BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > DCT owners who don't track, any regrets?

09-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #45
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
These threads are useless, if you're a diehard manual guy you would never consider a dct. Those on the fence will be happy either way and those who want a dct will be happy with a dct so it's simple. Buy what you think will be the best and ignore what everyone else thinks. The only person who gets a vote on my car is me. In response to the auto journalists who all say get a manual you need to consider the audience. These guys get these cars for a few minutes to a few days, they aren't living with them in traffic day to day. There is a reason dct cars outsell manuals, they are easier to live with. In terms of resale a comment was made that manual cars resale higher and cited the e46 m cars, that is silly, totally different transmission. The smg is junk so nobody wants one. The dct is pretty solid and outperforms pretty much anything, manuals will always have an audience but we should use apples to apples comparisons.
Agree. And I extend your comments even further... Only person that gets input on my car selection is ME.

No buying a DCT because your lame ass girl/wife/SO doesn't want to learn to drive a manual. That's why he/she/it has their own car - unless you are a single car family.

No using that as an excuse either.

And if you want a DCT Then stand up for yourself - don't blame the girlfriend for your selection and quit trying to call your automatic an "Automated manual "
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #46
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

I've only driven mine for a couple days, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I traded in a Lotus Elise SC and an Abarth both manual for the M2 which has DCT. It was the only M2 left in the country, so I convinced myself that DCT is the way to go as I've had DSG before and PDK on my DD right now.

Enough background story, after 2 days of ownership, I miss my Lotus and I miss my manual. And I haven't even brought it to the track yet. Seeing those pics from TMP with the Alfa and Lotus sure doesn't help...

The DCT is better than a normal slush box, but not as good as DSG and inferior to PDK. I read another thread when someone said the same thing, and I was thinking that the poster probably had some Porsche bias in his review, how can a human feel that 0.000001 second of delay... I was wrong, especially on down shifts. Up shifts are quick in sport mode or full throttle, so yes, in terms of performance, there's no doubt it will be better than stick.

Maybe I'll grow into, maybe I'm making some unfair comparisons. But at this point, I'm disappointed and wish I went stick.

On a side note, it's funny how these type of debate still exists after 8 years. There were so many flame wars when the first mass produced dual clutch was introduced. Is it automatic? It doesn't have a torque converter! It doesn't have a 3rd pedal! I can manual select the gear! But you have an option to go Auto! You shift with pedals! But I can shift with the stick too! But it's not an H pattern. But race cars have sequential shifts too!...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Car ended production today and the update is that the vehicle is en route to the port of exit. Anyone have prior experience of how long it'll take from this point to deliver in NYC?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #48
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I'm coming from a DCT M3, and I plan on getting a manual. The car is almost certainly not going to be tracked (no tracks in our state, and an ocean separating us from any) so I'm not chasing that extra millisecond.

I figure the car is about a fun driving experience. For me, that's a stick.

I liked the DCT, but for every day driving, I thought it lacked involvement. Plus, the DCT makes a lot of weird noises which always made me worry about when it would inevitably need repair.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00