BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. GT350 Owners Thread

11-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #23
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
[QUOTE=mWHO;22399456 The novelty of a GT350R would be enough to compensate for this, but when both my dealers have +10 unsold 17' GT350s, you may start to wonder if change is necessary. I think Ford needs to take a look at the C7 for what would be the minimum on cars at this price level.[/QUOTE]

Are those 10 GT350s marked-up?

You can get nice discounts on the C7.

See where I'm going with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #24
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Are those 10 GT350s marked-up?

You can get nice discounts on the C7.

See where I'm going with this?
No actually, they are 10k OFF MSRP.

http://www.sherwoodford.ca/vehicle-d...ab-id-14401940

I'm not sure where you are going with this though...
Epsom Green P38 Range Rover SE
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      11-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Someone was comparing the acceleration of the 350 to the M2 after only taking it to 6500 rpm which is short of its peak tq much less it's peak HP as it's redline is 8250 rpm . Kind of hard to judge the cars acceleration in that circumstance....
Right, well in that case I may have misspoken... Up to 6500, the GT350 feels as fast as the M2. I should note that this is also something someone who has owned both told me (although he did not state the RPM), that they feel just as fast as each other. I totally agree that an anything but a small and or tight track, the GT350 would be in fact faster.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
No actually, they are 10k OFF MSRP.

http://www.sherwoodford.ca/vehicle-d...ab-id-14401940

I'm not sure where you are going with this though...
MSRP for a GT350 is around $55k, not $80k. That dealer is not only trying to rape people, but also calling them stupid as well....knocking off $10k from their original $25k markup because on one will bite. If that was a 350R, $70k would be doable. ADM sickens me, especially if it's not a limited production model like a base GT350.

Sorry edit. It's CAD....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #27
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
Someone was comparing the acceleration of the 350 to the M2 after only taking it to 6500 rpm which is short of its peak tq much less it's peak HP as it's redline is 8250 rpm . Kind of hard to judge the cars acceleration in that circumstance....
Right, well in that case I may have misspoken... Up to 6500, the GT350 feels as fast as the M2. I should note that this is also something someone who has owned both told me (although he did not state the RPM), that they feel just as fast as each other. I totally agree that an anything but a small and or tight track, the GT350 would be in fact faster.
The fact is a GT350 traps 118-119 and the R traps 119-120 mph that's quit a bit faster than an M2 , even one with DCT traps 113 . 6/7 mph is a LOT . A 350R pulls harder than an M4 much less an m2 when looking at actual data and seat of the pants but you have to rev it out .
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
The fact is a GT350 traps 118-119 and the R traps 119-120 mph that's quit a bit faster than an M2 , even one with DCT traps 113 . 6/7 mph is a LOT . A 350R pulls harder than an M4 much less an m2 when looking at actual data and seat of the pants but you have to rev it out .
I routinely run with a GT350 at several local tracks and the driver is not bad. He will pull me on the straight (the GT350 winding out to redline sounds incredible from behind), but I pull him back in under braking and cornering and am usually 1-2 seconds a lap quicker.

Separately, my buddy rented a Shelby GT-H for fun and brought it to an open track day. That thing was horrible! My M2 was killing it on the track, especially under braking. I guess the GT-H is just a fancy 5.0, so maybe that’s to be expected. Sounded great, tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I do not own a GT350 - I've never even driven one - but I did get a chance to slowly walk around one and sit in one yesterday at the Phoenix Auto Show. I realize the OP is asking for feedback from actual owners, but I thought my input might build on what was offered from previous posters in regards to quality control.

I've owned 3 V8 Mustangs, and my first-ever new car back in '88 was an LX 5.0 hatchback. I loved that car. So I secretly root for Ford and I'm one of those people who thinks the world is a better place when Ford is making an exciting Mustang. But they've got quality problems, and I don't mean the kind that you need 20K miles of driving to discover. At the show yesterday, they had a candy apple red GT convertible, and the driver's door was so badly misaligned with the body that it must have stuck out over an 1/8 of an inch from the body, as if it wasn't properly closed all the way even though it was. On the GT350, the rear Cobra centerpiece trim that sits between the tail lights was off by almost a quarter of an inch side-to-side. We sat in the Shelby, and then sat in the Camaro 2SS and ZL-1, and Ford should be embarrassed by the difference in materials and difference in tactile feel between these cars. I've never owned a GM product in my life, and I secretly scoffed when my ex-wife bought a Chevy, but if I had $50K to spend and wanted American muscle, I'd buy a Camaro or a year-old C7 Stingray. I can't believe what Ford thinks is acceptable for an interior in a $60K car.

To reiterate, the GT350 may be the fastest thing on 4 wheels and sound like an orgasm, I'm not speaking to any of that. But if this thread is M2 vs. GT350, it's pertinent to comment that despite being basically the same price, I found the fit, finish, materials and build quality of these cars to be disappointingly very far apart.
Appreciate 2
mWHO118.50
Spa2k1193.00
      01-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #30
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

I own a GT350R as it replaced my beloved fully prepped supercharged 525 hp Z4M as my track car and it is just fantastic . The money is in the motor , manual transmission , suspension, carbon wheels , 305/315 sport cup 2's and a torsion differential, where it belongs. Best drivers car I have ever experienced period . Destroys any BMW on track time wise and is a better driving experience. Would I like a better interior sure , but whether you rev it out to 8300rpm or are just driving to work it's a special experience. Here is a session from Roebling raceway to show just how capable it is. Beat my fastest time in the Z4M by over half a second despite the Z4M being on Trofeo R's and me still learning the car .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #31
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I own a GT350R as it replaced my beloved fully prepped supercharged 525 hp Z4M as my track car and it is just fantastic . The money is in the motor , manual transmission , suspension, carbon wheels , 305/315 sport cup 2's and a torsion differential, where it belongs. Best drivers car I have ever experienced period . Destroys any BMW on track time wise and is a better driving experience. Would I like a better interior sure , but whether you rev it out to 8300rpm or are just driving to work it's a special experience. Here is a session from Roebling raceway to show just how capable it is. Beat my fastest time in the Z4M by over half a second despite the Z4M being on Trofeo R's and me still learning the car .
How does the Shelby make you feel? Although the M2 is growing on me all the time and I want to keep it, I found it surprising how much I've enjoyed driving other vehicles. Other vehicles that can put the "This is why I love cars" in my head and a big grin on my face; while the M2 is a subtle appreciation, one that I have to think about and listen for.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #32
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How does the Shelby make you feel? Although the M2 is growing on me all the time and I want to keep it, I found it surprising how much I've enjoyed driving other vehicles. Other vehicles that can put the "This is why I love cars" in my head and a big grin on my face; while the M2 is a subtle appreciation, one that I have to think about and listen for.
Best driving experience I've had in ANY car . It's an amazing experience on track and even just taking it to the grocery store . Literally has no understeer with the factory track alignment , excellent steering feel , progressive rear end , amazing magnetic shocks , best manual shifter I've had since an S2000 etc . The motor is truly special in its powerband as well as its feel and character . The sound is incredible too . Bottom line it always feels special .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #33
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

If you’re thinking about owning a GT 350, you’ll gain a world of insight in the Shelby GT 350 Mustang forum at Mustang6G.com.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #34
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
If you’re thinking about owning a GT 350, you’ll gain a world of insight in the Shelby GT 350 Mustang forum at Mustang6G.com.
Oh, I do lurk there frequently! I find it incredible the difference in opinion between you and the guy above in regards to the Shelby, while the M2 seems far less polarizing...
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Oh, I do lurk there frequently! I find it incredible the difference in opinion between you and the guy above in regards to the Shelby, while the M2 seems far less polarizing...
Huge difference between the Shelby GT-H and the GT350.

GT350 = awesome and should be a few seconds quicker on a 1m30s track than an M2.

Shelby GT-H = lipstick on a GT and has no characteristics better than an M2, other than sound. It’s slower on track than an M2 and the brakes are downright scary on track.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #36
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup - two totally different experiences. It seems that there are Shelby GT 350 lovers and Shelby GT 350 haters - and not many in-between, which is well-reflected at Mustang6G. Ownership converted me from one group to the other. I've been a little surprised at the number of original owners - including some diehard Shelby enthusiasts - who sold their cars within a year after buying one; a good friend of mine who bleeds Shelby blue bought three (all factory orders) and sold them all, trying to find a good one. Mine is on its 5th owner in less than a year.

Driving Ford's preproduction prototypes on the track without restrictions was one of my greatest life experiences. If my only interest in owning one were track duty, my opinion might be different - if I could get by the quality and reliability issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #37
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup - two totally different experiences. It seems that there are Shelby GT 350 lovers and Shelby GT 350 haters - and not many in-between, which is well-reflected at Mustang6G. Ownership converted me from one group to the other. I've been a little surprised at the number of original owners - including some diehard Shelby enthusiasts - who sold their cars within a year after buying one; a good friend of mine who bleeds Shelby blue bought three (all factory orders) and sold them all, trying to find a good one. Mine is on its 5th owner in less than a year.

Driving Ford's preproduction prototypes on the track without restrictions was one of my greatest life experiences. If my only interest in owning one were track duty, my opinion might be different - if I could get by the quality and reliability issues.
Maybe I got a good 350 R??? Interior material quality is poor ( hard plastics that can rattle etc ) but everything is put together well . I got it as my track day car so it has filled that role amazingly . Guess I didn't expect it to match the materials and build quality of a porsche or BMW from the beginning . I am fortunate enough to have a 991.2 Turbo S as well and I reach for the Mustangs keys frequently when it's time for a weekend fun drive .The driving experience in the 350 R is 8/10 on the street and 10/10 on track .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #38
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

I’m always happy to hear about guys who love their cars, and I’m jealous of the fact that you can rip that thing up to 8,250, stand on the brakes diving into a corner, hit the perfect orgasmic 3-2 downshift and then stomp on the gas again.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #39
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Quote:
I know this comparison exists, but as the title states, I want 1st hand experience anecdotes, not you or car club buddy's opinion. Looking for people who have owned, or driven more than a test drive of one, or preferably both.

So I picked up my M2 about a month ago, and the first few drives were fantastic. But now I don't find myself looking onto my driveway with endearing eyes to a personified machine that I can't wait to take out. I've driven her hard on the streets as I am not one to (literally) pussyfoot (no disrespect if you can appreciate the car with out bouncing off the redline every other day), however the short term enjoyment has been replaced with impartiality. Which leads me to my next story.

My old man and I had the privilege of going to Nashville, renting the Shelby GTH Hertz car (really a re-branded 5.0), and doing life threatening, jail sentencing speeds through the road known as 'The Tail of the Dragon". Despite my disappointment in receiving a misleading 5.0, the car was utterly amazing. So much bottom end prowess is fantastic around the streets; the noise is dopamine relasing; the handling is amazing (no we did not crash); the cabin although not as good as the M2 for quality, was not far off. And to follow up with my last point, if you've ever driven a luxury car a step above an Acura, you'll instantly notice the lack of spending in the Beamer. Plus I can get the Shelby for $5000 Maple Bucks under MSRP; which leads me to my question...

How good really is this Shelby car?

It would only be a summer DD with the climate I'm blessed with, and i'm yearning for raw, unprotected emotion. I would rather have an E36 M3 if I could, right now, just for the visceral experience. If a bloody Mustang GT can make me look in the mirror and have an car identity crisis, I cannot dream of what the Shelby has to offer.

>inB4 your beloved Mustang memes you and your simpleminded bros get off to

Also, I did a whole write up on why I think the M2 is a special car, which it is. I'm just not sure if its right for me.
The M2 is not right for you because you don't understand it. It's OK.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #40
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Might as well wait for GT500.

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #41
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Do you know why the grill opening is so large? Because the GT 500 was designed and built by the same people responsible for the GT 350 - so it will suck more than any other car on the planet.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #42
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Do you know why the grill opening is so large? Because the GT 500 was designed and built by the same people responsible for the GT 350 - so it will suck more than any other car on the planet.

I would love to have the new GT500 though, but with Ford's dealerships being notorious for ADM, the GT500 is probably not happening for me.

I wish Ford corporate would actually do something...it's ridiculous. Chevy, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc are no where as bad as Ford when it comes artificially raising their prices for high-end performance cars. I will give it to Tesla for advancing the car purchasing process, as soon as the current dealership model disappears, Ford dealers can kiss it...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #43
mWHO
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedasho View Post
The M2 is not right for you because you don't understand it. It's OK.
>you just dont understand it

Thanks for the laugh.

The M2 is the best possible package in the worst way. It checks every box; runs like its on rails, usable power, stylish, sounds good to alright, reasonably priced, makes you feel like Niki Lauda, comfortable etc. but simply doesn't scratch that amazement itch that former M cars did. Sure you get a usable mid range with forced induction and you get 7/10s the experience of the former but for me (and many other owners for that matter) it doesn't bring the full satisfaction.
Carbon Black E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #44
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have resisted responding to this thread but I have to chime in. I've held out long enough.

First, let me say I am biased to the Ford and Shelby brands.

Having worked for Shelby for 5 years, involved in from 2008-20014, I have been able to witness, confer on development and production decisions and participate in testing of some pretty awesome products.

That said, there is nothing that can compare, US-developed, with German engineering. Not at the same pricepoints. I have owned and E-46 M3, 2003 Boxster S, 2013 Boxster S and 2007, 2012 and a current 2016 Shelby.

I have just sold the 2016 Shelby GT350, Track Pack and have a 2018 M2 in route to Baltimore. My experience is first hand.

The major fiasco was the marking of this car right out of the box. Class action suit is still in process. The release was 3 trims. Tech - for the cruiser/techster/ Track Pack - for the occasional track rat and R for the all-out track experience. That was clear but Marketing threw in the phrase " the most track-capable Mustang ever!"

You had the tech package and base cars participating in open track days and without the oil, trans and diff coolers going into limp mode within 2-3 laps. Depending upon a variety of factors. Since then, from 17 on, the track pack coolers are now standard.

Impressions

- The GT350 is an eyeful for everyone. The sound intoxicating. The mystique of the Final Shelby approved development will linger.
- The Recaro's while great to look at are not for long commutes or trips, especially for the passenger.
- The noise/harshness/vibration issues are all there with the flat plane crank. Vibrating shifter, severe trammeling, bits, and pieces buzzing on the interior.
- The fit and finish is the worse I have ever experienced in any of my prior Ford products.
- Rear fascia design issue included. The tailpipes are part of the rear fascia and not the exhaust leading to a very heavy rear fascia putting undue stress on the mounting points resulting in large gaps that are quite embarrassing. The approved fix is nothing short of a hack job. Read up about it. Long history.
- The 5.0 Coyote oil pump gear issue is more prevalent on the GT350 due to the nature of the crank and upped redline. Hense the blown engines. Not a major concern for the daily driver of an occasional garage queen.
- The oil/trans cooler line bursting and catching that GT350 on fire in PA resulted in a stop sell order until parts were available. Dealer cars were first repaired, customer cars last. Waited 5 months for parts and repair. All good now.
- Exhaust is magnificent.
- Interior fit and finish and materials subpar at best.

Current base on the no option GT350 is $58.235 the R $65,735 (heater/ac and radio delete)
There was a scheduled end to the GT350 production, initially, in 2018. With the later development of the GT500, they have added 2019, made some additional tweaks and expect the price to rise again on both configurations. There are many deals to be had on the GT350 base cars as the sense is that people who were on the fence are getting juiced up on the GT500 and put the brakes on their decision.

The R is a totally different game. Cal. Dreaming Dealers are still holding some 16"s at triple digits. There is an occasional MSRP deal out there but still rare and far and few. The used market seems to be holding the ADM pricing for the time being but I am seeing some weak spots beginning in the used market. The R is a totally different car. Not for everyone. Gearheads are in love with the R.

I had the opportunity to drive an M2 Black Shadow package vehicle 2 weeks ago on a whim. Through, not well maintained, city streets, highway and some back roads, I became fascinated by just how good that car was.

- None of the NHV issues I became used to.
- No trammeling
- Interior fit and finish was impressive. I knew that going in after the E46.
- Liked the delivery of power. I believe it is pretty well matched for the vehicle. It feels right.
- Exterior fit and finish above expectations.
- Seats were excellent with many adjustments. ( no adjustments on the Recaro GT350)
- Felt nimble. Not an overweight aged muscle car. I love muscle cars.

I'll know more as the delivery day arrives and become more acquainted with the M2 as I have 2 nice road trips planned.

In the end, I never have had high expectations of US produced vehicles regarding fit and finish. Always expect a recall. Always in for TSB's.

Being a man-made object, all vehicles will have some nit to pick. Just my expectations are a notch above when it comes to the M2. Ready to enjoy a long relationship of miles and adventure.

Love Carroll, miss him dearly. He's gone, his mystiques live on. Just not in the current day product. That ended 4 years ago.
Appreciate 4
Mavus2014.50
Fuller1216.50