07-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #67
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is
I promised a photo:

I think I will eventually swap the lower grille for a Z06 style one and not sure on the chrome wheels. I am not really a chrome fan and was really looking for black or machined wheels, but they don’t look too bad and kind of go with the car.
Looks great, man. Congrats. I'm one of those that cross-shopped a C7 but needed the back seats and was afraid the Vette was a bit too flashy to pull in daily at work. I do really enjoy my M2 though...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #68
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
We drove up through NW Va and into WV yesterday and turned around just ahead of the thunderstorms. What a fun ride. Too hot to remove the top though.

I initially thought removing the top was a two person job, but very pleased that I can do it all on my own. The key is opening both doors and the hatch, and you just snap the top in the rear. It’s really like having a coupe and convertible.

I notice a little buffeting at highway speeds, but putting the windows up about 3/4 mitigates it and makes it reasonable at 75 mph or so. I may need some earplugs though. I use them for when I ride my motorcycle and didn’t consider the wind noise is very similar with the top down going fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #69
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
Looks great, man. Congrats. I'm one of those that cross-shopped a C7 but needed the back seats and was afraid the Vette was a bit too flashy to pull in daily at work. I do really enjoy my M2 though...
M2 is obviously incredible. If I got the M2, I would have sold my 135is. I like that I’m keeping the 135is and with the tune and better tires, it’s an awesome daily driver. That lets me reserve the corvette for times when I don’t need a backseat or simply road trips.

I will keep an eye out for CPO M2s and possibly trade up when the numbers look right for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Personally I would change the wheels, though I suppose if you were going to keep chrome, at least the paint matches.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #71
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Personally I would change the wheels, though I suppose if you were going to keep chrome, at least the paint matches.
I would have preferred machined wheels as I think that would match better than chrome or black. I will probably look for a take off set.

I will probably swap out the badges for the carbon flash style and replace the front grille for the Z06 one. I may get a front splitter and rear spoiler, but will go with the clean look for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #72
HalfMoon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z06/Z07 - 2017 SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I would have preferred machined wheels as I think that would match better than chrome or black. I will probably look for a take off set.

I will probably swap out the badges for the carbon flash style and replace the front grille for the Z06 one. I may get a front splitter and rear spoiler, but will go with the clean look for now.
This is all personal preference, but I like the cleaner debadged look. I would definitely do the Z06 grille and get rid of the "braces" chrome strip and would get the Z51 spoiler for your car to complete the rear end.

On my Z51 I pulled the "fish" off the side and the CORVETTE letters from the rear and just left the front and rear flags (they are recessed into the bumpers, so they have to stay). On my Z06 I have no "fish", so I just pulled the CORVETTE letters.

From my Z51:

I also debadged my 1LE, removing the side Camaro badges, front and rear SS badges and rear Bowtie:

Enjoy the car man, they are a lot of fun. I drove my Z06 every day for the last two weeks. Now I need to go get the new Sport Cup 2 tires mounted as my old ones are shot with only 6,000 miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #73
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon View Post
This is all personal preference, but I like the cleaner debadged look. I would definitely do the Z06 grille and get rid of the "braces" chrome strip and would get the Z51 spoiler for your car to complete the rear end.

On my Z51 I pulled the "fish" off the side and the CORVETTE letters from the rear and just left the front and rear flags (they are recessed into the bumpers, so they have to stay). On my Z06 I have no "fish", so I just pulled the CORVETTE letters.

From my Z51:

I also debadged my 1LE, removing the side Camaro badges, front and rear SS badges and rear Bowtie:

Enjoy the car man, they are a lot of fun. I drove my Z06 every day for the last two weeks. Now I need to go get the new Sport Cup 2 tires mounted as my old ones are shot with only 6,000 miles on them.
Nice, so you have a C7 w/Z51 package AND a SS 1LE?

Were you cross shopping those cars with the M2? If so, what made you decide to go with the Chevys?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #74
HalfMoon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Nice, so you have a C7 w/Z51 package AND a SS 1LE?

Were you cross shopping those cars with the M2? If so, what made you decide to go with the Chevys?
No,

I sold the Z51 and ordered a 2016 Z06/Z07. Then, two weeks after my Z06 was delivered I leased an M235i.

I was going to dump the M235i and get an M2, but really wanted something different so I got the 1LE instead. I love V8s and the LS/LT motors are monsters that you can build on, so it was really no contest in my eyes when you consider how well the 1LE handles.

Plus, I like to buyAmerican as much as I can, even if mostly in name...

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #75
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I realize Corvette is a sports car and Camaro is more of a daily driver, but there's enough overlap between them that I would keep just one and get something else for a change of pace. Maybe an older M3 or 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #76
HalfMoon
United_States
Rep

My commute is 77 miles each way, I enjoy the peace of mind of a new car that won't leave me stranded. I buy new cars every 12-18 months, so who knows what's next.

The Z06 vs the 1LE overlap? Pretty much just that they both are by GM, have manual transmissions, similar radio screens, magnetic suspension and HUD. That's about where the comparisons stop when you're driving them.

What color is your 1LE, and is it an SS?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #77
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

From my Z51:

That looks very nice. Do you have any full side shots to see how it looks overall?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #78
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I realize Corvette is a sports car and Camaro is more of a daily driver, but there's enough overlap between them that I would keep just one and get something else for a change of pace. Maybe an older M3 or 911.
I am driving the car to work sometimes. It’s very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #79
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
No,

I sold the Z51 and ordered a 2016 Z06/Z07. Then, two weeks after my Z06 was delivered I leased an M235i.

I was going to dump the M235i and get an M2, but really wanted something different so I got the 1LE instead. I love V8s and the LS/LT motors are monsters that you can build on, so it was really no contest in my eyes when you consider how well the 1LE handles.

Plus, I like to buyAmerican as much as I can, even if mostly in name...

Does your wife drive one of them or do you drive both?
I just don't see why anyone would buy 2 of the same car basically.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #80
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We drove up through NW Va and into WV yesterday and turned around just ahead of the thunderstorms. What a fun ride. Too hot to remove the top though.

I initially thought removing the top was a two person job, but very pleased that I can do it all on my own. The key is opening both doors and the hatch, and you just snap the top in the rear. It’s really like having a coupe and convertible.

I notice a little buffeting at highway speeds, but putting the windows up about 3/4 mitigates it and makes it reasonable at 75 mph or so. I may need some earplugs though. I use them for when I ride my motorcycle and didn’t consider the wind noise is very similar with the top down going fast.

If you didn't have the 135i already, which one would you choose between the Stingray and M2? It's a hard decision and with the M2 prices not going down, the Stingray is very tempting.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #81
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
If you didn't have the 135i already, which one would you choose between the Stingray and M2? It's a hard decision and with the M2 prices not going down, the Stingray is very tempting.
To try to be brief, I feel like I have a little bit of the M2 in the 135is AND get to drive a Corvette. I have absolutely no regrets. As Esteban would point out, I never drove an M2 so can’t make a fully qualified opinion. However, I did drive cars all around it in the BMW stable (135i, 228i, M235i, M4) and feel like I have a sense of what it would be like.

So longer story, My original plan was to replace my 135is with an M2....essentially the same colors and transmission. So when it didn’t seem likely, I went back to looking at the same cars I looked at before. I was thinking Cayman, and went back and forth for a couple months. I have always wanted an M car and a Corvette, so when I saw a Corvette I really liked and the dealer was very aggressive with discounts, it made me take it more seriously.

I’m very happy with the route I took.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #82
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To try to be brief, I feel like I have a little bit of the M2 in the 135is AND get to drive a Corvette. I have absolutely no regrets. As Esteban would point out, I never drove an M2 so can’t make a fully qualified opinion. However, I did drive cars all around it in the BMW stable (135i, 228i, M235i, M4) and feel like I have a sense of what it would be like.

So longer story, My original plan was to replace my 135is with an M2....essentially the same colors and transmission. So when it didn’t seem likely, I went back to looking at the same cars I looked at before. I was thinking Cayman, and went back and forth for a couple months. I have always wanted an M car and a Corvette, so when I saw a Corvette I really liked and the dealer was very aggressive with discounts, it made me take it more seriously.

I’m very happy with the route I took.

I think you made the right choice. If you already have a "beater", not sure if you would call a 135i that , a car that has 4 seats and all that. Then the Corvette is a great choice. Performance wise, it just out performs, maybe even the M4. Now if you only planned to have 1 car, maybe the M2 would be the better choice. What percent off MSRP were you able to get on the Stingray if you don't mind sharing? (or PM me?)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #83
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't mind sharing, it's not classified information or anything lol. I was able to get ~$10,300 off. Sticker was about $65900. So about 15.6% off. Now that's not what they originally offered me, so I had to pit them against another dealer for a somewhat similar car that I was less interested in that was supposedly selling for less. They eventually succumbed to my good looks (not) and charm (maybe).

GM had crappy financing, so I went with USAA and got 1.99% for 72 months. I never take that long to pay off but it is nice to have a lower payment like over the Holidays, if something bad happens to the house that has to get repaired or if my bonus isn't what I expect it to be etc.

And you're right, I would not buy a two seater as my only car (maybe if I were single). I also have a cargo van and two motorcycles. So I think I'm covered transportation-wise lol. I may trade my 135is in for an X4 M40i (same motor as M2) for a little more room, once I've had my fun with the 135is. My brother keeps wanting me to buy an S3 because he loves his so much, but it's honestly not much bigger than the 135is. For disclosure, I am an empty nester, so it's mostly just me in my car and sometimes my wife or daughter.

Last edited by c1pher; 08-11-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #84
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't mind sharing, it's not classified information or anything lol. I was able to get ~$10,300 off. Sticker was about $65900. So about 15.6% off. Now that's not what they originally offered me, so I had to pit them against another dealer for a somewhat similar car that I was less interested in that was supposedly selling for less. They eventually succumbed to my good looks (not) and charm (maybe).

GM had crappy financing, so I went with USAA and got 1.99% for 72 months. I never take that long to pay off but it is nice to have a lower payment like over the Holidays, if something bad happens to the house that has to get repaired or if my bonus isn't what I expect it to be etc.

And you're right, I would not buy a two seater as my only car (maybe if I were single). I also have a cargo van and two motorcycles. So I think I'm covered transportation-wise lol. I may trade my 135is in for an X4 M40i (same motor as M2) for a little more room, once I've had my fun with the 135is. My brother keeps wanting me to buy an S3 because he loves his so much, but it's honestly not much bigger than the 135is. For disclosure, I am an empty nester, so it's mostly just me in my car and sometimes my wife or daughter.
Thats a good discount and a great interest rate. Pays to serve your country . At the 4.9% as a promo rate, I don't know why Chevy even bothers to offer it. The S3 is a nice little car but the styling is just too boring for a S car. How does it feel in terms of acceleration & performance between the 135i/M235i/M4 vs the Stingray? I mean I know the Vette is faster but are we talking not even close?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #85
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It pays to have a good credit rating lol.

As far as performance is concerned, there are a lot of different sensations or feelings. The tip-in on the 135is is much more aggressive, especially in sport, which at first blush makes the corvette seem much more docile, but once you get used to the different throttle mapping, you realize how fast the Vette really is.

Handling is definitely a step or two up. The corvette is simply flatter, and the meatier tires just hang on. They are PSS so most everyone here who has switched to them know hw good they are.

These are both small cars. The corvette seems so long because it is so low in comparison. In fact, I think the M2 and Corvette have almost identical widths and lengths.

As for sound, I think in normal driving the 135is with the PE generally sounds a little better. However, if you push the pedal on the Corvette, you realize how wonderful a V8 with all four exhaust valves open sounds. At the upper end, it sounds like a race car and it does burble and pop. It’s deeper than the 135is but not as frequent.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #86
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
You got a z06 for $55k??? Didn't think that was remotely possible. I presume not. I thought the z06 cars with 3lt packages were around $100k, although they seem pretty good buys used.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #87
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No, I got a new 2017 2LT Stingray for $55k.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #88
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, I got a new 2017 2LT Stingray for $55k.
Does it have the Z51 package? If not, how has the performance and handling felt? I've read that it's not detectable unless you're at the track.
Appreciate 0