BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 owner drove an M4 today... thoughts

11-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
lukewayne
Rep
Drives: LBB F87 LBB 6MT

Thumbs up M2 owner drove an M4 today... thoughts

I drive a ‘17 M2 6MT. I came from a tastefully modded E36, and I bought my M2 without a test drive of any sort.

I love my M2. It’s very close to exactly what I wanted from it, basically a modern much more powerful version of my lil E36. But I had many thoughts of M3/M4 while I was waiting my turn to even get the option to buy my M2. Especially when the dealers were all trying to get 10-20k over sticker... maybe I should just find the money for the bigger car,.... maybe the larger size would be more suitable for a guy in his mid 30s,.... maybe I needed those horses and M modes and, and, and...

So anyway, you can imagine my excitement when a new co-worker offered to let me drive his M4 this morning and encouraged me to abuse it.

I just wanted to throw a few thoughts in here for others that are trying to pick between the two.

First off, I’m so happy I stuck with the M2.
While it was only a brief drive, I felt the size difference and prefer the smaller M2
His car had DCT, and boy is it neat how fast it shifts (faster and sharper than my wife’s 135i by a long shot)but I sorely missed my third pedal. The M4 has so much power And it shifts so fast and effortlessly that I felt I wasn’t the one doing the driving.

Heads up display was neat but a bit distracting (probably less distracting when it’s not brand new)

There was a lot going on on the dash with all the extra M modes and transmission modes, all of which I really don’t need, I wish I had a bit more control over the sport modes in my M2, but I don’t need everything the M4 has, really I’d be happy if the M2 would just stay in Sport+ all the time.

M4 has more power and more getup and go, but as a daily fun driver it seemed like a power reserve that would go mostly untapped for me.

Anyway I’m grateful to finally have driven the M4, and glad I stuck with the 2
'17 F87 LBB 6MT - Xpel Ultimate front half, cQuartz, 3M Crystalline Tint (70 windshield, 50 sides and back) - M Perf CF Diffuser - IND Body color reflectors front and rear - IND Body color side gills - Black grill.
Appreciate 6
AlexCirci496.50
McGary911467.00
atxsk8r1568.50
M2PDX2906.50
Corinne1171.00
      11-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewayne View Post
I drive a ‘17 M2 6MT. I came from a tastefully modded E36, and I bought my M2 without a test drive of any sort.

I love my M2. It’s very close to exactly what I wanted from it, basically a modern much more powerful version of my lil E36. But I had many thoughts of M3/M4 while I was waiting my turn to even get the option to buy my M2. Especially when the dealers were all trying to get 10-20k over sticker... maybe I should just find the money for the bigger car,.... maybe the larger size would be more suitable for a guy in his mid 30s,.... maybe I needed those horses and M modes and, and, and...

So anyway, you can imagine my excitement when a new co-worker offered to let me drive his M4 this morning and encouraged me to abuse it.

I just wanted to throw a few thoughts in here for others that are trying to pick between the two.

While it was only a brief drive, I felt the size difference and prefer the smaller M2
His car had DCT, and boy is it neat how fast it shifts (faster and sharper than my wife’s 135i by a long shot)but I sorely missed my third pedal. The M4 has so much power And it shifts so fast and effortlessly that I felt I wasn’t the one doing the driving.

Heads up display was neat but a bit distracting (probably less distracting when it’s not brand new)

There was a lot going on on the dash with all the extra M modes and transmission modes, all of which I really don’t need, I wish I had a bit more control over the sport modes in my M2, but I don’t need everything the M4 has, really I’d be happy if the M2 would just stay in Sport+ all the time.

M4 has more power and more getup and go, but as a daily fun driver it seemed like a power reserve that would go mostly untapped for me.

I test drove an M4 about 18 months ago and had a similar response: beautiful machine that is powerful, fast and impressive. However, even then, I preferred my much smaller and less powerful 135i with M Performance parts; the M4 was just too big. I picked up my M2 on October 4th, 2017 at BMW Welt and put 3500 miles on it in 19 days running around Europe to see friends and family. I am sooo glad I got the M2: smaller, nimble, like a four-wheeled motorcycle (I'm a beemer rider at heart, having had 5 of them in the past 23 years). The great thing about cars is the variety of makes, models and drivers. Enjoy whatever your favorite ride is - as BMW auf Deutsch says 'Freude am Fahren!" 'The Joy of Driving' is what we make us smile.
V.Smurf162.00
      11-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
V.Smurf
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT (LCI) | X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
The great thing about cars is the variety of makes, models and drivers. Enjoy whatever your favorite ride is - as BMW auf Deutsch says 'Freude am Fahren!" 'The Joy of Driving' is what we make us smile.
Perfectly said

I love that there is so much choice available. Even within the M2 family, this forum represents a number of different ways folks enjoy their car and modify it to suit their hobby / lifestyle / atheistic perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I wonder if you had bought the M4 and he had the M2 and you swapped if the story would be the same? It doesn't read that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:47 AM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I wonder if you had bought the M4 and he had the M2 and you swapped if the story would be the same? It doesn't read that way.
I was that person and so far only had the brief time with one at the Performance Delivery center at my M2 pick up. It is at the detailer this week then it will be home. Then i will have a better opinion. The short time i beat the PC car I was totally pleased with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
M4 owner with a third pedal here (and titanium exhaust).

I daily drove the M4 for about 18 months and then got a second vehicle. Now when I drive the M it feels really special where before it felt kind of mundane after a while. I was offered the first M2 from my dealer in December 2015 but went with the 4 because of the heads up display actually.

I had the opportunity to drive an M2 recently with DCT and it's a great little car. Aside from the luxury touches in the M4 the only thing M2 buyers are really missing out on (and my only complaint) were the seats. They felt soft, so when I'd go in to a corner I'd end up by moving in the seat.

It was a great, tossable little car though that was a lot of fun to drive and more than we'd ever need on public roads. I am also #2 on the list for an M2 CSL at my local dealer which if they allocate one for me I'll take regardless of the seats or transmission.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      11-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
the only thing M2 buyers are really missing out on (and my only complaint) were the seats. They felt soft, so when I'd go in to a corner I'd end up by moving in the seat.
There's 2 buttons on the side of the seat. Push and hold and the side bolsters inflate/deflate with air making the seat tighter/softer. Fully inflated you don't move. That being said, i'd prefer nicer seats like the F8x has.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
the only thing M2 buyers are really missing out on (and my only complaint) were the seats. They felt soft, so when I'd go in to a corner I'd end up by moving in the seat.
There's 2 buttons on the side of the seat in an M2. Push and hold and the sides inflate/deflate with air making the seat tighter/softer
I know. I made it as tight as possible.

I found it to be more the seat bottom than back. As far as I know, the seat bottom bolsters aren't adjustable on any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #9
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

I test the M4 last year. I loved the machine. I would own the M4. Its a very different experience compared to the M2. There is a very good chance in the near future an M4 will be in my garage. Superb machine. Certainly, owning either is good!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I beat the shit out of both the M3/M4 Comp packages at the BMW Performance Center for 1-day M School (and drove the M2 back to back with the M3)

The M3/M4 is a way different car...way more busy, fat and I honestly don't think its that much faster.

The M2 is way more playful and flickable.

With that said, for as heavy as the M3/M4 is...it hides the weight extremely well and you really can throw it into a fast corner and not feel like the car is going to kill you. All three cars are extremely easy to drive (and quickly).

By the end of the dry-skid-pad event, I was doing full 180 degree power-slides in the M3...its a fun car
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
      11-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Aside from the luxury touches in the M4 the only thing M2 buyers are really missing out on (and my only complaint) were the seats. They felt soft, so when I'd go in to a corner I'd end up by moving in the seat.
This is correct...the M2 seats are appalling bad on the track. I'm surprised the M3/M4 seats hold as well as they do for street seats...very comparable to Porsche street seats (non-buckets).

We'd get in the M2 and my sides would be killing me by the end of 10 quick laps from trying to hold myself in place
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

With that said, for as heavy as the M3/M4 is...it hides the weight extremely well and you really can throw it into a fast corner and not feel like the car is going to kill you.
A stripper F80/82 is only around 100 lbs heavier than our cars. BMW did an excellent job utilizing CF on certain components. It's a featherweight compared to its C63/RS5/GT350 and especially RC-F (over 4000 lbs yuck) competitors.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
A stripper F80/82 is only around 100 lbs heavier than our cars. BMW did an excellent job utilizing CF on certain components. It's a featherweight compared to its C63/RS5/GT350 and especially RC-F (over 4000 lbs yuck) competitors.
yeah, but the car would be a true performer if it was around 3000 lbs...the extra 400-500 lbs really kills performance
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I beat the shit out of both the M3/M4 Comp packages at the BMW Performance Center for 1-day M School (and drove the M2 back to back with the M3)

The M3/M4 is a way different car...way more busy, fat and I honestly don't think its that much faster.

The M2 is way more playful and flickable.

With that said, for as heavy as the M3/M4 is...it hides the weight extremely well and you really can throw it into a fast corner and not feel like the car is going to kill you. All three cars are extremely easy to drive (and quickly).

By the end of the dry-skid-pad event, I was doing full 180 degree power-slides in the M3...its a fun car
It's difficult to find the true potential of a car in these performance driving schools because they won't let you turn off the traction control except in skid pads.
One needs exceptional driving skills to drive M3/M4 at 10/10 because of its edgy power delivery. The same is not true for the M2 because the chassis/powertrain is very forgiving. It communicates so well that you actually feel more confident driving at 10/10, which helps turning out a faster lap.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I did the two day M School last year when my M2 was on the way to port and it was great to drive the M3,4 and M2 back to back and really get to know the cars. I think the M3/4 gets a bit of an unfair rap by us M2 folks, probably because most of us have either not driven one or only driven one shortly and on regular roads and conditions. All three are fantastic cars but my experience reinforced that the M2 was the right car for me because of the M2 size being perfect for me, what I perceive as superior overall ergonomics in the M2, great exhaust note and a price point that is a great value proposition.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #16
VR-Tech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG, 2015 F82 M4

Quote:

Which version of the M4? I owned the first Gen M4 jas marina Blue with the M exhaust and owned the 17'M2.

M4
1. More Torque
2. Nicier interiors
3. More HP
4. (I actually like the exhaust note, like an angry dragon)
5. Gorgeous Exterior. The blue color got constant comments mainly girls which is rare
6. Feels more premium
7. More customizable
8. small dead on centered steering (no input registration) better on the M2
9. Definitely bigger (sort of feels like my old E39 m5)

M2.
1. Sounds little better
2. Corners better (personal opinion)
3. Love the shorter wheelbase
4. Not as torquey as the M4, but good enough
5. Feels it requires more engagement to drive it fast, opposed to the M4
6. Gets more attention from guys (Mineral Grey)
7. Interiors feels more sport focused oriented that the M4
8. Overall is more fun to drive that the M4, but the M4 still plenty fun
9. I little sponginess on the steering when compared to My 135IS and my older M's, still feel they drive better than the M2 and M4.
10. Less premium as whole but it is to be expected from a price standpoint
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #17
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Tech View Post
Which version of the M4? I owned the first Gen M4 jas marina Blue with the M exhaust and owned the 17'M2.

M4
1. More Torque
2. Nicier interiors
3. More HP
4. (I actually like the exhaust note, like an angry dragon)
5. Gorgeous Exterior. The blue color got constant comments mainly girls which is rare
6. Feels more premium
7. More customizable
8. small dead on centered steering (no input registration) better on the M2
9. Definitely bigger (sort of feels like my old E39 m5)

M2.
1. Sounds little better
2. Corners better (personal opinion)
3. Love the shorter wheelbase
4. Not as torquey as the M4, but good enough
5. Feels it requires more engagement to drive it fast, opposed to the M4
6. Gets more attention from guys (Mineral Grey)
7. Interiors feels more sport focused oriented that the M4
8. Overall is more fun to drive that the M4, but the M4 still plenty fun
9. I little sponginess on the steering when compared to My 135IS and my older M's, still feel they drive better than the M2 and M4.
10. Less premium as whole but it is to be expected from a price standpoint
Good points....that pretty much sums it up. I had the m4, 10k in mods and it was a great car but I think the M2 will be over all a more rounded car
Appreciate 1
VR-Tech117.00
      11-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I came from an e90 M3 6MT as DD and it put a smile on my face every day. People complain about stick in commute traffic but I never had a problem with it.

My DD is now M2 DCT and I’m not getting that same satisfaction. It takes a lot more work to make the M2 exciting as a DD.
In the canyons however the M2 handling is miles better than the M3 was.

Other notes. Interior of M3 was much better quality than M2. Steering on M3 felt better, more connected. Entertainment system on M2 is miles ahead, though the 3 was a 2008.
DCT on M2 is nice, can’t wait to put it through its paces.

Car is just past break in service and I have a track day coming up in December. Should have a better overall comparison then.
Appreciate 0