c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by look585 View Post
I traded my C7 Grand Sport for the M2. My best friend says how can you downgrade? I think of it as a upgrade.

It's still an American POS.

I like the M2 so much more.
Maybe you should move to Germany too? I don’t understand these type of blanket comments. I can go into any section of the forum here and read all kinds of comments about problems on our BMWs. I’ve owned almost 30 vehicles and the two Volvo’s I owned were the worst. I had a highly modified Mustang that I beat the crap out of and it took everything and never had a single issue. I owned a number of seemingly crappy Chrysler products, and while fit and finish was sucky were all still reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #134
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Also as far as the top on the C7 squeaking or rattling is easily remedied by using the dielectric grease to keep the seals lubricated. Dust does get in the rubber and they do tend to dry with all the airflow. I had to do the same thing to my wife’s VW Eos.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #135
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Maybe you should move to Germany too? I don’t understand these type of blanket comments. I can go into any section of the forum here and read all kinds of comments about problems on our BMWs. I’ve owned almost 30 vehicles and the two Volvo’s I owned were the worst. I had a highly modified Mustang that I beat the crap out of and it took everything and never had a single issue. I owned a number of seemingly crappy Chrysler products, and while fit and finish was sucky were all still reliable.

In my opinion, the C7 GS is in every way a better performance car than the M2 and I say this as someone who has a M2 on order. There are some advantages for the M2 such as the back seats, idrive and other stuff.
But as far as performance, even the regular C7 is superior in power, handling and most other performance aspects so I wouldn't call it a "POS". Maybe he should elaborate on why he dislikes it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #136
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
^M2 is a lot smaller and more nimble than the C7. That's an advantage in performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #137
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also as far as the top on the C7 squeaking or rattling is easily remedied by using the dielectric grease to keep the seals lubricated. Dust does get in the rubber and they do tend to dry with all the airflow. I had to do the same thing to my wife’s VW Eos.
Is the squeaking due to the chassis being aluminum and the composite panels in order to save weight which makes the car less rigid?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #138
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
^M2 is a lot smaller and more nimble than the C7. That's an advantage in performance.

My response was not to say the M2 is no good, not at all. I was responding to MGM about another guy's comment that the C7 is a "POS".

One of the strengths of the M2 is how balance the car drives and that is one of the reasons I ordered one. But the C7 is only larger by less than 1 inch in both length and width while having a lower center of gravity. The base C7 actually weighs less than the M2 but the Z51 or GS will be about the same. Both the M2 and C7 has a phenomenal chassis.

The point is both are great cars and have their own advantages and are different in many ways. You really can only make a decision based on what you can and can't live with or without. Preference for either shouldn't make the other a bad car. That's all.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4545.50
No Boost4019.00
      11-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #139
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Actually the M2 and C7 are almost exactly the same size. The C7 just looks longer due to being lower than the M2.

M2=176″ L x 73″ W x 56″ H
C7=177″ L x 74″ W x 49″ H

I think the C7 also weighs about 3300lbs, so about 70lbs less than my 135is but with 110 more HP and 60 more torque.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      11-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #140
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Is the squeaking due to the chassis being aluminum and the composite panels in order to save weight which makes the car less rigid?
No it’s actully the rubber gaskets in the roof getting dried out and less pliable. The grease resolves the noise issue. There is road vibration, bumps etc that cause jolts. Never heard the roof squeak in a turn.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #141
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
I didn't ask for your like story on ownership or do I care.
The Corvette C7 like most american cars is a POS.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #142
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't ask for your like story on ownership or do I care.
The Corvette C7 like most american cars is a POS.
Then why post here? Go put your darkness elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
mWHO118.50
      11-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #143
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
My response was not to say the M2 is no good, not at all. I was responding to MGM about another guy's comment that the C7 is a "POS".

One of the strengths of the M2 is how balance the car drives and that is one of the reasons I ordered one. But the C7 is only larger by less than 1 inch in both length and width while having a lower center of gravity. The base C7 actually weighs less than the M2 but the Z51 or GS will be about the same. Both the M2 and C7 has a phenomenal chassis.

The point is both are great cars and have their own advantages and are different in many ways. You really can only make a decision based on what you can and can't live with or without. Preference for either shouldn't make the other a bad car. That's all.
I agree. I really love my 135is, especially with the tune and can imagine how much better the M2 is.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #144
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Then why post here? Go put your darkness elsewhere.
Don't worry about me.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #145
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't worry about me.
I’m not....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #146
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Actually the M2 and C7 are almost exactly the same size. The C7 just looks longer due to being lower than the M2.

I think the C7 also weighs about 3300lbs, so about 70lbs less than my 135is but with 110 more HP and 60 more torque.
the c7 maybe similar in dimensions but it feels like a big car, the m2 feels nice and compact, inches matter
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      11-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #147
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:

Had me fooled. The C7 looks to be the size of an M4/Mustang. It has to be the lower roofline.

The C7 has an awesome profile. It's the front and rear which I don't care for.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #148
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It does have a long nose and takes a little getting used to. Amazing it has 50/50 weight distribution somehow.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #149
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Was just in Vegas and rented a C7 for 24 hours and drove it in a spirited fashion through the Valley of Fire State Park and back, then went on the 15 & 95 for a few high speed straights. The car is no doubt faster in the straights and turns than the M2 and also feels pretty good doing it.

Back in the 3rd quarter of 2015 when I started my quest for a new car, there were 5 cars on the list and the C7 was one of them. I went on all the different car forums and started to do my research. However it didn't take too long to cross the C7 off the list due to information on the Corvette forums and user reviews. While the looks and stat numbers are great, so were some of the issues & problems.

I'm very happy that I settled on the M2, while the C7 is the faster car, IMO the M2 is definitely not 2nd in the fun & feel category. One last note, I've seen on the forums that Vegas has no fun roads to drive. Do the Valley of Fire, enter from the Henderson side, pay the $20 to get in and enjoy the 50 miles of empty smooth turns. You then can exit through the other entrance or return the way you came, I chose the latter

Last edited by Aloha Joe; 11-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Could not locate earlier fact stated, thus removed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #150
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Was just in Vegas and rented a C7 for 24 hours and drove it in a spirited fashion through the Valley of Fire State Park and back, then went on the 15 & 95 for a few high speed straights. The car is no doubt faster in the straights and turns than the M2 and also feels pretty good doing it.

Back in the 3rd quarter of 2015 when I started my quest for a new car, there were 5 cars on the list and the C7 was one of them. I went on all the different car forums and started to do my research. However it didn't take too long to cross the C7 off the list due to the Corvette forums. While the looks and stat numbers are great, so was the issues/problems pages on the Vette forums. In one short year of the C7 existence, one of the forums had over 200 pages of issues. Not 200 posts, over 200 pages!

I'm very happy that I settled on the M2, while the C7 is the faster car, IMO the M2 is definitely not 2nd in the fun & feel category. One last note, I've seen on the forums that Vegas has no fun roads to drive. Do the Valley of Fire, enter from the Henderson side, pay the $20 to get in and enjoy the 50 miles of empty smooth turns. You then can exit through the other entrance or return the way you came, I chose the latter
I take all forum posts with a grain of salt... this one included.
I prefer to do my own research, exclusive of online commentary.
I also had the C7 on my short list. My only complaint with it was the visibility. As a DD it wouldn't work for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #151
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I take all forum posts with a grain of salt... this one included.
I prefer to do my own research, exclusive of online commentary.
I also had the C7 on my short list. My only complaint with it was the visibility. As a DD it wouldn't work for me.
Agreed, I went online to find the source of my info but could no longer find it. I have edited my original post.
Appreciate 1
gmd2003351.50
      11-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #152
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think if you’re going by numbers of posts, it will be misleading since there are way more C7s than M2s lol. However, I think most complaints are related to the A8 transmission which seems to finally be fixed. The A6 and M7 didn’t really have problems AFAIK.

I would also have been driving an M2 if I could have gotten one I wanted. I may trade the 135is for an M2 at some point, but fear it may not be that much of an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #153
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I have no idea what a C7 is like to drive and I don’t know much about American cars as there are hardly any over here... but I have to say it looks damned sexy !
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #154
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I have no idea what a C7 is like to drive and I don’t know much about American cars as there are hardly any over here... but I have to say it looks damned sexy !
Corinne, I have owned a base Corvette Stingray for nearly four years and it is simply an amazing machine to drive. I had no desire for Corvette or any American car prior to the C7.

Engine: its fast rev'ing 6.2L N/A engine produces linear, tire-screeching power through out the entire rpm range. Its simultaneous roar AND scream, together with the acceleration, induces exhilaration akin to that of a 100-foot (33-meter) roller coaster drop. It's thirsty in city driving but sips like an Englishman on the highway to the tune of 32mpg. Collectively it get 1-2mpg less than the M2 in mixed driving.

Suspension: ride with the base suspension (non-magnetic suspension) is more compliant (less stiff) and comfortable than the M2. Yet it exhibits nearly zero body roll on turns - it just stays flat and easily controllable the whole way through - which is very confidence-inspiring. Traction threshold on turn is just incredible and beyond approachable on public road. This can be a good or bad (less drama) thing depending on your perspective.

Transmission: the gear box is a bit vague and spongy - like most BMW manuals - but precise nonetheless and has a more reassuring engagement "click" than BMW. Fortunately there's an aftermarket shift kit that takes it to Porsche gear box level. Then there's this dreaded 1-to-4 gear thing (it forces you to shift from 1st to 4th by locking out 2nd and 3rd when you drive at low speed at light throttle.) It is bothersome to me enough that I would never buy the car if it couldn't be easily defeated (and it could) via aftermarket.

Interior: The quality of interior material is fantastic (esp. if you opt for the full leather dash), besting the M3/M4 level IMO. I like the driver focused, cockpit-like styling as well. The customizable/selectable digital gauge is great - I like it personally. The entertainment/nav/phone integration is where it falls well short in execution.

I really enjoyed the C7 that I traded-in toward the M2. If I had owned an M2 for a few years and then C7 came out later, I would've just as easily do the opposite. Who knows, maybe the upcoming mid-engine C8 will be my next car in a few years.

PS.
I was amazed how well the C7 was recognized and received by everyone from 5-yo girls to 90-yo men, across all races etc. Literally I had est. 5-yo girls screaming out "Corvette Stingray" as I drove past; I had old Asian men that normally don't give crap about cars came up to me to talk about it. There's was a surge of young Corvette owners of different races on the forum, a vast departure from the gold-chain-wearing-bald-dude stereotype. It's one of those few cars that transcends demographic.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00