BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Thinking about a BMW M2….but I already have a BMW M

05-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Question Thinking about a BMW M2….but I already have a BMW M

I test drove a e92 M3 V8 (with DKG) for a week and decided this was not the daily car for my needs…. A lovely car and a great engine but you have to drive it really fast to really enjoy it…the car begs to be driven fast and on public roads that's not possible. I also drove a BMW M4 (with DKG). I really did not like this car; It felt to big, I did not like the noise, the steering feel, the traction and the power delivery.

Now there is the M2…it is about the same size as the e46M3 and for me that is the perfect size of a daily car. I don’t like big cars… I also don’t get it why every generation of 3-series has to be bigger then the last one

The M2 (with manual transmission) sounds great on paper and every review is really positive about the car. Most car journalist love it…mmmm that caught me thinking and maybe I will love it to? Who knows! So I have arranged a test drive with a M2...sadly it is one with M-DKG transmission, but most people will order this one. So I can understand that they have this M2 for a test car. I will know in 2 weeks how it drives.

On picture I was not fully convinced about the M2 look (I also don’t like that blue color)…but last week I saw one in real life, in the right color (black)… The front bumper is not so nice (the one on the M3/M4 is way more subtle), but in black it looks rather nice and the overall look is good. The wheels are in 2-color and that is something I also don’t like, but I think a respray in ferric grey can solve this for me and maybe fit different wheels one day (like the ones on the 1M).

But what if I like the BMW M2…what then? Should I buy/order one for 2017 delivery? I already have a BMW-M…do I need a BMW-M as my daily car and what will this do with my feeling about my Z4M?

I’m a little afraid that driving everyday with a BMW-M will make my beloved Z4M feel less special and less intoxicating then now. My daily car is now a 12 year old e46 325i estate with full M-tech + Bilstein suspension and every option (manual transmission). I drive my Z4M on my free days when the weather is good or when I go on a track day… The Z4M does 15.000km a year….my 325i touring (daily) does 18.000km a year..

Also when going to my monthly trackday (Nurburgring) will I be tempted to take the M2 instead of my modified Z4M (Bilstein PSS-10 suspension + AP brakes all round + CSL wheels, etc)…. My Z4M is the one I also intended/bought for the occasional track use.

Other alternative cars on the list of replacing my daily 325i are; a used Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo estate (2014 / non X-drive) / used C63 AMG estate (2012/2013). I'm thinking that maybe the Alpina B3 estate is the best daily choice for me and makes the most sense. It is also more of a different car then my Z4M… A BMW M2 is maybe a little bit more in the same region as my Z4M…..? But it could be that I really love how the M2 drives….
      05-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I have nothing to add other than my M2 is the first M car that I've bought and I have plans to add a Z4M coupe when the time is right and hopefully I find a low mileage one. To me, the Z is a classic and also my unicorn BMW. The M2 is definitely a daily driver so I think you'll be good with both. Keep z4m and get the M2 in DCT.

Ps any new car will have more technology than a ten year old car but I don't care. Zmc is
      05-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

If you're going to keep the Z4M I'd get the Alpina B3 or 335i.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
If you're going to keep the Z4M I'd get the Alpina B3 or 335i.
My Z4M (roadster) is here to stay 😎
The new car is to replace my daily driver (325i).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

If you like the combination of cars you have now, I'd stick with the formula and go with the Alpina B3 estate. That's like an M3 wagon which is nothing short of amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
I test drove a e92 M3 V8 (with DKG) for a week and decided this was not the daily car for my needs…. A lovely car and a great engine but you have to drive it really fast to really enjoy it…the car begs to be driven fast and on public roads that's not possible. I also drove a BMW M4 (with DKG). I really did not like this car; It felt to big, I did not like the noise, the steering feel, the traction and the power delivery.

Now there is the M2…it is about the same size as the e46M3 and for me that is the perfect size of a daily car. I don’t like big cars… I also don’t get it why every generation of 3-series has to be bigger then the last one

The M2 (with manual transmission) sounds great on paper and every review is really positive about the car. Most car journalist love it…mmmm that caught me thinking and maybe I will love it to? Who knows! So I have arranged a test drive with a M2...sadly it is one with M-DKG transmission, but most people will order this one. So I can understand that they have this M2 for a test car. I will know in 2 weeks how it drives.

On picture I was not fully convinced about the M2 look (I also don’t like that blue color)…but last week I saw one in real life, in the right color (black)… The front bumper is not so nice (the one on the M3/M4 is way more subtle), but in black it looks rather nice and the overall look is good. The wheels are in 2-color and that is something I also don’t like, but I think a respray in ferric grey can solve this for me and maybe fit different wheels one day (like the ones on the 1M).

But what if I like the BMW M2…what then? Should I buy/order one for 2017 delivery? I already have a BMW-M…do I need a BMW-M as my daily car and what will this do with my feeling about my Z4M?

I’m a little afraid that driving everyday with a BMW-M will make my beloved Z4M feel less special and less intoxicating then now. My daily car is now a 12 year old e46 325i estate with full M-tech + Bilstein suspension and every option (manual transmission). I drive my Z4M on my free days when the weather is good or when I go on a track day… The Z4M does 15.000km a year….my 325i touring (daily) does 18.000km a year..

Also when going to my monthly trackday (Nurburgring) will I be tempted to take the M2 instead of my modified Z4M (Bilstein PSS-10 suspension + AP brakes all round + CSL wheels, etc)…. My Z4M is the one I also intended/bought for the occasional track use.

Other alternative cars on the list of replacing my daily 325i are; a used Alpina B3 Bi-Turbo estate (2014 / non X-drive) / used C63 AMG estate (2012/2013). I'm thinking that maybe the Alpina B3 estate is the best daily choice for me and makes the most sense. It is also more of a different car then my Z4M… A BMW M2 is maybe a little bit more in the same region as my Z4M…..? But it could be that I really love how the M2 drives….
I'm not sure I understand. You say you don't like the size of the M4, but you are considering wagons to replace your daily?

Here's my take. Adding an M2 would not make your Z4M less special. I was watching a review for an E36 M3 and he said something very interesting. He said you can have multiple M's and not have a redundant car. He makes a great point because I hope to have 3 M3's by this time next year (E36, E92 and F80) and they're pretty much completely different cars as far as I'm concerned.

The M2 will be completely different to your Z4M. Coupe vs Roadster, high revving NA vs turbo, light vs not that light ect ect...

Having said that, I'm a big fan of wagons though, and I would love to have a high performance one that you guys get in Europe
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Get the M2 so you can compare it to the Z4M roadster directly for me .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
boi222
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3m competition

What is a DKG?
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe
'07 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi222
What is a DKG?
DKG is German for DCT

Doppelkupplungsgetriebe
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #10
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm not sure I understand. You say you don't like the size of the M4, but you are considering wagons to replace your daily?
I meant it "felt" big for a car with that performance...not that nimble, lively, and throwable like the older M3 cars. Size wise it made me feel a little like a e39 M5 and not a M3. For me an M3/M4 should be more compact as it used to be the most sportcar orientated M model... Now this is not the case anymore and also the reason there is a demand, market for a smaller M2. It fits the gap so nicely and besides the engine and steering, on paper the M2 looks somewhat as a modern interpretation of a e46 M3.

I'm not saying the actual size of the M3/M4 is to big for me....then it would indeed be strange to consider a 2014 Alpina B3 wagon that is the same generation of 3-series and around the same size. Size wise the latest generation 3 series is indeed a bigger car and on the limit of what I find nice and usefull on the road and in the city.... I could perfectly live with a Alpina B3/C63 AMG...but not any bigger.

I love the look, sound, set-up from the latest RS6...but that car is so big....same story with the latest M5. It feels like to big a car and it's hell to find a parking spot in European city centers with that size.
      05-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #11
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Other than having an M badge, I don't see anything similar between an M2 or Z4M.
I don't think you'll have any problem owning them both.

The question is really do you need the utility of a wagon (estate), cause that's a different question.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
I’m a little afraid that driving everyday with a BMW-M will make my beloved Z4M feel less special and less intoxicating then now...
Also when going to my monthly trackday (Nurburgring) will I be tempted to take the M2 instead of my modified Z4M.
Yes and yes.

By all accounts the M2 is a much better driver's car than the Z4M. Even though the Z4M has a lot of other things going for it, having a M2 as your DD will probably make the Z4M give you less of a rush.

... and I am sure you will want to take the M2 to the track sometimes (instead of the Z4M). They are comparable but different cars, so why not?

If those are your reasons for hesitating to consider the M2... why not get a Fiat 500 as your DD and make the Z4M feel even better by comparison?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I agree with your comments on vehicle size, and the current 3 series is pushing on the limit of what I would want in terms of a larger vehicle for daily driving.

The M2 is an *outstanding * daily driver , perhaps slightly noisy a little of a rough ride but nothing compared to the Z4 chassis which can have a choppy ride at the rear. This same lively rear end and the mechanical steering will have you rejoicing in the Z4m as a weekender.

Then back to the M2 and it's very soft, nearly antiseptic controls for the daily grind.

I would expect that you would be tempted to track the M2 on occasion, and it will be Way faster than your modified Z4M, but likely not more fun an overall experience. Good luck in your wagon decision, if you don't need the utility of a wagon the M2 would be perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I have nothing to add other than my M2 is the first M car that I've bought and I have plans to add a Z4M coupe when the time is right and hopefully I find a low mileage one. To me, the Z is a classic and also my unicorn BMW. The M2 is definitely a daily driver so I think you'll be good with both. Keep z4m and get the M2 in DCT.

Ps any new car will have more technology than a ten year old car but I don't care. Zmc is
Mine is a roadster…I have bought when it had low mileage…but that low mileage is allready long gone

05-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I would expect that you would be tempted to track the M2 on occasion, and it will be Way faster than your modified Z4M, but likely not more fun an overall experience.
My Z4M has some modification with track use in mind; full AP racing brake kit with Pagid pads, steel brake linings, high temp brake oil, Bilstein PSS-10 suspension, Vibratech engine mounts, Turner motorsport RTAB limiters, custom made extra brake cooling… It could be that a OEM M2 is faster at track, but more fun is another question (especially in standard OEM spec). The OEM M2 brakes will never be at the level of my AP racing brake, same story with the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Good luck in your wagon decision, if you don't need the utility of a wagon the M2 would be perfect
Nowadays I don't necessarily need a wagon/estate as my daily car. I need a reasonable trunk size (folding rear seats) and a little low profile look (for work purposes)… The Z4M is to small and stand outs to much for everyday use to work.

As a daily car; I like the low profile/utility look of a wagon more then a 4-doors or even a coupe (yes; I know the M2 is a coupe)… That's why the other options besides the M2 are a used Alpina B3 wagon and C63 wagon.
      05-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #16
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

The M2 will not be able to create the feeling you get when you go topless
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

I took delivery of my 6 speed manual M2 two weeks ago.

I currently own an S54 Z3 M coupe and a 2011 1M. I plan on keeping all three....Previous to that I owned an E90 M3 sedan and an E46 M3.

I agree with you about the M3/M4 being too big, etc. The M2 is perfect. Use the M2 as your daily driver and keep the Z4M roadster for the track and the weekends.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #18
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I took delivery of my 6 speed manual M2 two weeks ago.

I currently own an S54 Z3 M coupe and a 2011 1M. I plan on keeping all three....Previous to that I owned an E90 M3 sedan and an E46 M3.

I agree with you about the M3/M4 being too big, etc. The M2 is perfect. Use the M2 as your daily driver and keep the Z4M roadster for the track and the weekends.
Another fellow M hoarder. Nice fleet you got there!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #19
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
Yes and yes.

By all accounts the M2 is a much better driver's car than the Z4M. Even though the Z4M has a lot of other things going for it, having a M2 as your DD will probably make the Z4M give you less of a rush.

... and I am sure you will want to take the M2 to the track sometimes (instead of the Z4M). They are comparable but different cars, so why not?

If those are your reasons for hesitating to consider the M2... why not get a Fiat 500 as your DD and make the Z4M feel even better by comparison?
Fiat 500... Good point
      06-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My Z4M has some modification with track use in mind; full AP racing brake kit with Pagid pads, steel brake linings, high temp brake oil, Bilstein PSS-10 suspension, Vibratech engine mounts, Turner motorsport RTAB limiters, custom made extra brake cooling… It could be that a OEM M2 is faster at track, but more fun is another question (especially in standard OEM spec). The OEM M2 brakes will never be at the level of my AP racing brake, same story with the suspension.
I agree that the AP Racing kit will be far beyond the OEM M2 brakes, but I think the M2 suspension is just as good as the PSS-10. I am coming from JRZ RS1 and RS2 and my original plan was to immediately put MCS or JRZ coilovers on the M2 but when I got it the stock suspension feels so good I dropped that several priority levels. I still plan to do it, but will likely wait until the stock suspension wears out. I think the PSS-10 would be a marginal upgrade at best.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #21
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

My M2 will be my daily/track/weekend/commute car and I will sell my e36 as soon as the M2 arrives. I would keep the Z4m but would consider DCT if the roadster is also manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #22
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I did a test drive with an M-DCT M2...I loved it and the difference is really big between my Z4M and the M2... so I ordered a M2
The M2 will start his life with me as my daily car...but I know myself and sooner or later it will come on a track also. It drives great on the street and should be awesome on the Nurburgring also. It is possible that the M2 will become daily + track in the future and the Z4M only sun + fun and less track. Who knows!

Now I have to decide if My final order will be a M2 with DCT or a manual... Damn that is a difficult decision... I need to testdrive a manual also! DCT or manual...my Z4M roadster is here to stay