rep
Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ

That's interesting, as BMW USA advertises auto-high beams as part of the Exec Pkg.

edit: Or is it an additional feature for the auto-high beam to adjust the light, rather than just switch between low and high?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD85
That's interesting, as BMW USA advertises auto-high beams as part of the Exec Pkg.

edit: Or is it an additional feature for the auto-high beam to adjust the light, rather than just switch between low and high?
Auto high beams are available but different from anti dazzle. The one for NA is basically an on-off.

The anti dazzle can adjust light levels and angle. You can code it back on though
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If your M2 does not feature the "Comfort Access" option:
  • inside the car: push the left hand button inside the door near the L/R switch and the side mirrors fold straightaway (that won't work at a speed above ± 15 mph / 20 km/h);
  • outside the car: keep pushing the lock button on the remote and after a moment the side mirrors fold (if windows and sunroof are open: those all close first as long as you keep pushing the lock button - the opposite happens when you keep pushing the unlock button).
If your M2 features the "Comfort Access" option, you got an additional method:
  • keep your finger on the upper rear part of the door handle (just rest it - no pushing required) and after a moment the side mirrors fold (if windows and sunroof are open: those all close first as long as you keep resting your finger on the door handle); if you grab the door handle, the car unlocks + side mirrors fold out (if you had folded those by using your finger on the door handle).
Also: folded side mirrors will fold out automatically at a speed of ± 25 mph / 40 km/h.

Have not tested yet, but could be that both windows roll down/up and side mirrors fold out/in if you hold the key of the remote to the unlock or lock position inside the key hole.
      09-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
  • inside the car: push the left hand button inside the door near the L/R switch and the side mirrors fold straightaway (that won't work at a speed above ÃÂà ƒÂ‚‚Âà ƒÂ‚± 15 mph / 20 km/h);
  • outside the car: keep pushing the lock button on the remote and after a moment the side mirrors fold (if windows and sunroof are open: those all close first as long as you keep pushing the lock button - the opposite happens when you keep pushing the unlock button).
  • keep your finger on the upper rear part of the door handle (just rest it - no pushing required) and after a moment the side mirrors fold (if windows and sunroof are open: those all close first as long as you keep resting your finger on the door handle); if you grab the door handle, the car unlocks + side mirrors fold out (if you had folded those by using your finger on the door handle).
Also: folded side mirrors will fold out automatically at a speed of ÃÂà ƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚ÃƒÂƒÃ‚ÂƒÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚Ãƒ ƒÂ‚± 25 mph / 40 km/h.

Have not tested yet, but could be that both windows roll down/up and side mirrors fold out/in if you hold the key of the remote to the unlock or lock position inside the key hole.
Pretty sure Comfort access has nothing to do with mirror auto fold.

I know someone without comfort access has a button inside the car to fold like you mentioned above and someone with comfort access just cannot fold it at all.

It's the anti dazzle option that brings mirror as I said earlier.

Manually folding it when you have to or are asked to, really makes the owner look stupid, which is why I did my homework and ticked the right box
      09-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

Looks like my mirrors don't fold at all. No button pressing is helping and manual push looks like it'll break them. Wish the bmw dealer made this clearer at the time.

Oh well. First world problems x
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 01:59 AM   #12
caseymack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/MG/DCT/EXEC

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I went in for my BMW "Harmony" appointment over the weekend and mentioned this issue to my BMW genius. I told her that I was unable to fold my mirrors when locking and that part of comfort close is being able to hold the lock portion of my exterior handle down (or hold the lock button on the FOB) and have the mirrors close. Her initial response was that I need to download the user manual specific to my VIN into the BMW drivers guide app to get info specific to my vehicle. Luckily I had that version available and showed her it still said it was applicable. She seemed perplexed and said she would ask BMW NA and get back with me. Her research said that the exterior touch fold (aka comfort close) was only available for european models and that US vehicles should only be able to fold via the switch on the inside of the door.

Her text message verbatim: "Hi Casey, I just got off the phone with headquarters they said the mirrors folding in automatically is only a feature they have available in Europe. Even the vin specific apps have European specs unfortunately."

Hopefully someone can find this information useful in the future if they are having the same issue.
      02-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymack View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I went in for my BMW "Harmony" appointment over the weekend and mentioned this issue to my BMW genius. I told her that I was unable to fold my mirrors when locking and that part of comfort close is being able to hold the lock portion of my exterior handle down (or hold the lock button on the FOB) and have the mirrors close. Her initial response was that I need to download the user manual specific to my VIN into the BMW drivers guide app to get info specific to my vehicle. Luckily I had that version available and showed her it still said it was applicable. She seemed perplexed and said she would ask BMW NA and get back with me. Her research said that the exterior touch fold (aka comfort close) was only available for european models and that US vehicles should only be able to fold via the switch on the inside of the door.

Her text message verbatim: "Hi Casey, I just got off the phone with headquarters they said the mirrors folding in automatically is only a feature they have available in Europe. Even the vin specific apps have European specs unfortunately."

Hopefully someone can find this information useful in the future if they are having the same issue.
Most folks in NA get this "coded" in. I personally have not had my car coded yet, but I probably will this year. There are many things that can be coded in our cars including folding mirrors upon lock, 100% brightness on LED Angel Eyes at all times, Video in motion, turning off system chimes, coding out iDrive warning when you first turn the car on etc etc.
Appreciate 2
BruceM984.50
      02-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

MTHRAR tell me more about video in motion. In my A8L I could play video to the MMI from my iPhone. Can you do the same with the M2 or just from a video DVD?

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

My NA M2 without Exec Pack has mirrors that fold in and out with the cockpit button, and I've had the capability to fold them in with the remote, or with the door handle, coded in.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #16
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
MTHRAR tell me more about video in motion. In my A8L I could play video to the MMI from my iPhone. Can you do the same with the M2 or just from a video DVD?

Mike
I'm not 100% sure how it works. Take a look at the below thread. I know there are a ton of threads on this topic, but this lists what andrewc89 got coded. The first few items appears to be related to video.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=coding
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Most folks in NA get this "coded" in. I personally have not had my car coded yet, but I probably will this year. There are many things that can be coded in our cars including folding mirrors upon lock, 100% brightness on LED Angel Eyes at all times, Video in motion, turning off system chimes, coding out iDrive warning when you first turn the car on etc etc.
If you have an iOS device, do it yourself, don't pay someone $150 to do it:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1338157

Lots of us have used this app for coding. It's fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
I'm not 100% sure how it works. Take a look at the below thread. I know there are a ton of threads on this topic, but this lists what andrewc89 got coded. The first few items appears to be related to video.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=coding
Actually going back tmrw to add euro MDM, iDrive 6, and the B&O amp coding. The last two items aren't listed but i heard about them from a friend and requested them coded in after being told they are must-haves. Will update that thread or make a new one tmrw reviewing the changes and what i think about em.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 02-28-2017 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #19
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Actually going back tmrw to add euro MDM, iDrive 6, and the B&O amp coding. The last two items aren't listed but i heard about them from a friend and requested them coded in after being told they are must-haves. Will update that thread or make a new one tmrw reviewing the changes and what i think about em.
iDrive 6 is a must have? My understanding is that it's basically a minor graphics tweak from iDrive 5. Is that incorrect?

The B&0 amp coding sounds interesting. What is that?

I know what Euro MDM is, and my coder did not have it a few weeks ago. When he does, I'm all over that one...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
iDrive 6 is a must have? My understanding is that it's basically a minor graphics tweak from iDrive 5. Is that incorrect?

The B&0 amp coding sounds interesting. What is that?

I know what Euro MDM is, and my coder did not have it a few weeks ago. When he does, I'm all over that one...
It's just a new skin. Like live tiles vs the current menu. Looks cool and is a better user interface but that's it. The B&O sound mod is supposedly a huge improvement in audio volume/quality according to ///M Leardo
      03-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #21
fanshu
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43, 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • inside the car: push the left hand button inside the door near the L/R switch and the side mirrors fold straightaway (that won't work at a speed above ± 15 mph / 20 km/h);
Also: folded side mirrors will fold out automatically at a speed of ± 25 mph / 40 km/h.

Same for Hong Kong models
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #22
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Disclaimer: does not work for US and Canadian cars with comfort access. Apparently auto-folding BMW mirrors in NA is illegal or something (Audi's and MB's and hell even fucking Kia's do it here from the factory).
Appreciate 0