BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Time for some upgrades

11-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
nilaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Time for some upgrades

Hi all,

Owner of an M2 MG with some performance goodies for 2 months. Car is used as daily driving for short distance.

I am thinking to take some mods to personalise the car although is already unique with the M Performance exhaust, carbon fiber diffuser, M Performance winglets, full suntek PPF, M Performance lines etc.

As the car is under BMW warranty I would like to take mods that it can be reversed in case an issue happens.

I am thinking as first mod to upgrade the wheels either with FF04 in 20" in Eureka or Sarsparilla.
I have some concerns about the wheel color due to M Performance lines.

Any advice is more than welcome.

I plan to keep my OEM wheels to use for track days as an M2 is useless only for daily driving car.

As a second mod I am thinking for the Jabspeed catted DP in order to use with M Performance exhaust and a free flow air filter in OEM air box.
As the car is under warranty I do not plan to perform ECU upgrade.

Finally I consider to lower the car with springs only but I have serious concerns as it is used as DD.

Any advice or recommendations is more than welcome.

Cheers,
Nick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

All of your mods will be warranty friendly except the downpipe, if your going to pass on an ECU tune I would also forgo the downpipe because your not going to get much of anything out of it except the risk of dealing with a potential warranty issue. There are a few guys here who have had problems triggered by DPs and had to scramble as a result. On lowering the car, I would think long and hard on that one and if you can see if you can get a ride in a car lowered by springs alone. I currently hit my curb going into my driveway if I come in at the wrong angle at a stock height so that and ride quality would be my concerns.

Let us know what you decide to do and best of luck
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Egress
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Nick!

Seems we think pretty much the same things when it comes to modding the M2!

Wheels: I bought HRE FF15 in 20” for my MG M2 in IPA and love them. I posted pictures of them in the wheels and tires section in the HRE thread on this Forum.
As you asked about the stripes and your colour choices...
Well I think Sarsaparilla and Eureka both would not correspond very well with M colours i’m afraid. Maybe you buy the colour of your choice and decide afterwards if it is time to get rid of the stripes...

I also thought about lowering the car with either the m performance coilovers or the KW thread springs. I asked people about the springs and they told me they switched to the whole coilovers because of the poor ride quality. Others however seem to be fine with them. I forgot the idea because I have 20” wheels and with 20@ and these springs i am almost sure the ride quality will be significant lower than now and i don’t want the car’s original ride quality to be lost.
Coilovers I dropped because of the fact that I am one of the few who thinks that the car needs only a few mm dropping. I am however totally fine if it stays on this height. Also I discovered it can be a technical problem if you get the m performance coilovers and lower the car only about 5-10mm because then some parts would not be covered from the dust saving part of the damper, i don’t know how to explain it in English sorry.

I have the m performance exhaust and have already bought the Akrapovic 300cell DP and will install it in Spring. I heard a car with that combination and must say that it sounds awesome how it cracks and pops! In fact sounds so addictive that i will be fine if it damages the Turbo over time but I don’t think that it will happen. What else could go wrong?

Edit: where do you live?

Last edited by Egress; 11-18-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilaz View Post
Hi all,

Owner of an M2 MG with some performance goodies for 2 months. Car is used as daily driving for short distance.

I am thinking to take some mods to personalise the car although is already unique with the M Performance exhaust, carbon fiber diffuser, M Performance winglets, full suntek PPF, M Performance lines etc.

As the car is under BMW warranty I would like to take mods that it can be reversed in case an issue happens.

I am thinking as first mod to upgrade the wheels either with FF04 in 20" in Eureka or Sarsparilla.
I have some concerns about the wheel color due to M Performance lines.

Any advice is more than welcome.

I plan to keep my OEM wheels to use for track days as an M2 is useless only for daily driving car.

As a second mod I am thinking for the Jabspeed catted DP in order to use with M Performance exhaust and a free flow air filter in OEM air box.
As the car is under warranty I do not plan to perform ECU upgrade.

Finally I consider to lower the car with springs only but I have serious concerns as it is used as DD.

Any advice or recommendations is more than welcome.

Cheers,
Nick.
Not sure I understand why you think an M2 is useless as a DD... especially since you use it as such.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      11-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
nilaz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback so far.

I did not know that a catted DP can cause problems that can void BMW warranty. Which are actually these problems?
If there is any link I would appreciate to share with me in order to understand.

The M Performance color lines is quite difficult to be removed as the car is fully wrapped with Suntek PPF.
In order to remove the lines I have to seriously adapt PPF which means extra cost.

Last but not least I believe an M2 driving only 15 Kms per day is not used at all for what it deserves.
Before the M2 I was owner of a BMW 430I M Performance and I have to say that M2 is awesome car.
I believe cars like M series should spend some time monthly on truck otherwise someone can purchase a normal sports daily car.

I realise that tunning in M cars is a big challenge as there is highly possibility the result to be worst than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
There are a few guys here who have had problems triggered by DPs and had to scramble as a result.
who had what problems with a DP and how did they scramble?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

A DP is a flag for a dealer to look further. Most that run a DP will run other mods. Just say'n. Not sure a warranty can be voided due to a DP but may trigger them to look around. Even if you brought it in for just a oil change and they do a std scope as they always do and you have a dash light or error code they will see it.

If you run a piggy back like a JB4 and you post high boost or mix fuel and register high fuel trims and have a mechanical issue the warranty will be void cuz they ill see it in the DME data.

Remember you can get flagged all day long but you have to have a major problem for them to go to BMWNA with your DME data other than that you should be fine.......

But if you play...be prepared tp pay
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilaz View Post
Hello,
Last but not least I believe an M2 driving only 15 Kms per day is not used at all for what it deserves.
Before the M2 I was owner of a BMW 430I M Performance and I have to say that M2 is awesome car.
I believe cars like M series should spend some time monthly on truck otherwise someone can purchase a normal sports daily car.
I'll be using mine as a DD. That's a 50-mile round-trip on all workdays + more miles on off days.

I really have no intention of tracking the car on a regular basis, as I don't see this as necessary justification for owning one.
To me the M2 qualifies as a normal sports daily car. YMMV
Appreciate 0