PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Congrats.

As some said before: simply push the Lane Departure Warning button next to the steering column (knee level next to the driver's door). The car memorizes this setting, so next time you'll start the engine it will be inactive.

Other small piece of advice: also set the "Collision Warning" (CW) in the iDrive settings to "Late" (instead of "Early" or "Medium"). My car freaked out inside an underground parking on delivery day: the "Collision Warning" system apparently 'thought' by mistake that I was bound to crash on a side curb whilst circling down a floor and 'decided' to violently slam the brakes. Kind of WTF moment. Once I had parked I immediately hunted down that setting in the iDrive and set it to "Late". Zero issues ever since. But also this feature can be turned off by simply pushing the CW button next to the steering column.

Personally I let both LDW and CW active. As you said, sometimes you can be distracted by tinkering with iDrive, choice of music or looking to other people on board smiling and giggling.
Thanks for the tip. I think mine is set to early will probably change it.

Side note: I still can't get over how linear the power delivery is on this motor. Its insane how it feels like its NA but still tons of torque.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #24
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Congrats.

Other small piece of advice: also set the "Collision Warning" (CW) in the iDrive settings to "Late" (instead of "Early" or "Medium"). My car freaked out inside an underground parking on delivery day: the "Collision Warning" system apparently 'thought' by mistake that I was bound to crash on a side curb whilst circling down a floor and 'decided' to violently slam the brakes. Kind of WTF moment. Once I had parked I immediately hunted down that setting in the iDrive and set it to "Late". Zero issues ever since. But also this feature can be turned off by simply pushing the CW button next to the steering column.
That is interesting. I have mine set on Early and I was just in a parking garage on Monday, never saw the light come on and I got close to walls on the turns also. It seems there is some variability in the system that may be wider than I would have hoped.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #25
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Congrats.

As some said before: simply push the Lane Departure Warning button next to the steering column (knee level next to the driver's door). The car memorizes this setting, so next time you'll start the engine it will be inactive.

Personally I let both LDW and CW active. As you said, sometimes you can be distracted by tinkering with iDrive, choice of music or looking to other people on board smiling and giggling.
Mine's done that while parking in my driveway to me a few times. I know I'm not going to crash into one of my other cars but my M2 sure thinks I am. I'll try medium if its not set to that already and then go for late if that is still bothersome.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #26
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post

Side note: I still can't get over how linear the power delivery is on this motor. Its insane how it feels like its NA but still tons of torque.
And the engine still PULLS over 90mph. Tested this on the autobahn, of course. Truth be told I didn't surpass 105 due to break-in "rules".

I think the 6MT trans is good but does anyone like sitting close to the pedals and steering wheel? I found a great driving position but now the shifter is positioned a bit too far back so pulling the gear lever backwards feels like I really have to row my arm back over the armrest. Not a big deal, just an observation. If I had longer legs I could move the seat back and be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #27
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
And the engine still PULLS over 90mph. Tested this on the autobahn, of course. Truth be told I didn't surpass 105 due to break-in "rules".

I think the 6MT trans is good but does anyone like sitting close to the pedals and steering wheel? I found a great driving position but now the shifter is positioned a bit too far back so pulling the gear lever backwards feels like I really have to row my arm back over the armrest. Not a big deal, just an observation. If I had longer legs I could move the seat back and be fine.
I'm 5'11 and it seems like the ergonomics of the 2 series just work for me. I've always been able to find the exact right spot in both my old M235i and my new M2. I guess my bodies proportions are just what the 2 series called for
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #28
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

One other thing: the gauge issue in daylight in certain angles is real.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #29
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2ME2 View Post
Bonus, my f30 engine shut off resets all the time, glad to see they fixed that in the M2.
They fixed it in all BMWs (2014 and higher I believe) - and your dealer can fix it for you at no charge as well.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636783
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #30
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Picked up my M2 6mt yesterday doing PCD and figured I'd give first impressions with 250 miles on it driving home:

-I like the sport+ throttle mapping the best
-the exhaust sounds amazing and is quieter than lead to believe in the videos
-the overrun popping on throttle lift is sweet and you can actually hear the turbo spooling down at low speeds
-I think these seats are more comfortable, but slightly less supportive than M4 seats
-There is a bit of exhaust drone in sport/sport+ on the highway
-The steering feels great.
-Lane departure warning is annoying but useful
-The interior is "spartan" but extremely functional and driver oriented. I also like the open pore CF trim.

Unfortunately the car will sit the next two days while we get gas resupplies in NC.

Also, do PCD if you can....great experience with those guys highly recommended.

Congrats buddy! Glad to hear you are enjoying the car! This gas shortage is pretty frustrating and its been forcing me to drive my e28 around all week (takes regular and cannot find premium anywhere). We should meet up sometime soon as I have yet to see another M2 in the flesh! What color did you spec??
      09-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #31
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirci View Post
Congrats buddy! Glad to hear you are enjoying the car! This gas shortage is pretty frustrating and its been forcing me to drive my e28 around all week (takes regular and cannot find premium anywhere). We should meet up sometime soon as I have yet to see another M2 in the flesh! What color did you spec??
LBB 6 speed w/ exec package. I drove it to work today with 1/4 tank just for show off purposes lol. Called like 10 gas stations none with premium so its gonna sit in my garage probably for the next few days. I need to give it a good wash anyway this weekend since it got dirty from all the rain.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #32
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Any first thoughts about the manual gearbox and the long clutch travel?
For me It's fine.... I have a 2011 WRX with short throw and it's a little shorter than WRX.

I like the clutch better on M2 cause it is very light. I also love the rev match! Yes I'm a bit lazy but I think it'll come very useful for trackdays.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #33
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Any first thoughts about the manual gearbox and the long clutch travel?
http://www.hpashop.com/searchquick-s...c?keywords=UCP

I'm holding off most purchases until I actually get my car in a 2-3 months (week 43 build), but I KNOW I'm going to install this, so one is on its way. I drove an F82 6MT, and the clutch pedal effort was way too light for me, and the travel too long.

Will take the car, put this in, then consider which SSK to get, because I also thought the stock box was too vague. Didn't have that short, notchy, slotted feel I like.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:23 AM   #34
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
http://www.hpashop.com/searchquick-s...c?keywords=UCP

I'm holding off most purchases until I actually get my car in a 2-3 months (week 43 build), but I KNOW I'm going to install this, so one is on its way. I drove an F82 6MT, and the clutch pedal effort was way too light for me, and the travel too long.

Will take the car, put this in, then consider which SSK to get, because I also thought the stock box was too vague. Didn't have that short, notchy, slotted feel I like.
Cool!
      09-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #35
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Cool!
Yup. Got the UCC kit, too. So all I need is the car to put this stuff in.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #36
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Gearbox feels amazing. I thought the 6 speed in my MS3 was decent but this blows it away. Clutch travel is a little long but I'm already used to it. If anything it makes me less likely to miss a shift since my foot is faster than my hands.
I got somewhat used to it after driving the M2 for 2.500km and I can certainly live with it, but for me it was the only thing they could actually improve on the car…..and I did improve it on my car! After 3.500km I fitted the UCP replacement clutch pedal and it made everything I did not like about the standard M2 clutch go away. This modification is cheap and gives a night and day difference on how the M2 clutch feels. I love it and love my M2 even more