BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > DCT owners who don't track, any regrets?

09-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

DCT owners who don't track, any regrets?

Just as I was about to give up my search, I've been able to snag an allocation that began build yesterday with expected delivery early/mid October!!
A huge thanks to DVuk for securing me his spot!!!

LBB DCT with all the standard goodies.
Car went into production yesterday but CA told me he can potentially switch me to manual.

I'm hoping to hear from those who chose DCT, do you have any regrets not going manual? Especially if you do not track. This will be my DD to NYC but I feel as if this car deserves a manual transmission.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I'd think most ppl would've gotten DCT due to traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I wonder which option would hold its value best after 5-6 years. Less people driving manuals but those purists would probably want to buy this car in manual.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname
Quote:
I wonder which option would hold its value best after 5-6 years. Less people driving manuals but those purists would probably want to buy this car in manual.
You're not buying the car for resale value. Don't let that be a factor.

I got DCT but regretted it or so I thought. Mind you, I've never had a DD that was manual so I'm not sure who I'm kidding thinking I could roll for hours on the BQE. I have no immediate plans to track the car but given the amount of traffic I'm in on a daily basis; I would've by now with manual so I wouldn't worry. The car is still fun. No regrets.

I actually just saw my first m2 in the city just now. LBB too. Haven't seen one besides my BSM yet and I've had the car since the beginning of April.
      09-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

I have loved every double clutch transmission I've driven. Admittedly, BMW has a rep for the DCT being weaker than DSG/PDK/stronic. But I have to imagine that, in addition to ending up with a faster car, it'll make your life a little easier in traffic.

People are saying the clutch in the manual is extremely lightweight too.
      09-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I drove four manual cars in a row from 1986 through 2000 and never had an issue with driving in traffic. You get so used to a manual transmission that its second nature, and you become the Automatic! (81 Honda Accord, 87 Honda CRX, 94 BMW 325is, and 97 BMW M3).

With my first automatic (2000 Audi A6 4.2) I missed the MANUAL TRANSMISSION and was not happy that the RS6 did not come with one! That said transmission is the weakest link in the RS6. I drove four automatics since then (A6, RS6, A4 cab, A8L).

When I looked at getting a new BMW I wanted to find one with a manual transmission but with the M2 I took what I could find! Did not care about color or transmission but wanted the executive package. I am very happy with the DCT. It shifts really really fast, responds to the input from the paddles very quickly and is basically close enough to a manual for me. And the auto transmission M2 is faster to boot! I had a change to drive a 340 with a manual and it is a very nice shifting transmission, I assume the M2 manual is similar, and I think I would have been very happy with a manual as well.

One issue...if you get the DCT it is easier for your non-manual transmission enabled friends/spouse/relative to want to drive it! For the life of me I can not get my wife to drive my RS6 or the A8L, but she did drive the A6 a few times with a huge shit eating grin on her face. She will likely never drive the M2.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
I was told by my SA that once the car actually went into production it was too late to make changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
My first DD that's is NOT manual and I am finding that I am happy to let the DCT do the work in city driving. No regrets.

I do have other manual cars to satisfy any urge to swap cogs anyway.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #9
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M
My first DD that's is NOT manual and I am finding that I am happy to let the DCT do the work in city driving. No regrets.

That would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately this will be my only DD for at least 2-3 years.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Having owned mostly manuals for the better part of two decades, when I switched to DSG for one of the vehicles (I drove Audis/VWs for a decade), I found I missed the manual.

I found that while convenient in traffic/city driving, that convenience turned into laziness in other driving situations. I would typically not shift manually at all even though I had the option. The experience of driving for me is engagement. I am on a track maybe once every couple of years being generous so scratching off tenths of acceleration time had no meaning for me.

It is all about engagement and manual can offer that for me in day to day driving. As far as driving into NYC every day, I would be more concerned with road quality/potholes than manual. Maybe some premature clutch wear which is no longer included as part of the included maintenance in 2017.
Appreciate 2
Ramos862.50
      09-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV
Quote:
Quote:
You're not buying the car for resale value. Don't let that be a factor.

I got DCT but regretted it or so I thought. Mind you, I've never had a DD that was manual so I'm not sure who I'm kidding thinking I could roll for hours on the BQE. I have no immediate plans to track the car but given the amount of traffic I'm in on a daily basis; I would've by now with manual so I wouldn't worry. The car is still fun. No regrets.

I actually just saw my first m2 in the city just now. LBB too. Haven't seen one besides my BSM yet and I've had the car since the beginning of April.
Its really nice not seeing yourself everyday isn't it.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      09-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M

That would be the best of both worlds. Unfortunately this will be my only DD for at least 2-3 years.
If you have no other option for a manual in your household and you think you are going to miss a 6Mt you should get it.

It's got auto rev match and hill holder... And A featherweight clutch effort, it also has all the torque in the world to lug at 1500 rpm in second gear in traffic...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
GVN*2FLY
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘16 GT4|‘22 X3MC

I have DCT and am extremely happy with the transmission.

My qualifier is that I've driven standards since 1983, including big block american muscle V8s to hi-performance open-wheel racers to M cars. I raced 2 stroke MX bikes from 82-89, which was all about keeping the throttle in the power band between gears. I also had an E46 330Ci with BMW's first manu-matic, which I bought due to city commuting traffic and was overwhelmingly disappointing.

While driving a manual is fun, I love the DCT gearbox. The shifting is absolutely lightning fast and with M2's very broad powerband, I look at it as the DCT allows we me to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times and never guessing on which gear I should be in. The result is my cornering is better and I take optimal lines, focusing on throttle-to-braking transition entering and braking-to-throttle exiting the apex.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 1
rjn43.50
      09-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
If you have no other option for a manual in your household and you think you are going to miss a 6Mt you should get it.

It's got auto rev match and hill holder... And A featherweight clutch effort, it also has all the torque in the world to lug at 1500 rpm in second gear in traffic...
For once I gotta agree with Mark.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
It's got auto rev match and hill holder...
So, the 6MT has hill holder? I did not know that. -scr
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob
Quote:
It's got auto rev match and hill holder...
So, the 6MT has hill holder? I did not know that. -scr
My 2011 1M does yes. I can't imagine why the M2 wouldn't.

Between the hill holder, the light clutch effort, and auto rev match, there not much left for a novice Manual transmission driver to learn.

Anyone that doesn't know how to drive a manual can easily learn on the M2. As a matter of fact anyone struggling to learn to drive a manual on this car probably shouldn't be driving at all or simply doesn't want to learn.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #17
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks, I sure hope so. The last MT BMW I bought was an E46 M3 back in 2001 - it just loved to roll back on hills, especially steep ones. -scr
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob
Quote:
Thanks, I sure hope so. The last MT BMW I bought was an E46 M3 back in 2001 - it just loved to roll back on hills, especially steep ones. -scr
Check the m2 features , I am 99% positive it will have this.

The hill holder engages automatically when the car is on an upward slope and it applies a 2-3 second hold and then it releases. There are no warnings or alarms.

I've been driving manuals for decades so for the longest time it kinda freaked me out. I had a sloped driveway and if I pulled into the drive and hit the brake and waited for the garage door to go up then the hill holder would take over, even though I was anticipating it rolling back.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      09-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #19
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you're on the fence get the manual, it's cheaper and will hold resale and every reviewer claimed it was better. Look at used E46 prices of SMG vs 6MT. But if you're leaning towards the DCT then go that way, it's a great box and most likely you won't regret it eitherway.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheard View Post

My qualifier is that I've driven standards since 1983, including big block american muscle V8s to hi-performance open-wheel racers to M cars. I raced 2 stroke MX bikes from 82-89, which was all about keeping the throttle in the power band between gears. I also had an E46 330Ci with BMW's first manu-matic, which I bought due to city commuting traffic and was overwhelmingly disappointing.

While driving a manual is fun, I love the DCT gearbox. The shifting is absolutely lightning fast and with M2's very broad powerband, I look at it as the DCT allows we me to keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times and never guessing on which gear I should be in. The result is my cornering is better and I take optimal lines, focusing on throttle-to-braking transition entering and braking-to-throttle exiting the apex.

Just my $.02
I know myself and know that I won't be using the manual shifting option on DCT (i.e. the paddles) never used them in my DSG.

Do you think DCT is still worth getting if it won't be used in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc
Quote:

Just my $.02
I know myself and know that I won't be using the manual shifting option on DCT (i.e. the paddles) never used them in my DSG.

A DCT is an automatic, so....you will just be paying a lot for your automatic transmission
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc
Quote:

Just my $.02

When I had my DCT m3, I never once drove in fully automatic other than in 2hr traffic. All the other times was fully "manual mode" I'm strange in the fact that I rarely used the pedals. Always used the DCT lever. Maybe it was to fill the void of not having a manual during those 4 years
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0