BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Purchase Advice...

05-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix

Purchase Advice...

I currently drive a BMW 435ix Grand Coupe with both M Package Options...the lease expires at the end of the year and I am now looking at replacement car options with the M2 being towards the top of the list...a few questions to start this thread please:

1. Are there any expected or planned changes to the car within the next 3 to 4 years and, if yes, what are they and when?

2. I live in Canada and enjoy the x-drive in the winter. I would appreciate feedback / information from others who live in snowy climates about their experience with the M2 in the winter.

3. What are the M2's biggest pros and cons.

TIA,

Joel
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
seanhaus
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post
I currently drive a BMW 435ix Grand Coupe with both M Package Options...the lease expires at the end of the year and I am now looking at replacement car options with the M2 being towards the top of the list...a few questions to start this thread please:

1. Are there any expected or planned changes to the car within the next 3 to 4 years and, if yes, what are they and when?
LCI is happening in the next couple of months. There is a relatively extensive thread about it on the forums.

Quote:
2. I live in Canada and enjoy the x-drive in the winter. I would appreciate feedback / information from others who live in snowy climates about their experience with the M2 in the winter.
For what it's worth, you're going from a very practical, "sporty" four wheel drive car to a pure sports-car that's chomping at the bit to be driven hard. Outside of not having a four-wheel drive system, I'd be concerned about the ride height (the M2 sits low) as well as factoring in the cost for a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. I've driven RWD cars more/less my entire life in a variety of climates while the car will be fine in a city/suburb environment in the Winter, I'd be less than confident driving it in more remote, minimally plowed environments.

Quote:
3. What are the M2's biggest pros and cons.
Availability. Some dislike the interior, but that's really more of a subjective thing than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhaus View Post
LCI is happening in the next couple of months. There is a relatively extensive thread about it on the forums.
Appreciate that information...I will most certainly read the thread...one follow up, will the LCI be included in the MY18 version?

Quote:
For what it's worth, you're going from a very practical, "sporty" four wheel drive car to a pure sports-car that's chomping at the bit to be driven hard. Outside of not having a four-wheel drive system, I'd be concerned about the ride height (the M2 sits low) as well as factoring in the cost for a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. I've driven RWD cars more/less my entire life in a variety of climates while the car will be fine in a city/suburb environment in the Winter, I'd be less than confident driving it in more remote, minimally plowed environments.
I hear you and know what you mean...I used to drive an Audi TT RS which I think is similarly a sports car that wants to be driven...it, however, had Quattro drive so was good in the snow although sometimes a snow plough.

The two sets of tires don't bother me as I have always purchased winter tires for my cars...the real concern is the RWD aspect (i.e. I used to have a MB C32 and it was horrible in the winter)!

Quote:
Availability. Some dislike the interior, but that's really more of a subjective thing than anything else.
Availability I can deal with...I will have to see one on person regarding the interior but I already expect it to be less luxurious than my 435ix with its all leather dash, HUD (which I love), etc.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

On dedicated winter tires M2 is as good or better than my previous 335x drive coupe with all seasons. Very predictable winter handling in the city and suburban area. Doubt you'd drive it in the country during snow storms.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Had an AWD car since 2010 and swore I would never go back to RWD (live in Chicago area).

Well, I'm back and damn, it is just fine. Maybe even better than fine. My previous car had 20" wheels and all seasons and kind of sucked in the snow. The M2 with the BMW winter set of Michelins is far better than dreamed.

I think Sean puts it well when he says

and I would add that the biggest difference/downside of the M2 compared to your car would be the ride - not the ride in terms of harshness, but the darn thing is firmly sprung. Drinking coffee is a challenge - just sayin

and on the upside - this thing is just so damn fun to drive. I LOVE THIS CAR. It fits me perfect (and I'm old ), it corners perfectly, it accelerates/sticks really well and it is just like what a BMW used to be like (ok with electric steering unfortunately).

And being in Canada, you can get a sunroof - however, I have NOT missed having one yet. Which is weird, cause in my 1M that's all I notice, but not once have I thought the M2 felt "dark".

You would need to get on the order list ASAP and as noted, there are new headlights and tail lights coming in June/July - plus maybe a tweak or two.

Do it. You seriously won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
pissclams
bad ***** poster _
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3, 2018 F87

My M3 turns into a very heavy and expensive sled in the Midwest winters with just a little slush/snow on the roads.
Appreciate 1
ried793.00
      05-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissclams View Post
My M3 turns into a very heavy and expensive sled in the Midwest winters with just a little slush/snow on the roads.
Hope you are not running the summer tires on it in the winter- sounds like you are.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #8
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Had an AWD car since 2010 and swore I would never go back to RWD (live in Chicago area).

Well, I'm back and damn, it is just fine. Maybe even better than fine. My previous car had 20" wheels and all seasons and kind of sucked in the snow. The M2 with the BMW winter set of Michelins is far better than dreamed.

I think Sean puts it well when he says

and I would add that the biggest difference/downside of the M2 compared to your car would be the ride - not the ride in terms of harshness, but the darn thing is firmly sprung. Drinking coffee is a challenge - just sayin

and on the upside - this thing is just so damn fun to drive. I LOVE THIS CAR. It fits me perfect (and I'm old ), it corners perfectly, it accelerates/sticks really well and it is just like what a BMW used to be like (ok with electric steering unfortunately).

And being in Canada, you can get a sunroof - however, I have NOT missed having one yet. Which is weird, cause in my 1M that's all I notice, but not once have I thought the M2 felt "dark".

You would need to get on the order list ASAP and as noted, there are new headlights and tail lights coming in June/July - plus maybe a tweak or two.

Never yet been in a cafe that didn't ride better than a limo.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
jtcsifl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X7/22 Bronco/23 EQS

As much as I really like my M2, my ideal car would have been a 4 series GC M40i or M4....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Here's my experience during our past winter in Toronto as well. It is fine, if you have a set of winter tires and drive sensibly. While it is low, it's not low enough to be plowing snow unless you have to wake up early and need to drive past some rural area. Having said that, it is NOT AWD. So you will miss that instant pickup from a stationary position. The only time I wish I had AWD was in a slushy parking lot. Had to rock myself out from my spot.

Compared to your 435, the M2 will be significantly smaller, especially the back seats if you plan on having a lot of passengers. Kids are fine, even with a booster unless you are tall. The M2 will feel more nimble and the handling will be quite a bit better than the 435. The biggest difference between the two will be noticed on a track or spirited driving. But if you don't plan on doing any of that, I'd just keep the 435 as a DD. The 435 will be more practical and more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I pretty much agree with the previous comments. For what it's worth:

1. No one knows what BMW will do 3-4 years out. As you read through this forum, you'll see people worrying if they should be waiting to be getting this new feature or that. My 2017 doesn't have the LED headlights that are supposed to be coming, but it's not a show stopper. There is always aftermarket workarounds. In the US we don't get a sunroof option, but I don't really miss it (my past three 3-series had them). Mine came with Continental tires which are fine. When they wear out, I'll pick the best choice by reading http://www.tirerack.com reviews.

2. Luckily we don't get much snow often in central PA, but I've limped along with RWD and all season run-flats on my various 3-series. If you read Roundel winter tire articles, RWD with snows will always beat AWD with all seasons so I'd invest them if Canadian winters are as bad I imagine. Fortunately my M2 is a winter/bad weather 'garage queen', as I've kept my 2012 328i as a daily driver.

3. The M2 is a blast, and I hate saying it, but if you're looking for a 'compromise' ride, possibly you should check out the M240i. I been reading this forum daily since early last year. I suggest you read through all the back articles as it answers all the various questions about buying, options, qwerks, etc.

Don't drive yourself nuts reading some of the negative comments. These are opinions and to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
On dedicated winter tires M2 is as good or better than my previous 335x drive coupe with all seasons. Very predictable winter handling in the city and suburban area. Doubt you'd drive it in the country during snow storms.
Thx, much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #13
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not an issue, I don't drink coffee!!

Quote:
Excellent!

Quote:
Planning on it..

Quote:

Thinking about waiting for the CS...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Here's my experience during our past winter in Toronto as well. It is fine, if you have a set of winter tires and drive sensibly. While it is low, it's not low enough to be plowing snow unless you have to wake up early and need to drive past some rural area. Having said that, it is NOT AWD. So you will miss that instant pickup from a stationary position. The only time I wish I had AWD was in a slushy parking lot. Had to rock myself out from my spot.

Compared to your 435, the M2 will be significantly smaller, especially the back seats if you plan on having a lot of passengers. Kids are fine, even with a booster unless you are tall. The M2 will feel more nimble and the handling will be quite a bit better than the 435. The biggest difference between the two will be noticed on a track or spirited driving. But if you don't plan on doing any of that, I'd just keep the 435 as a DD. The 435 will be more practical and more comfortable.
Good to know and much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_E90_F87 View Post

3. The M2 is a blast, and I hate saying it, but if you're looking for a 'compromise' ride, possibly you should check out the M240i. I been reading this forum daily since early last year. I suggest you read through all the back articles as it answers all the various questions about buying, options, qwerks, etc.

Don't drive yourself nuts reading some of the negative comments. These are opinions and to each his own.
Great suggestion and will do...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #16
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thinking about waiting for the CS...
That car is going to be a challenge to get - even so, I can't think of being in a more focused car (as a DD) than the regular M2. Not that I don't have a spot on the M2 CS waiting list
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Hi Joelc

1- if you're going to wait for the new fresh thing, you will have to wait till 2022. My M division sales manager tried to convince me to wait 7-9 months for the LCI but since no engine change i went and got the 2017 Mineral gray color. I don't care about new lights or new color!

2- We don't have snow winter here so can't comment on this.

3- i knew the cons before i bought it, like active blind spot detection on my wife 6 series. No lower seats position like the Porsche and it was fine with me. But there are 2 things people went over the top in criticism in this forum!

A- very stiff ride
Before i bought it, I was telling my wife that if she got pregnant i will not allow her to step inside the M2 because it's DANGEROUS due to super stiff ride i read about all the time here... Now that i drove it on every road you can think of, it's a very nice sporty manageable ride and by all means it's NOT super stiff that will discomfort your driving experience! even my wife love driving it once a week

B- bad HK stereo system.
Am not an audiophile, but with bass and treble %70 i give the stereo system 7.5/10 . Above average sound 👍

I came to a personal conclusion about why many members criticized the ride stiffness and sound system, most here have or had a super/lauxary cars with premium driving experience, like the amazing Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control or other BMW M car adaptive suspension. High-end sound system and carbon fiber alcantara everywhere inside.....and since NONE of these members had to test drive an M2, they will get shocked about how the M2 is NOT A PREMIUM SPORT CAR they thought it was 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8 View Post
1- if you're going to wait for the new fresh thing, you will have to wait till 2022. My M division sales manager tried to convince me to wait 7-9 months for the LCI but since no engine change i went and got the 2017 Mineral gray color. I don't care about new lights or new color!
I am going to wait for the 2018 because I am in immediate hurry in that the lease on my 2015 435ix ends in January 2018 so sense in rushing to get a car now..I do, that said, want to order a car in the coming months because my past experience is that it takes a while for them to get built an arrive.

Quote:
3- i knew the cons before i bought it, like active blind spot detection on my wife 6 series. No lower seats position like the Porsche and it was fine with me. But there are 2 things people went over the top in criticism in this forum!
I am going to arrange and see and drive one in real life! I know that tge M2 wont have some of things that I have on my current (or, even, previous) BMW like leather dash, HUD, etc. but I think I will be fine with all of that. Time to drive it in real life to make a decision!

Quote:
A- very stiff ride
Before i bought it, I was telling my wife that if she got pregnant i will not allow her to step inside the M2 because it's DANGEROUS due to super stiff ride i read about all the time here... Now that i drove it on every road you can think of, it's a very nice sporty manageable ride and by all means it's NOT super stiff that will discomfort your driving experience! even my wife love driving it once a week
I am nor worried about this given that I use to have an Audi TT RS and drove it on the stiffest suspension setting.

Quote:
B- bad HK stereo system.
Am not an audiophile, but with bass and treble %70 i give the stereo system 7.5/10 . Above average sound 👍
I do not buy a car to do critical music listening...I have a home and a stereo to do that...that said, I appreciate the warning and will make sure to give it a listen!

Quote:
I came to a personal conclusion about why many members criticized the ride stiffness and sound system, most here have or had a super/lauxary cars with premium driving experience, like the amazing Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control or other BMW M car adaptive suspension. High-end sound system and carbon fiber alcantara everywhere inside.....and since NONE of these members had to test drive an M2, they will get shocked about how the M2 is NOT A PREMIUM SPORT CAR they thought it was 😂
Sounds fair!

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #19
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ahhh, I know this may not be place to do so because there either may be (or, is) a BMW bias but has driven and compared both the M2 and the Audi TT RS? I would be interested in feedback on this as I used to own an Audi TT RS and quite enjoyed it although I prefer the BMW feel which is why I went back to BMW.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #20
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Others have more or less tackled the other questions, but below is a photo of my M2 this winter here in NB. It was fine to drive provided you are sensible and have some extra weight in the trunk. This was the worst snowfall I drove it through, we got something like 25cm while I was at work. I wouldn't recommend it because traction was lacking with snow this deep, but it made it just fine.

I'm running the BMW M2 winter set, 18" rims, Michelin Alpin4's.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa702.00
      05-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #21
Joelc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Others have more or less tackled the other questions, but below is a photo of my M2 this winter here in NB. It was fine to drive provided you are sensible and have some extra weight in the trunk. This was the worst snowfall I drove it through, we got something like 25cm while I was at work. I wouldn't recommend it because traction was lacking with snow this deep, but it made it just fine.

I'm running the BMW M2 winter set, 18" rims, Michelin Alpin4's.
Appreciate the response and yes, the east cost of Canada had a very snowy winter...one follow up, how much weight and what did you put in the trunk to assist with winter traction?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Appreciate the response and yes, the east cost of Canada had a very snowy winter...one follow up, how much weight and what did you put in the trunk to assist with winter traction?
I have cats, so I kept two 50lb Costco boxes of cat litter, one on each side of the trunk. If the weather was sunny and roads were dry I'd leave them at home, but if it was icy or snowy I'd put them in.

Plus if you lose traction, the cat litter works wonders in a pinch.
Appreciate 1
ried793.00