BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fabspeed sport cat + Dinan res delete + Dinan muffler

12-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Fabspeed sport cat + Dinan res delete + Dinan muffler

Hey, I've tried looking for clips of this setup and haven't found any exact matches.

There are plenty of great clips of cars with the fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete, but I haven't been able to find the full combo with the Dinan muffler.

The closest I've seen was with a catless DP, but I'm not going that far yet.

If anyone has experience running the full setup I would appreciate any videos/sound clips and thoughts on how livable it was. I have a valve controller so I would be able to do the cold start with the valves closed, but this is my daily and I don't want insane drone or it to always be super loud if I'm just cruising in comfort with the valves closed.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Hey, I've tried looking for clips of this setup and haven't found any exact matches.

There are plenty of great clips of cars with the fabspeed sport cat and Dinan resonator delete, but I haven't been able to find the full combo with the Dinan muffler.

The closest I've seen was with a catless DP, but I'm not going that far yet.

If anyone has experience running the full setup I would appreciate any videos/sound clips and thoughts on how livable it was. I have a valve controller so I would be able to do the cold start with the valves closed, but this is my daily and I don't want insane drone or it to always be super loud if I'm just cruising in comfort with the valves closed.

Thanks.
I ran the exact setup when I had my car. Depending on your age, the setup can either be love or hate.

It's extremely loud especially on cold start (unless you code it out). By extremely loud I mean vibrating walls loud, embarrassing your significant other in public loud, and attracting the wrong kind of attention loud. It has a nice throaty sounds during pulls but the setup I preferred was the sport cat and stock exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
I ran the exact setup when I had my car. Depending on your age, the setup can either be love or hate.

It's extremely loud especially on cold start (unless you code it out). By extremely loud I mean vibrating walls loud, embarrassing your significant other in public loud, and attracting the wrong kind of attention loud. It has a nice throaty sounds during pulls but the setup I preferred was the sport cat and stock exhaust.
from what you're describing, it sounds like hate for all ages

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
toastie213.50
      12-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
It's extremely loud especially on cold start (unless you code it out).
That cold-start is just trash, even with stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Hawkdriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [10.00]
I have this setup. Coded out the cold start so I wouldn't get assaulted by neighbors. It's mostly just a track car for me and it sounds plain angry, the downpipe made all the difference, the Dinan exhaust keeps things deep sounding. When I do take it on the street I enjoy, even at my advanced and withered age, getting dirty looks from the Karens of my town!!!
Appreciate 4
      12-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I'm not going to tune the car yet, but I have pretty much mastered the very light throttle for 30 seconds to cancel the cold start thing.

Did you have a valve controller? I have been starting the car up with the valves forced closed and it's somewhat reasonable with the res delete and sport cat set up.

But, from what you're saying, it sounds like Dinan is just too loud period. It's a shame because I have fully deleted the chrome on the car except for the exhaust pipes. I might just have to look into putting larger, black tips on the stock muffler section, which I find a little distasteful.

But thank you very much for the input! I appreciate the insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to tune the car yet, but I have pretty much mastered the very light throttle for 30 seconds to cancel the cold start thing.

Did you have a valve controller? I have been starting the car up with the valves forced closed and it's somewhat reasonable with the res delete and sport cat set up.

But, from what you're saying, it sounds like Dinan is just too loud period. It's a shame because I have fully deleted the chrome on the car except for the exhaust pipes. I might just have to look into putting larger, black tips on the stock muffler section, which I find a little distasteful.

But thank you very much for the input! I appreciate the insight.
Yes the Dinan exhaust retains the valve controller, its a direct PnP.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes the Dinan exhaust retains the valve controller, its a direct PnP.
Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I know the Dinan retains the stock valve system but I meant an exhaust valve controller. I have the Macht Schnell, that lets me override the stock logic by either forcing the valve open, closed, or using the stock profile.

Since the stock profile includes opening the valve on coldstart (pretty sure about that), I would imagine that the Dinan muffler would be insane because it's pretty much a straight pipe to the down pipe without the valve closed. I'm just trying to see if I can use the combo of the valve being closed and the throttle pedal trick to avoid shaking the house on cold start if I add the muffler section.
Appreciate 1
wassy497.50
      12-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I know the Dinan retains the stock valve system but I meant an exhaust valve controller. I have the Macht Schnell, that lets me override the stock logic by either forcing the valve open, closed, or using the stock profile.

Since the stock profile includes opening the valve on coldstart (pretty sure about that), I would imagine that the Dinan muffler would be insane because it's pretty much a straight pipe to the down pipe without the valve closed. I'm just trying to see if I can use the combo of the valve being closed and the throttle pedal trick to avoid shaking the house on cold start if I add the muffler section.
Start the car in comfort mode if you want the valves closed. It is like the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0