BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Picked up M2 in Welt 11/15

11-17-2017, 03:16 AM   #1
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Picked up M2 in Welt 11/15

Just picked up my 18 manual LBB via euro delivery on 11/15. It's great and much improvement over my 335xi.

While on the factory tour and just about every chance I could, I asked about the M2 base going away in June and repeatedly got looks like WTF would we do that. They also, without saying exact price on anything for the M2 CS, implied that its not going to be cheap so as to compete with the M3/4. Thus, if you want the M2 CS, you want it because its an M2 CS, not because its competing in anyway with the price of the M3/4. Get ready to drop some serious cash for the CS.

Since it's after Oct 15 and very cold, I opted for the M&S tire rental which came on the car at pickup, saving a lot of time and hassle of switching tires during ED. They said at dropoff it will take 30 min to switch tires back to my stock rims and MPSS. If you are doing ED in winter months, save yourself the hell of driving MPSS in freezing temps and rent the correct tires.

The base M2 is a great car and cries to go faster when it sees /// on the German highway. Break-in can't come soon enough.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 4
      11-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Congrats on the car and enjoy the trip! Be sure to post some pics when you can. #LBBalldayeveryday
      11-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
Just picked up my 18 manual LBB via euro delivery on 11/15. It's great and much improvement over my 335xi.

While on the factory tour and just about every chance I could, I asked about the M2 base going away in June and repeatedly got looks like WTF would we do that. They also, without saying exact price on anything for the M2 CS, implied that its not going to be cheap so as to compete with the M3/4. Thus, if you want the M2 CS, you want it because its an M2 CS, not because its competing in anyway with the price of the M3/4. Get ready to drop some serious cash for the CS.

Since it's after Oct 15 and very cold, I opted for the M&S tire rental which came on the car at pickup, saving a lot of time and hassle of switching tires during ED. They said at dropoff it will take 30 min to switch tires back to my stock rims and MPSS. If you are doing ED in winter months, save yourself the hell of driving MPSS in freezing temps and rent the correct tires.

The base M2 is a great car and cries to go faster when it sees /// on the German highway. Break-in can't come soon enough.
When you say CS do you mean the BASE M2 Competition for MY19 or do you mean the M2 CSL we haven't seen, because there isn't a CS model, yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Another LBB M2 in Austin!?!?

LOL kidding, congrats on the ride, hope to see it around town or maybe not
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

When you say CS do you mean the BASE M2 Competition for MY19 or do you mean the M2 CSL we haven't seen, because there isn't a CS model, yet.

the one that will have an s55 engine, whatever it ends up being called.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Do you think it's possible they consider the S55 Competition M2 as a base M2 so from their perspective the base M2 is not going away?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Do you think it's possible they consider the S55 Competition M2 as a base M2 so from their perspective the base M2 is not going away?

My impression of their responses is the s55 would be on the higher end version, but the base m2 would go largely unchanged. If Leipzig was closer I'd drive and see if they have a factory tour. in munich you can see the new g line 3 series being built while on the tour, very cool stuff. the line itself, not the car.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
My impression of their responses is the s55 would be on the higher end version, but the base m2 would go largely unchanged. If Leipzig was closer I'd drive and see if they have a factory tour. in munich you can see the new g line 3 series being built while on the tour, very cool stuff. the line itself, not the car.
Congrats on getting your new M2.Just curious about the design of the new 3 series.Does the new front end styling still have the headlights going right into the grille.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
I believe someone else on here said there is a factory tour at Leipzig - looks like there is:

https://www.bmw-besuchen.com/visitbm...ipzig/?lang=en

How did you see the new g-line 3-series in the Munich factory two days ago, considering it's not in production yet - were they building a prototype somewhere in there?
      11-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Congrats on getting your new M2.Just curious about the design of the new 3 series.Does the new front end styling still have the headlights going right into the grille.

I said I saw the line being built to build the new g series, not the car itself. seeing how they put these robots together, etc
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

I'm going to go with the people on here who have proven time and again they know what's going on. S55 m2 is called m2 competition and will replace the base model and judging from the materials and options will not cost as much as a M4. But I hope you love your new M2!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M2 "base" is a great car with a reasonable price.
If it's mainly for DD you'll not need that Competition/ CS / CSL
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
M2 "base" is a great car with a reasonable price.
If it's mainly for DD you'll not need that Competition/ CS / CSL

the best handling car I've ever owned and no regrets.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:

Did my second ED at the Welt on October 4th, 2017 for my M2; the first was in 2009 for my 2010 135i. Both experiences were wonderful and the rental of wheels and tires from ED (European Delivery) Winter was worth every penny. The temperatures varied from the mid-30s at the top of the Stelvio Pass to mid-50s in the Netherlands. I also curbed a rim in a Parisian underground garage; much better than curbing my own M2 gorgeous rims! ED Winter Tires is worth every penny!