BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > So I took my 1M to work today...

11-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I am amazed at how different these two cars are...

The first thing I always notice is how tall I'm sitting in the 1M. I don't like it, I like sitting IN my car, not ON it. It feels weird and is probably why I always miss the sunroof in the 1M and don't notice the lack thereof in the M2 (cause my head feels so close to the roof in the 1M).

The next thing I notice is the steering. Freaking wonderful in the 1M. The M2 is on its snow tires right now and they are over inflated by 3psi (pending the cold that ill hit here shortly). Therefore the M2 steering feels so over boosted and unnatural it is unreal. I need to let some pressure out - but even then, and even with the standard tires. the electric steering of the M2, is no fun compared to the 1M.

and then I clutch in... oh my, so wonderful, the engine does not rev unnaturally, GAWD I hate rev match! Soo nice not to have it - soo nice, that for a minute, I think, should I code it out of the M2 in spite of the drawbacks? (to be fair, based on a thread about how to shift a 6 speed manual, I'm not doing it right - or the way most people do it - I clutch in while slowing down). But I simply HATE that feature and immediately love the 1M for not having it.)

Then I go to make a call... but the damn iDrive has not paired my phone nor updated the phonebook. Not so with the M2 which almost immediate. I miss the fancy features of the M2 in terms of making a call quickly. I certainly don't miss the Apple Play (shut off day#1) and now Pandora and Spotify taking their time loading up when I plug into the M2. And while I still am THRILLED to have the iDrive in the 1M, the slowness of connecting hurts.

Of course, if I want to listen to music - say on my iPhone and shuffle a playlist, I can do that about 10x faster in the 1M than the M2. Why BMW makes it harder with each revision of iDrive to just play a playlist is beyond me. Heck, in fact, many times, I can't even get the M2 to play music on my iPhone!

Then I hit some of the Chicago area roads and wow - the 1M is so much more compliant. How/why did they make the M2 ride so bad compared to the 1M? I'm bouncing all day long in the M2, but the 1M just feels amazing - so perfect.

Finally I get home and I'm wondering, what was missing? Ahhh, the sound.... the M2 (with active sound) is so amazing - heck, even without it, it starts up so nice (neighborhood 16 year old said "I know every morning when you go to work - that car sounds so good when you start it")

I got home and thought - if BMW could combine the great features of both of these cars, we would have the most perfect BMW....
as a VO 1M owner and LBB 6 speed manual M2 owner, I agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #24
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Thanks OP for write up.

As an average height guy I never noticed what so ever that I was sitting too tall in the 1M but I do have manual seats. It makes me want to find someone in the region who has the car with power seats just to see the difference. I won't hold my breath......
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #25
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

To clarify.. I do have the electric seats. Would be curious if the manual ones are that much lower - someday I hope to find out - but no, not switching them out - car is staying stock

Drove it last few days- now at 4,850 miles! Put gas in it today - for the first time... in ONE YEAR. Yea, I know, I should drive it more - but right now, I'm trying to figure out how to wash it before I store it for the winter!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #26
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just my personal thought about my M2.

I've been a MT driver for over 15 years and I love auto-rev feature. it's so sweet and sharp in Sport mode when I turn into my block from 3rd to 2nd gear. I have a S2000 that I take to track and I do know how to heel-toe but I really don't want to be doing it when I go grocery shopping on my 5 min drive to the supermarket.

My apple car-play works perfectly every time. I have LCI and iPhone7.

Steering feel, I had a e92 328 and I do understand electric rack is worse but M2 is not THAT bad at all. I was expecting the worse but it's far better than my S2000 feel and slightly better than F80. Very direct but no, it will never be as good as hydraulics.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 2
DETRoadster11456.00
      11-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Thanks OP for write up.

As an average height guy I never noticed what so ever that I was sitting too tall in the 1M but I do have manual seats. It makes me want to find someone in the region who has the car with power seats just to see the difference. I won't hold my breath......
Quote:
To clarify.. I do have the electric seats. Would be curious if the manual ones are that much lower - someday I hope to find out - but no, not switching them out - car is staying stock

Drove it last few days- now at 4,850 miles! Put gas in it today - for the first time... in ONE YEAR. Yea, I know, I should drive it more - but right now, I'm trying to figure out how to wash it before I store it for the winter!

Just search the 1M forums. It's WELL documented. (So much so that it was EASY to remember and point that out for you six years later! I also recalled that someone had sold their 1M and bought a one after realizing their error and that person made a big deal of the difference in seats. That may have been @nachob or it could have been others. )

Getting MANUAL seats for the 1M was definitely on my radar, because i wear a helmet in mine.

If you want to find out for yourself then maybe find a 1M that's been traded in to a Porsche dealer and go take a test drive
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #28
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Thanks OP for write up.

Quote:

Just search the 1M forums. It's WELL documented. (So much so that it was EASY to remember and point that out for you six years later! I also recalled that someone had sold their 1M and bought a one after realizing their error and that person made a big deal of the difference in seats. That may have been @nachob or it could have been others. )

Getting MANUAL seats for the 1M was definitely on my radar, because i wear a helmet in mine.

If you want to find out for yourself then maybe find a 1M that's been traded in to a Porsche dealer and go take a test drive
Yes I sold my first stripper 1M with manual seats. After I decided to find another 1M instead of M2, I test drove a couple of 1Ms with power seats. I had them at the lowest setting and still felt too high. It might be ok for someone with tall legs but I'm pretty average 5"10" and just didn't feel right. Sit too high not horrible still fine but having had the manual seats before I could tell a difference. Many
Don't care but the OP noticed it and I'm just confirming what many of the original 1M reviewers also said. This was not lost on BMW. The M2 press cars they gave to us media originally came with manual seats even though they wouldn't offer them in the US.

Basically if you like the position of the power seats, all good but if you prefer the lower position the manual seats are better for that. Ironically, the main reason I originally wanted manual seats was because my 1M was a daily driver and I had kids to drop off st school every day and the manual seats slide quickly forward to let people in and out quickly. With power seats you have motors slowly moving seat forward and back and doing that everyday would get me killed as the school drop off zone only fits a couple of cars and parents are waiting for you to drop off and move.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Basically if you like the position of the power seats, all good but if you prefer the lower position the manual seats are better for that. Ironically, the main reason I originally wanted manual seats was because my 1M was a daily driver and I had kids to drop off st school every day and the manual seats slide quickly forward to let people in and out quickly. With power seats you have motors slowly moving seat forward and back and doing that everyday would get me killed as the school drop off zone only fits a couple of cars and parents are waiting for you to drop off and move.
I'd say there is a difference of at least one inch in height between manual and power seats.

The F-gen cars have generally lower seating position, I've driven an M2 with power seat and I didn't get the feeling of sitting on top of it as much as I do in the E82.
      11-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #30
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Post some pics of the 1M
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #31
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
I am amazed at how different these two cars are...

The first thing I always notice is how tall I'm sitting in the 1M. I don't like it, I like sitting IN my car, not ON it. It feels weird and is probably why I always miss the sunroof in the 1M and don't notice the lack thereof in the M2 (cause my head feels so close to the roof in the 1M).

The next thing I notice is the steering. Freaking wonderful in the 1M. The M2 is on its snow tires right now and they are over inflated by 3psi (pending the cold that ill hit here shortly). Therefore the M2 steering feels so over boosted and unnatural it is unreal. I need to let some pressure out - but even then, and even with the standard tires. the electric steering of the M2, is no fun compared to the 1M.

and then I clutch in... oh my, so wonderful, the engine does not rev unnaturally, GAWD I hate rev match! Soo nice not to have it - soo nice, that for a minute, I think, should I code it out of the M2 in spite of the drawbacks? (to be fair, based on a thread about how to shift a 6 speed manual, I'm not doing it right - or the way most people do it - I clutch in while slowing down). But I simply HATE that feature and immediately love the 1M for not having it.)

Then I go to make a call... but the damn iDrive has not paired my phone nor updated the phonebook. Not so with the M2 which almost immediate. I miss the fancy features of the M2 in terms of making a call quickly. I certainly don't miss the Apple Play (shut off day#1) and now Pandora and Spotify taking their time loading up when I plug into the M2. And while I still am THRILLED to have the iDrive in the 1M, the slowness of connecting hurts.

Of course, if I want to listen to music - say on my iPhone and shuffle a playlist, I can do that about 10x faster in the 1M than the M2. Why BMW makes it harder with each revision of iDrive to just play a playlist is beyond me. Heck, in fact, many times, I can't even get the M2 to play music on my iPhone!

Then I hit some of the Chicago area roads and wow - the 1M is so much more compliant. How/why did they make the M2 ride so bad compared to the 1M? I'm bouncing all day long in the M2, but the 1M just feels amazing - so perfect.

Finally I get home and I'm wondering, what was missing? Ahhh, the sound.... the M2 (with active sound) is so amazing - heck, even without it, it starts up so nice (neighborhood 16 year old said "I know every morning when you go to work - that car sounds so good when you start it")

I got home and thought - if BMW could combine the great features of both of these cars, we would have the most perfect BMW....
I find these self-pleasuring posts hilarious. Yes buddy, your 1M is the greatest thing ever. Nothing else will ever compare. There are only two kinds of people...those with a 1M and those without. Good on you
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
I find these self-pleasuring posts hilarious.
Are you into "self-pleasuring?"
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #33
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Are you into "self-pleasuring?"
Never in public view.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Never in public view.
How about Louie CK style?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I find these self-pleasuring posts hilarious. Yes buddy, your 1M is the greatest thing ever. Nothing else will ever compare. There are only two kinds of people...those with a 1M and those without. Good on you
Best post ever!

Now, time to self-pleasure - and then sit down and teach you how to read.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #36
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Your post reminds me why I always wanted a 1M.
I'm wondering if having those two cars is not duplicate? I mean regarding their "similar" size and spirit (I understood it was a lot different on several point but still).

Instagram: @MrYLT
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 07:08 AM   #37
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs67 View Post
Your post reminds me why I always wanted a 1M.
I'm wondering if having those two cars is not duplicate? I mean regarding their "similar" size and spirit (I understood it was a lot different on several point but still).
Unfortunately they are duplicates in terms of their size and spirit. My friends make fun of me for having two 2-door BMWs when we are a family of four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Post some pics of the 1M
fine - but only for that Die dude...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MrYLT146.50
alexc93380.50
bobert858.50
      11-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #38
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
This is nothing. OP simply stated the various aspects of which the 1M is superior to the M2. It's regurgitated info, I'll agree. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past two years, you're well aware of the better hydraulic steering and overall raw, analog feel of the 1M. To his credit, OP did balance his fanboyism by providing superior aspects of the M2.

If you want to feel nauseated, head over to the 1M subforum. Some of those posts are real head scratchers, to say the least. To certain owners, the 1M arose from the automotive ashes and well, you get the point. M2 buyers sometimes over-justify their purchases. This is well documented. It's just on a whole other level over there.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #39
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

regurgitated fanboyism? Ouch!
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      11-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #40
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I agree with the OP. The 1M is such a great car and it made me buy the M2. My brother has the 1M and we can say BOTH cars are very similar and fun to drive. We feel lucky to have both in the family and we are now patiently waiting for the M2 CSL
      11-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #41
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
regurgitated fanboyism? Ouch!
No, no. Balanced fanboyism and regurgitated info
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #42
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
This is nothing. OP simply stated the various aspects of which the 1M is superior to the M2. It's regurgitated info, I'll agree. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past two years, you're well aware of the better hydraulic steering and overall raw, analog feel of the 1M. To his credit, OP did balance his fanboyism by providing superior aspects of the M2.

If you want to feel nauseated, head over to the 1M subforum. Some of those posts are real head scratchers, to say the least. To certain owners, the 1M arose from the automotive ashes and well, you get the point. M2 buyers sometimes over-justify their purchases. This is well documented. It's just on a whole other level over there.
The 1M is a special car in a way that an M2 will never be. For one thing it is rare, and for another it has not depreciated, in spite of these cars now being 5-6 years old. Many of the 1Ms that were originally sold into the Canadian market have been imported into the USA, the simple reality of which shows that the vehicle is "hot." Rather than analyzing peoples' motivations and behaviors and postings in a forum, I personally prefer to watch what people DO. Going to the trouble of importing a car from Canada to the USA shows the extent that people will go to in the effort of procuring one.

No one in their right mind would bother to import an M2 into the USA from another country. The car is not exclusive, it's a production car. Anyone can buy one, with a few thousand dollars down, and halfway decent credit. And it is going to depreciate like all get out, which is to say, like just about any other BMW, M-car or not.

This is not to diminish the M2, which is a very nice car, it just isn't a special car. I'll probably buy one when I can reach a deal with my dealer to trade in my 135i coupe. But I doubt I'll ever get rid of my 1M; it's special, it's rare, and it is irreplaceable. And having test driven an M2 last week, I do think it's a nice car, just it isn't special.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #43
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The 1M is a special car in a way that an M2 will never be. For one thing it is rare, and for another it has not depreciated, in spite of these cars now being 5-6 years old. Many of the 1Ms that were originally sold into the Canadian market have been imported into the USA, the simple reality of which shows that the vehicle is "hot." Rather than analyzing peoples' motivations and behaviors and postings in a forum, I personally prefer to watch what people DO. Going to the trouble of importing a car from Canada to the USA shows the extent that people will go to in the effort of procuring one.

No one in their right mind would bother to import an M2 into the USA from another country. The car is not exclusive, it's a production car. Anyone can buy one, with a few thousand dollars down, and halfway decent credit. And it is going to depreciate like all get out, which is to say, like just about any other BMW, M-car or not.

This is not to diminish the M2, which is a very nice car, it just isn't a special car. I'll probably buy one when I can reach a deal with my dealer to trade in my 135i coupe. But I doubt I'll ever get rid of my 1M; it's special, it's rare, and it is irreplaceable. And having test driven an M2 last week, I do think it's a nice car, just it isn't special.
I appreciate your candid subjective enthusiasm. That said, it mirrors the one-sided, unprecedented fanboyism abundantly found on the 1M board. You basically shat on a car that I’m sure you have no (extended) driving experience with.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #44
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:

I don't know - I'm starting to think the M2 must be a little bit special considering all the time you spend in this forum repeatedly talking about how it isn't.