BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Anyone run with NASA for HPDE? Looking for feedback.

01-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I think my first experience instructing with NASA sums it up. A guy shows up in a Spec e30 with slicks and tells me he needs me to instruct him at Road Atlanta so he can "race".....problem was, he had never been on a road coarse before,let alone RA , and he just bought the car the week prior and had never driven it!! That was my last time with NASA....and I haven't looked back.
Off topic but this is the type of stuff that has kept me from pursuing to be an instructor. My nightmare is some newbie shows up in a gtr or new corvette and pushes the car to its limits but has no idea how to drive it at its limits.
      02-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

NASA TX is pretty good, the day is mostly geared for W2W and Tie Trials but the HPDE groups are good. They tend to put a few experience levels together though (beginner and intermediate for example).

For the most part it depends on if you have a good instructor or not. If you want to be really babysat the whole day maybe work with a club that has HPDE only days.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #25
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I think my first experience instructing with NASA sums it up. A guy shows up in a Spec e30 with slicks and tells me he needs me to instruct him at Road Atlanta so he can "race".....problem was, he had never been on a road coarse before,let alone RA , and he just bought the car the week prior and had never driven it!! That was my last time with NASA....and I haven't looked back.
woah, park it in a trailer or the wall, your choice. I had to talk a guy off a ledge with a 996 cup car, no race car exp. at all, had a 991 gt3 so he figured it would be similar. Egos and wallets can be very dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #26
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

In the Northeast NASA has some HPDE-only days, so for those the comments regarding racing and getting bumped don't apply. I went with them last year to Watkins Glen and enjoyed it; I'll go again this year.

But I was happy in HPDE 2, which in my opinion was as fast as the advanced groups in BMW CCA etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

I instruct with the Nasa FL region, and it's not horrible at all (I also instruct with three other driving organizations).

IMO, HPDE-4 with NASA is the most advanced run group out of any of the organizations I've driven with. It's a run group for racecars and advanced drivers with no point-by's and includes a very large range of vehicles. The advantage of this is that you can really trust that the other drivers on track with you know what they're doing.

Another advantage as a student, at least in the FL region, is that many of the instructors are racers, and not just advanced HPDE drivers. They can explain advanced techniques such as trail braking off-line and help drivers on their defensive skills instead of just learning the racing line.

As far as track time, with the FL region it's been pretty fairly divided. Sometimes sessions get short if there are red flags, but I've never left an event unsatisfied with the amount of track time I received.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #28
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i've never had any issues with NASA HPDEs in terms of:
-instruction. all my instructors (knock on wood) have been excellent, substantive.
-track time. i've never been bumped, they actually extended sessions on a few occasions. but 25mins is adequate and on par with other HPDE outfits
-safety. good flaggers, visible EMS and tow. i've never had any operational concerns
-drivers. i have encountered hot headed/ego drivers, but i suppose that's all true of HPDEs.

the reason why lockton doesn't cover HPDE-4 for nasa is because they will run TT in conjunction with, its a liability issue, because it's timed, not because it's more unsafe.

in summary, i have no issues with NASA and i continue to recommend their programs.