BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

09-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #265
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintoo View Post
We may not see a 2nd gen M2 as well.

http://www.bmwofasheville.com/blog/2...-the-works.htm

"This will replace the current N55 engine, which itself was just modified recently. A variant of the S55 engine is already available for the current BMW M3 and BMW M4. Being that the BMW M2 is smaller than its cousins, having an S55 engine is expected to translate to more torque, power, and responsiveness."

"Beyond the engine, the vehicle exterior is expected to undergo some changes as well. This includes the addition of a carbon roof and a one-piece carbon fiber propeller shaft."
mintoo-- nothing pops up on the blog (there isn't any content) when I opened the page.

Can you summarize what was said? If I understand you correctly from what you did translate, the M2 WILL go to the S55 engine after all? Will it be next year? Will that be the new base model?
And no 2nd gen M2 in 2020?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #266
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
mintoo-- nothing pops up on the blog (there isn't any content) when I opened the page.

Can you summarize what was said? If I understand you correctly from what you did translate, the M2 WILL go to the S55 engine after all? Will it be next year? Will that be the new base model?
Reply #264 (i.e., the reply immediately preceding yours) appears to include more of the blog text, and probably addresses many of your questions. -scr
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #267
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Link:

Here you go.

Thursday, 22 September, 2016 Lars Roman
It was not that long ago that the BMW brand introduced a subcompact performance car in the form of the BMW M2. The vehicle is now believed to be taking its next evolutionary step with news of a possible 2018 BMW M2 CS. With this new model comes a refreshed facelift and technology upgrades.

The biggest buzz involves rumors of a new inline six-cylinder S55 engine said to deliver 400 horsepower. This will replace the current N55 engine, which itself was just modified recently. A variant of the S55 engine is already available for the current BMW M3 and BMW M4. Being that the BMW M2 is smaller than its cousins, having an S55 engine is expected to translate to more torque, power, and responsiveness.

Beyond the engine, the vehicle exterior is expected to undergo some changes as well. This includes the addition of a carbon roof and a one-piece carbon fiber propeller shaft.

If you cannot wait until 2018 for the BMW M2 CS, you can always check out the current 2016 BMW M2. This model year, after all, has made headlines of its own after being voted "best new design" in the compact car category by German car news site Auto Motor und Sport. It blew all other contestants away, receiving 34.3 percent of total votes. Visit BMW of Asheville to check it out or look up any other new 2016 BMW car.

You can also check out its bigger cousins, like the aforementioned BMW M3, which was recently a recipient of Edmund's Best Retained Value Awards for 2016. This means the car still retains high value after five years of ownership. You can check out a new or pre-owned BMW M3 near Greenville, NC at BMW of Asheville today!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #268
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Link:

Here you go.

It was not that long ago that the BMW brand introduced a subcompact performance car in the form of the BMW M2. The vehicle is now believed to be taking its next evolutionary step with news of a possible 2018 BMW M2 CS. With this new model comes a refreshed facelift and technology upgrades.

The biggest buzz involves rumors of a new inline six-cylinder S55 engine said to deliver 400 horsepower. This will replace the current N55 engine, which itself was just modified recently. A variant of the S55 engine is already available for the current BMW M3 and BMW M4. Being that the BMW M2 is smaller than its cousins, having an S55 engine is expected to translate to more torque, power, and responsiveness.

Beyond the engine, the vehicle exterior is expected to undergo some changes as well. This includes the addition of a carbon roof and a one-piece carbon fiber propeller shaft.

If you cannot wait until 2018 for the BMW M2 CS, you can always check out the current 2016 BMW M2. This model year, after all, has made headlines of its own after being voted "best new design" in the compact car category by German car news site Auto Motor und Sport. It blew all other contestants away, receiving 34.3 percent of total votes. Visit BMW of Asheville to check it out or look up any other new 2016 BMW car.

You can also check out its bigger cousins, like the aforementioned BMW M3, which was recently a recipient of Edmund's Best Retained Value Awards for 2016. This means the car still retains high value after five years of ownership. You can check out a new or pre-owned BMW M3 near Greenville, NC at BMW of Asheville today!
That is just some sales guy at a dealership in North Carolina,basically just repeating what is being speculated about the M2 on the internet.He doesn't have any additional info,that hasn't already been posted on the forum.He is just trying to sell more cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #269
GADGS
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
That is just some sales guy at a dealership in North Carolina,basically just repeating what is being speculated about the M2 on the internet.He doesn't have any additional info,that hasn't already been posted on the forum.He is just trying to sell more cars.
One of my local dealers had a similar article in their email newsletter a few weeks back. Thought the same thing: nothing more than speculation.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #270
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md
Quote:
We may not see a 2nd gen M2 as well.

"This will replace the current N55 engine, which itself was just modified recently. A variant of the S55 engine is already available for the current BMW M3 and BMW M4. Being that the BMW M2 is smaller than its cousins, having an S55 engine is expected to translate to more torque, power, and responsiveness."

"Beyond the engine, the vehicle exterior is expected to undergo some changes as well. This includes the addition of a carbon roof and a one-piece carbon fiber propeller shaft."

Search the blog for M2
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #271
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Link:

Here you go.

Thanks-- wow.

Interesting stuff and makes me wonder a bit
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #272
DomR
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Slot

Those dealers are just trying to generate deposits for a speculation car.

Hopefully BMW releases a statement soon as many of us have orders for 2017 cars that will depreciate huge if the M2 CS is released for 2018
2001.5 - B5 S4 Stage II - Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #273
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

If you are in line for a 2017, just wait. Clearly something is coming out soon so why not have all the information before throwing your hard earned cash on the M2? It's not like any of you are getting a deal on the car to begin with, so might as well wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #274
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
If you are in line for a 2017, just wait. Clearly something is coming out soon so why not have all the information before throwing your hard earned cash on the M2? It's not like any of you are getting a deal on the car to begin with, so might as well wait it out.
I'm starting to think this might be a good idea.

My local dealer wants an answer by the end of this week, after keeping me in the dark for well over 2 months as to their allocation. They finally get the allocation for a november build, which means I won't get the car until January anyway.

Even if the CS package doesn't come out, it stands to reason that production will continue to go up over the next year or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #275
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
I'm starting to think this might be a good idea.

My local dealer wants an answer by the end of this week, after keeping me in the dark for well over 2 months as to their allocation. They finally get the allocation for a november build, which means I won't get the car until January anyway.

Even if the CS package doesn't come out, it stands to reason that production will continue to go up over the next year or so.
I'm not sure I would make that gamble. If it's a specialty model that comes out, then it will be more expensive. The M2 is a great buy. The only people that will have really gotten hosed are the ones that paid well above MSRP. The newer model, if not special version, may be more sought after a little ways down the road for resale. However, there still won't be enough of either engine option to go around.

Last edited by medphysdave; 09-28-2016 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #276
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm not sure I would make that gamble. If it's a specialty model that comes out, then it will be more expensive. The M2 is a great buy. The only people that will have really gotten hosed are the ones that paid well above MSRP. The newer model, if not special version, may be more sought after a little ways down the road for resale. However, there still won't be enough of either engine option to go around.
But by all accounts, production numbers seem to be going up and will continue to do so, no?

Or is there a school of thought that it will continue to be a limited supply car over the course of its life cycle the next few years?g
Because if its the latter, then I completely agree with you and I should probably keep my slot
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #277
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
Wait for the iphone 8 too!
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #278
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

This forum isn't the only people who want a M2. If you have a slot take it. Also just wait until this CS or whatever it is comes out and all the dealerships slap 30k over msrp on it. Even if its still a normal M2 with just a motor swap salesmen will be like "it has the m3 motor" 30k over sticker. Lose lose. Get car now.
Appreciate 4
ried791.50
Glounk115.00
GVN*2FLY102.00
      09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #279
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
But by all accounts, production numbers seem to be going up and will continue to do so, no?

Or is there a school of thought that it will continue to be a limited supply car over the course of its life cycle the next few years?g
Because if its the latter, then I completely agree with you and I should probably keep my slot
Production is keeping steady and not going up. From day 1, it was a limited production because of factory volumes and complexity with the M2 specifically being built. That hasn't changed in a year and probably won't at this point.

Edit: The reason I'm not even mad if the CS comes out and is a similar price (which I don't think it will be but who knows) is for the obvious reasons.
1) There is always going to be something better. Yes, you wouldn't buy an iphone 6s the month before the iphone 7 comes out but a lot of us are seeing the M2 a year early.
2) This M2 is what I put my money down on because I liked the overall package. The next M2 will surely be better because progress. But the point is, this M2 made me put my money down and purchase it. Just because there's a CS with a (worse sounding) "better" motor, doesn't make the current M2 any less of what everyone got their panties wet for. So I'm going to enjoy it as much as I want and if I want more power or whatever else, I'll spend a few grand and do just that.

Last edited by blackholescion; 09-29-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #280
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Production is keeping steady and not going up. From day 1, it was a limited production because of factory volumes and complexity with the M2 specifically being built. That hasn't changed in a year and probably won't at this point.

Edit: The reason I'm not even mad if the CS comes out and is a similar price (which I don't think it will be but who knows) is for the obvious reasons.
1) There is always going to be something better. Yes, you wouldn't buy an iphone 6s the month before the iphone 7 comes out but a lot of us are seeing the M2 a year early.
2) This M2 is what I put my money down on because I liked the overall package. The next M2 will surely be better because progress. But the point is, this M2 made me put my money down and purchase it. Just because there's a CS with a (worse sounding) motor, doesn't make the current M2 any less of what everyone got their panties wet for. So I'm going to enjoy it as much as I want and if I want more power or whatever else, I'll spend a few grand and do just that.
There's always going to be someone with a better, badder, faster car. You have to jump in at some point.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #281
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
There's always going to be someone with a better, badder, faster car. You have to jump in at some point.
I think people were just hoping it was a new car completely not a mid life cycle big improvement in one area (the motor).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #282
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion
Quote:

2) This M2 is what I put my money down on because I liked the overall package. The next M2 will surely be better because progress. But the point is, this M2 made me put my money down and purchase it. Just because there's a CS with a (worse sounding) motor, doesn't make the current M2 any less of what everyone got their panties wet for. So I'm going to enjoy it as much as I want and if I want more power or whatever else, I'll spend a few grand and do just that.
We *are* the people that know that the next iPhone 7 (aka LCI) is coming out.

Just as we knew the m240 was coming out that would make an M235 owner a little nuts.

Auto makers are, like phone makers always producing " the next big thing " and if they could get people to buy cars every two years like an iPhone then they would

Love your take on this. You pick your choice , you scan the market ahead and back and then go for it.

If one feels like they continually *have* to upgrade then they person has succumbed to the manufacturers.

That or you just like to spend money on cars all the time and enjoy new cars like some people enjoy new phone cases. There's no shame in that game either if you've got the wallet to support your lifestyle

Some of us do crazy things and plan for an M car that hasn't even been announced yet. I watched the E92 M3 come out and knew I wanted a smaller and more nimble car. I waited and BMW then made the 1M.

Fast forward 4 years. I'm ahead of the curve and know the M2 is coming .... I checked it out , decided that a new warranty , electric steering, better as a daily driver , power sears that sit up high , and faster, were not as good as manual steering , owning a collectors Item that's " slower ", and " harder to drive " , with manual seats, and no auto rev match... while being able to actually put 315s (or bigger!) on the rear is better for me !

I've been waiting for an M2 CS-something since before the M2 came out. I'm definitely happy with my purchase and have no need to change.

For a person considering the M2 right now I would probably pull the trigger unless... I owned a 1M. It's the hottest car on the market and it's a great middle ground between the Focus RS, the Cayman , and something like a Camaro 1LE or Ford Mustang. There are less than 1000 of the 2016 M2 and probably not more of that for 2017...

Will an LCI have this or that? Perhaps. But maybe It will also have ( or more importantly - not have ) X, Y and Z .
Appreciate 3
      09-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #283
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Edit - nvm, a bit of googling confirmed it's the safety car and not anything interesting

So I saw this linked in a different thread:

Last edited by stren; 09-29-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #284
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
We *are* the people that know that the next iPhone 7 (aka LCI) is coming out.

Just as we knew the m240 was coming out that would make an M235 owner a little nuts.

Auto makers are, like phone makers always producing " the next big thing " and if they could get people to buy cars every two years like an iPhone then they would

Love your take on this. You pick your choice , you scan the market ahead and back and then go for it.

If one feels like they continually *have* to upgrade then they person has succumbed to the manufacturers.

That or you just like to spend money on cars all the time and enjoy new cars like some people enjoy new phone cases. There's no shame in that game either if you've got the wallet to support your lifestyle

Some of us do crazy things and plan for an M car that hasn't even been announced yet. I watched the E92 M3 come out and knew I wanted a smaller and more nimble car. I waited and BMW then made the 1M.

Fast forward 4 years. I'm ahead of the curve and know the M2 is coming .... I checked it out , decided that a new warranty , electric steering, better as a daily driver , power sears that sit up high , and faster, were not as good as manual steering , owning a collectors Item that's " slower ", and " harder to drive " , with manual seats, and no auto rev match... while being able to actually put 315s (or bigger!) on the rear is better for me !

I've been waiting for an M2 CS-something since before the M2 came out. I'm definitely happy with my purchase and have no need to change.

For a person considering the M2 right now I would probably pull the trigger unless... I owned a 1M. It's the hottest car on the market and it's a great middle ground between the Focus RS, the Cayman , and something like a Camaro 1LE or Ford Mustang. There are less than 1000 of the 2016 M2 and probably not more of that for 2017...

Will an LCI have this or that? Perhaps. But maybe It will also have ( or more importantly - not have ) X, Y and Z .
Yep, totally agree. We know the LCI will come, but we've known that since day 1. Just like we know there will be an iphone 8 next year but why delay purchasing your iphone 7 just because something better will come out as technology progresses in x time?

If the m240 is going to be out in a month and it's been announced and you know that with certainty, then it doesn't make sense to get a 235. But the 235 owner from a year ago still drives the same 235 they bought at the time that they loved. 30HP is easily achieved on an m235i.

We don't know today what this new M2 is. Scott says CS, CSL, GTS; point being, special edition. People running away with "omgwtfbbq s55 in base M2" because BMW is testing a mule with existing car as they always do.

As you said, M3 Adjuster, we have no idea what this car will have or won't have.

I think people get caught up in the next big thing. There will always be the next big thing. It is up to each person to know what they can and can't do. If you want to wait with the information you have, then sure. If you want to get the M2 today, it's still going to be a great car.

Next year, BMW could say M2 gets standard adaptive suspension and M mirrors (). Does that make the current M2 any worse? Hardly. I'm sure people wouldn't be as up in arms over something like this. But just because it's a motor, and an S55 at that, the sky is falling. Want 30 extra HP? The N55T0 can easily handle it. Put in the bigger turbo you likely need and go make 500 WHP.

We don't even know that the detuned S55 is going to be a twin turbo solution yet everyone is losing their minds. It could be detuned with a turbo that's at it's max operating efficiency just like the standard M2 turbo where a flash tune won't get you much. It could be a direct copy from the M3/4 and you can get 500 with a tune. People already complain about the power in the M3/4 coming on too suddenly so what will that do to an M2?

As has been stated in this thread or others. If all we cared about was power, we'd all be driving hellcats.

Enjoy what you have and make the decision for yourself. Enthusiasts will always blow everything out of proportion on forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #285
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

I stand behind my original statement. Wait for the 2018.

Here are some reasonable assumptions based on how BMW typically works...

2018 will likely have the following:
- LCI Updates across the 2 series range, including M2 (new taillights/headlights, etc.
- New exterior color option(s)
- B58 engine with increased HP/TQ to align with rest of the BMW lineup (I suspect 385hp w/ 369 lb/ft tq) which will further differentiate it from the M240i
- Moonroof option

They will also likely introduce a M2 "CS" version with the S55, but I fully expect it to be a very limited model with a starting base price over $65K. Yes, dealers will mark these up significantly.

Just my thoughts, but having been around the BMW brand for several years now, these assumptions are likely not too far off.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #286
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
But just because it's a motor, and an S55 at that, the sky is falling. Want 30 extra HP? The N55T0 can easily handle it. Put in the bigger turbo you likely need and go make 500 WHP.
That's the problem. Some people don't want to do that. They don't want to void their warranties, reduce their resale values, and spend additional $ to make that happen. They would rather get a M2 from the factory with the power/upgrades they desire. Waiting for the 2018 is a no brainer. There WILL be a power upgrade, likely in the form of a B58 engine swap. BMW isn't going to keep just a 30hp difference between a M240i and the M2. There will be changes and it would suck to miss out on those.

Last edited by M2audioman; 09-29-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0