BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Beast from the east brakes locked

02-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Beast from the east brakes locked

Hi all

In the UK we are experiencing the beast from the east, weather from Russia. Last night after I finished work around 22.30 the temp was -3, I tied to drive but the breaks were frozen, at first I thought there was something wrong with the DCT. The car would not move, I push the peddle down and it would make a cluck noise and the car would knock outside of gear, I had a thought and throw warm water over the breaks and they released:-)

This is the first time I have had this happen to me in any car.
      02-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #2
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Blame the dog that peed over your "break" calipers.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 3
Aronis2271.50
M2Tom1.50
      02-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #3
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Lol, not far off. I did jet the car off a couple of hours before. I'm assuming the missed froze instantly and locked the pads to the discs. I'm at my dealer tomorrow, I will see what they say.
      02-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
Lol, not far off. I did jet the car off a couple of hours before. I'm assuming the missed froze instantly and locked the pads to the discs. I'm at my dealer tomorrow, I will see what they say.
Well they will prob tell you to not put water on your cold car, and let it freeze!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Quote:
Well they will prob tell you to not put water on your cold car, and let it freeze!
Lol, can't drive in the cold, wet and apply your brakes after in case they freeze. I have never had this problem on any other car
      02-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
For reference: Not sure I would do it again, but I did get a car wash (automated/touchless) at -13 F (-25 C). Immediately following, I drove it about 10 minutes and 10 miles without any issue with the brakes (the comfort close windows seemed to barely be able break the ice when I opened the door, though).

EDIT: I am just realizing you are talking about not driving it (much) afterwards...I have had the car stick in my garage after a wash. I thought my garage was heated to +45 F (the lowest my thermostat would go), but I think the thermostat is off and the heater has trouble keeping up - in other words it could have been that it was below freezing (I thought it could have been rust because it sat for 3-4 days). I have a 6 speed, so I was able to break it free by regulating the clutch and throttle. I would think you could do the same with the DCT.

Last edited by M2guru; 02-27-2018 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #7
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
For reference: Not sure I would do it again, but I did get a car wash (automated/touchless) at -13 F (-25 C). Immediately following, I drove it about 10 minutes and 10 miles without any issue with the brakes (the comfort close windows seemed to barely be able break the ice when I opened the door, though).

EDIT: I am just realizing you are talking about not driving it (much) afterwards...I have had the car stick in my garage after a wash. I thought my garage was heated to +45 F (the lowest my thermostat would go), but I think the thermostat is off and the heater has trouble keeping up - in other words it could have been that it was below freezing (I thought it could have been rust because it sat for 3-4 days). I have a 6 speed, so I was able to break it free by regulating the clutch and throttle. I would think you could do the same with the DCT.
I tried, I'm assuming the DCT has a safety feature, the car would try to move the it would go into neutral. The car feels fine now, I thought I would post the issue as I have never experienced it before
      02-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post

It looks like 6 speed >>> DCT.

Doesn't surprise me that the DCT has an auto shut off nanny.

Literally just yesterday I saw a kid push start a friend's car and then the driver stopped and let the passenger jump in the car after the owner popped the clutch to re-start it. Ahhh... old school daze when it uses was just car and driver .. instead of car and driver and vehicle nanny ..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

Parking/hand brake is activated by shoes pushing against a drum within the hub of the rear disc/rotor ie nothing to do with brake Caliper/pads.

It’ll be frozen water inside the hub that’s causing your issue. Don’t use parking brake - ie leave in gear - next time you decide to wash yr car in zero/sub zero temps !!!!

Last edited by Bee Pee; 03-01-2018 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
He claims that helped actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Don’t use parking brake - ie leave in gear
It's amazing that (according to the manual) DCT has no explicit park mode (a button or something) - the park mode is engaged automatically only(?). Thus the instrument cluster display is to be read closely unless you wish to test if it would roll. And still there's a mechanical parking brake. A spaceship with paddles?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
He claims that helped actually.

It's amazing that (according to the manual) DCT has no explicit park mode (a button or something) - the park mode is engaged automatically only(?). Thus the instrument cluster display is to be read closely unless you wish to test if it would roll. And still there's a mechanical parking brake. A spaceship with paddles?
Tested well before I commented above - switched off ignition on my DCT wo handbrake on it doesn’t move.

Also if you RTFM you would know that there’s advice on how to override DCT ‘park’ function in the event of needing to tow the car etc.

Meanwhile I’m off to a galaxy far far away in my DCT Millenium Falcon as it’s brakes work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Tested well before I commented above - switched off ignition on my DCT wo handbrake on it doesn’t move.
Of course it does not. But not because you might think you leave it in a gear as you had suggested - it's the park mode engaged automatically.

Quote:
Also if you RTFM you would know that there’s advice on how to override DCT ‘park’ function in the event of needing to tow the car etc.
Yes, I noticed that too and it only seems to make it more complicated. My point was they had taken away explicit park mode as if it were absent and provoked those "too smart" to RTFM to use the handbrake as if it were the only means to immobilize the car - not appropriate in frosty weather or even for long time application (as the brake springs are strained).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Lol, can't drive in the cold, wet and apply your brakes after in case they freeze. I have never had this problem on any other car
You are missing a key part here... when you brake, it generates heat...More than enough if not twice as much enough to boil water... so it all evaporates.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Quote:
You are missing a key part here... when you brake, it generates heat...More than enough if not twice as much enough to boil water... so it all evaporates.
I agree, I only drove 300m and parked up for approx 4hrs.