BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vargas turbo

12-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #23
Jiaim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 PY Z4 3.0SI

Another option is the Turbosystems ball bearing stage 2.

https://www.turbosystems.info/produc...e-turbocharger
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #24
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 2018 M2

Currently I am not running braided lines but from numerous other forum threads I read through it was highly recommended. I am currently using a 50/50 blend in the tank. I am just using the existing kit and it has been extremely reliable. i only need to drop off the pump to snow performance once every 2 years for cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #25
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I have 2 stations under a mile from my house that sell e85. So that's an option. My biggest concern is tracking the car on e85. I usually drive the car to the track. M2s get bad fuel economy as is. So I'd need to shlep 20+ gallons of fuel to one track day. I know the benefits of e85. It just seems like a huge hassle. Now if I buy a car trailer that's a different story lol. I'm wondering if with the PS2, dorch stage 2, a better lpfp, and water meth if I'd be able to hit 500 whp.
Just run E85 on the street and Race Gas at the track and skip worrying about WMI.

You'll have to schlep gallons of 50/50 meth anyways (less so) for an open track day, and you'll have to closely monitor your level if you're going to run a Stg 2+ map and not have a built in fail safe. Otherwise, you'd have to dial back the power and that misses the point of what you're trying to accomplish.

You'll also need to upgrade the cooling components on your car and run MaxCool settings in your tune if you're going to push that much power on track. Even with those upgrades I don't think you'll be able to keep the car cool with 500whp without a custom cooling setup. That's a topic for a different thread.
I'll review your max cooling thread again. I'm not looking to hammer more then 5 hard laps at a time. So if more power means I need to do a cool down lap every couple laps that's fine. If I need too I'll also crank the heater to help the coolant as well.

Thoughts?

As far as meth I know it won't help coolant and oil temps. I'm just looking to help IAT temps a bit. But definitely will not be tuned in. So I'm thinking I'll just use it as a supplement on top.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #26
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
I'll review your max cooling thread again. I'm not looking to hammer more then 5 hard laps at a time. So if more power means I need to do a cool down lap every couple laps that's fine. If I need too I'll also crank the heater to help the coolant as well.

Thoughts?

As far as meth I know it won't help coolant and oil temps. I'm just looking to help IAT temps a bit. But definitely will not be tuned in. So I'm thinking I'll just use it as a supplement on top.
Sure, but if you're going to push 500whp, you'll need better gas anyways (E85 or Race Gas) to utilize the OTS Stg 2+ maps or a custom tune. Pump gas alone won't get you to 500whp.

So, I don't see much benefit to adding WMI if you're not going to tune for it, especially if you're adding the Evo3. Your IATs will be lower, but so will your power b/c you'll be on a lower boost map for the pump gas.

Some guys are running WMI and pump gas on the Stg 2+ maps without “tuning” for the meth, but I think that’s nuts to do for the track.

The Evo3 will keep your IATs ~25F above ambient when pushing it hard and E85 & Race Gas will keep timing from getting pulled >100F IAT, so you really don't need the WMI unless you throw it in the mix on top of the Stg 2+/custom tune & E85 or Race Gas.

The heater trick doesn't have enough impact in our cars to extend lapping that much further. If you're only going to push for 5 hot laps and back off, you may be able to get away with 500whp on track, but that depends on how "hot" your laps really are. My bet is you'll hit 242F coolant in about 3-laps with that much power and no real cooling mods.

Welcome to life with a boosted N55 on track.

Last edited by ZM2; 12-08-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Sure, but if you're going to push 500whp, you'll need better gas anyways (E85 or Race Gas) to utilize the OTS Stg 2+ maps or a custom tune. Pump gas alone won't get you to 500whp.

So, I don't see much benefit to adding WMI if you're not going to tune for it, especially if you're adding the Evo3. Your IATs will be lower, but so will your power b/c you'll be on a lower boost map for the pump gas.

Some guys are running WMI and pump gas on the Stg 2+ maps without “tuning” for the meth, but I think that’s nuts to do for the track.

The Evo3 will keep your IATs ~25F above ambient when pushing it hard and E85 & Race Gas will keep timing from getting pulled >100F IAT, so you really don't need the WMI unless you throw it in the mix on top of the Stg 2+/custom tune & E85 or Race Gas.

The heater trick doesn't have enough impact in our cars to extend lapping that much further. If you're only going to push for 5 hot laps and back off, you may be able to get away with 500whp on track, but that depends on how "hot" your laps really are. My bet is you'll hit 242F coolant in about 3-laps with that much power and no real cooling mods.

I have a crazy idea to solve coolant temps but you likely will loose out on the iat side of things so you will need to go to a larger turbo to get better efficiency and thus a colder iat.

Anyways this idea involves getting an arm intercooler which is a flat style intercooler and doesn't stop the radiator from being extended all the way down the front of the car. This allows us to run the m2C radiator in the front, so long as the intercooler inlet and outlet doesn't obstruct anything.
      12-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I have a crazy idea to solve coolant temps but you likely will loose out on the iat side of things so you will need to go to a larger turbo to get better efficiency and thus a colder iat.

Anyways this idea involves getting an arm intercooler which is a flat style intercooler and doesn't stop the radiator from being extended all the way down the front of the car. This allows us to run the m2C radiator in the front, so long as the intercooler inlet and outlet doesn't obstruct anything.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Who wants to be the beta tester?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #29
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

Some guys are running WMI and pump gas on the Stg 2+ maps without "tuning" for the meth, but I think that's nuts to do for the track.

Thanks for the input Zack 🤙🏻

I recently scored the dorch pump and LPFP stuff from nothing man. So once that's installed I will be running full e85. Or at least a 50/50 blend. Or possibly race gas lol we'll see. But with 2 e85 stations very close to my house it won't be hard. I'll probably buy some extra fuel cans and mix 50/50 straight into my tank at home.

I completely understand on the cooling. With what I plan to do on track, for the near future I don't see myself running lap after lap crazy hard. It's all for fun and nobody's paying me lol.

I've put in my lap pounding when I race professional amateur motocross. With age comes the cage.

My 500whp goal is honestly out of sheer ego. I just want a rocketship on the street that will smoke most anything that wants to play.

As far as meth. Like I've said, I don't plan on tuning the car to be reliant on it. So it'll just be sprayed on top for any additional cooling it may provide. But we'll see as I collect data and read the car.
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50
      12-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #30
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Either way. Pump gas is out the window. I realize CA has garbage fuel. So that's not even an idea in my mind anymore.

As it is, I put VP octane booster in every tank.
Appreciate 0