BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > You guys ever figure up exactly what you've got in your car?

01-28-2024, 04:47 PM   #23
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I think if someone is willing to give you the $90k you're into this car, you'd be silly not to take it. While I love my M2C, at that price point I'd rather be in 6 cyl Cayman or a number of other cars, but you do you.
I never understand these comments. Oh for $X, I'd rather have such and such Porsche.

I read it as, instead of a high-end BMW, I'd rather have a low end (least expensive) Porsche.
Appreciate 5
///MPhatic13862.50
philth198.50
///M TOWN16539.00
dtmurf481.50
      01-28-2024, 05:51 PM   #24
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
A lot of motifs in this thread that I would consider to be paradoxical enthusiast scenarios, most of which I've experienced. I went from an M3 to an X3M thinking, why not enjoy an M car daily and have it be the "do it all" vehicle? Sounds nice on paper, but it just isn't the same. I had no connection to the car at all, it became a numb daily appliance. Because of the frequency of being driven, it just became normal, not something I looked forward to driving on the weekends.

And that's the important thing to remember as an enthusiast...part of what makes each drive special is the scarcity in which those moments happen! So while it may seen like the car is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, it makes each rare drive that much more special. M SUVs are awesome, but it cannot take the place of or replicate that.
I think you've just nailed it perfectly. I guess I just have a weird knocking in the back of my head thinking; don't save her (the M2) for the next man, hit it hard while you can. I do love my RDX, it's so easy to drive, to get in and out of, it's super reliable, almost maintenance free (got 135K out of the brakes), and old enough to where I'm not bothered by crap hitting it on the interstate (or driving it in rain/snow). I think I'm just going to make it a point to drive the M2 more on those days where I can really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I never understand these comments. Oh for $X, I'd rather have such and such Porsche.

I read it as, instead of a high-end BMW, I'd rather have a low end (least expensive) Porsche.
I'm the same. I already have my favorite car for $90K. No way I'd swap for a Porsche anything, especially at $90K and already owning an Exige, but to each their own. As I understand it, many in the BMW M world are really wanting a Porsche and just using BMW as a stepping stone. I don't see it that way at all. The M2/M3/M4 is unlike anything Porsche offers.
Appreciate 3
philth198.50
omasou2088.00
dtmurf481.50
      01-28-2024, 09:42 PM   #25
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
But then with an X5M I'm not sure I have a need for the M2.
Blasphemy!
Appreciate 1
philth198.50
      01-28-2024, 09:47 PM   #26
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
A lot of motifs in this thread that I would consider to be paradoxical enthusiast scenarios, most of which I've experienced. I went from an M3 to an X3M thinking, why not enjoy an M car daily and have it be the "do it all" vehicle? Sounds nice on paper, but it just isn't the same. I had no connection to the car at all, it became a numb daily appliance. Because of the frequency of being driven, it just became normal, not something I looked forward to driving on the weekends.

And that's the important thing to remember as an enthusiast...part of what makes each drive special is the scarcity in which those moments happen! So while it may seen like the car is just sitting in the garage collecting dust, it makes each rare drive that much more special. M SUVs are awesome, but it cannot take the place of or replicate that.
Excellent perspective.
Appreciate 2
philth198.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      01-29-2024, 01:12 PM   #27
SchnellerM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2c, s54E30, Z3MCoupe,

Group,

When I was much younger, I was in a group of car guys chatting and maybe even complaining about how much our car hobby costs.

An "old guy" poked his nose into the conversation "Haven't you young fellas learned anything?" "If it flies, drives, fornicates or floats, it's gonna cost you money - and even more if you really like it!"

Point being, the majority of car's are not an investment portfolio.
So, IMHO, if what you drive and tinker with brings a smile to your face and doesn't put you in the poor house, then it's likely worth it.
Appreciate 8
philth198.50
DanG10660.50
///MPhatic13862.50
Stylin.M2270.00
TSLM40.50
inTgr8r2431.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      01-30-2024, 02:42 PM   #28
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

As much as I love my M2 it is numb compared to even the lowest end Porsche. So I totally get this comment but at the same time they are apples to oranges, M2s are easy to live with in all aspects, true jack of all trades but master of none. Porsches are just different.

And to answer the original question, never add up what you have into the cars. As long as you're still smiling when you turn the car on, it's worth it. The only time I have added things up with modded car is at the end when it's time to sell it, but by that time it's too late to get upset anyways.
Appreciate 1
Stylin.M2270.00
      01-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #29
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
As much as I love my M2 it is numb compared to even the lowest end Porsche. So I totally get this comment but at the same time they are apples to oranges, M2s are easy to live with in all aspects, true jack of all trades but master of none. Porsches are just different.
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but Porsche's have never done anything for me. Either they are bland because of their precision (Boxter, Cayman) or they're too fast to really enjoy on the street (911). I've never driven one that has been playful, they always either make me want to quit driving or be careful as hell. To each their own I guess.

Quote:
And to answer the original question, never add up what you have into the cars. As long as you're still smiling when you turn the car on, it's worth it. The only time I have added things up with modded car is at the end when it's time to sell it, but by that time it's too late to get upset anyways.
I'm not upset about having $90K in the car, it just looks like a lot of money when totaled up. Wheels/tires/brakes/suspension is most of it, and those could be removed and sold separately.

The thing I find weird with cars, like with life, is that it's the journey that's important, not the destination. So many guys sell their pride and joy because there is nothing left to do, and it was the doing that they loved, not so much being done and enjoying the finished product. I have nothing left except seats that I'll never have, so I guess I'm feeling that "finished" vibe a bit too.
Appreciate 3
DanG10660.50
philth198.50
Stylin.M2270.00
      01-30-2024, 04:46 PM   #30
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but Porsche's have never done anything for me. Either they are bland because of their precision (Boxter, Cayman) or they're too fast to really enjoy on the street (911). I've never driven one that has been playful, they always either make me want to quit driving or be careful as hell. To each their own I guess.

I'm not upset about having $90K in the car, it just looks like a lot of money when totaled up. Wheels/tires/brakes/suspension is most of it, and those could be removed and sold separately.

The thing I find weird with cars, like with life, is that it's the journey that's important, not the destination. So many guys sell their pride and joy because there is nothing left to do, and it was the doing that they loved, not so much being done and enjoying the finished product. I have nothing left except seats that I'll never have, so I guess I'm feeling that "finished" vibe a bit too.
I am with you. I have never understood the Porsche craze. I also have driven quite a few and don’t feel the attachment that an M car has (or today I might say had given the G series). Sad to say but my M2 may be the last car I own.
      01-30-2024, 05:37 PM   #31
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

///MPhatic Dibs on whatever you’re parting with!!

Just kidding! LOL
*cough*but not kidding*cough*
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:40 PM   #32
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
True, to each his or her own, that's what makes all these unnecessary cars fun. You can line up a BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Camarao and they could have the exact same time around a track but for different people there is a clear winner.

Quote:
Agree here 100%. Not just the journey with the car but friends. I had more fun in my hot garage working on old cars with friends and then I moved and have a nicer setup but it's just not the same and I get hit with the "I'm done" moments.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
Stylin.M2270.00
      01-30-2024, 08:35 PM   #33
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I kid you not, when I saw those pictures I was like O M G.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
qnet681.50
      01-30-2024, 08:55 PM   #34
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My take on the whole Porsche vs BMW thing: I’ve had a corvette Z06, s2000, cayman S… and now my M2. The M2 is a way better street car than a naturally aspirated Cayman. The M2 is more exciting with the turbo and has more character with its snarles, pops, and LSD wheel slip. Looks better too. The Cayman on the track is unmatched compared to the M2. Porsche directness of the steering and brakes, and response of the engine planting the rear on corner exit is excellent. Every corner is so rewarding, and straightline you have the flat 6 howl in your left ear. I can even feel this from the passenger seat when I instruct students with Porsches. In my head, the BMW is a more fun street car, where the Porsche is a more rewarding track car. Consider that both cars I owned were in the low $40k range. Porsche specifically was a 987.2 S manual.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-31-2024, 07:15 AM   #35
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
My take on the whole Porsche vs BMW thing: I’ve had a corvette Z06, s2000, cayman S… and now my M2. The M2 is a way better street car than a naturally aspirated Cayman. The M2 is more exciting with the turbo and has more character with its snarles, pops, and LSD wheel slip. Looks better too. The Cayman on the track is unmatched compared to the M2. Porsche directness of the steering and brakes, and response of the engine planting the rear on corner exit is excellent. Every corner is so rewarding, and straightline you have the flat 6 howl in your left ear. I can even feel this from the passenger seat when I instruct students with Porsches. In my head, the BMW is a more fun street car, where the Porsche is a more rewarding track car. Consider that both cars I owned were in the low $40k range. Porsche specifically was a 987.2 S manual.
I have been on many mountain routes with Porsches, and they never impressed me. One day I will try to go first to see if they can keep up.

An m2c with +- 30k $ on mods is a very serious device and has nothing to envy Porsches.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2431.50
      01-31-2024, 08:09 AM   #36
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
I have been on many mountain routes with Porsches, and they never impressed me. One day I will try to go first to see if they can keep up.

An m2c with +- 30k $ on mods is a very serious device and has nothing to envy Porsches.
M2C + $30K or a 997.2 S + $30K... both would be pretty wicked track cars.
997.2S with a blower, suspension, seats, harnesses, roll bar, aero, and some big wheels and tires. Woof.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:21 AM   #37
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
///MPhatic Dibs on whatever you’re parting with!!

Just kidding! LOL
*cough*but not kidding*cough*
Not parting with anything lol. I was just saying that the offer I have probably won't last, and in that instance I'd more than probably need to sell the expensive bits separately to recoup the bulk of the money.

Quote:
You can line up a BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Camarao and they could have the exact same time around a track but for different people there is a clear winner.
Perfectly said.

Quote:
Agree here 100%. Not just the journey with the car but friends. I had more fun in my hot garage working on old cars with friends and then I moved and have a nicer setup but it's just not the same and I get hit with the "I'm done" moments.
Strange how that works isn't it? It's like we're always trying to get to a different place while missing where we are at. I think the worst part is figuring that out, but not being able to fully enjoy something until it's a memory. I think it's part of what it means to be human; the want (on some level) is more important than the thing.

Quote:
I kid you not, when I saw those pictures I was like O M G.
Thanks!

Quote:
The M2 is a way better street car than a naturally aspirated Cayman. The M2 is more exciting with the turbo and has more character with its snarles, pops, and LSD wheel slip. Looks better too. The Cayman on the track is unmatched compared to the M2. Porsche directness of the steering and brakes, and response of the engine planting the rear on corner exit is excellent. Every corner is so rewarding, and straightline you have the flat 6 howl in your left ear. In my head, the BMW is a more fun street car, where the Porsche is a more rewarding track car.
I don't track my cars, but I've read this over and over. Precision doesn't always equal fun.
Appreciate 1
philth198.50
      01-31-2024, 08:34 AM   #38
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr9152 View Post
I was coming out of a 718 GT4 and a 991 Carrera 4S before that and was considering a 991 Carrera S/GTS, GT3, C8, AMG GTS, or ZL1 1LE. A guy that was looking at my GT4 suggested a M2C. I hadn't really ever paid them much attention because I thought they were a little slow on track. The guy that suggested had a GT4 and a M2C and said he liked the M2C better. Went on line that night and a manual M2C had just been traded in that day. Test drove it the next morning and bought. Really didn't know anything about it. It's much quicker on track than I expected, and even set a new PB at 1 track. Really enjoy it much more than the GT4.
CC
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:23 PM   #39
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
M2C + $30K or a 997.2 S + $30K... both would be pretty wicked track cars.
997.2S with a blower, suspension, seats, harnesses, roll bar, aero, and some big wheels and tires. Woof.
The m2c with the 30k in mods on twisty roads would have no rival, I would need to try it against a GT4 RS, hope to try it soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:00 PM   #40
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

First in the spirit of this thread - one should never, never total up what they have in a car. And if you do for some insane reason do this never, ever put it down in writing…. PSA from someone with a modding problem…

Now since this has turned into a bit of an F87 vs Porsche debate - will start out with noting the obvious that I am a pretty big fan of the F87 platform (having 4 I believe shows the seriousness of my issues). Have all variants covered including a CS that I just picked up with 26 miles on it… The platform is amazing and has more utility than just about any platform I can think of. Not many cars have the potential the F8x platform has and still easily move around 4 people and be a daily driver (include those other two F80 because they can have the performance although not quite as fun). 30k into these cars puts them into the territory of some really fast cars. More than that and you just keep climbing the stupid fast car ladder.

I do agree that dollar for dollar the F87 has a lot more to offer than any Porsche offering (and any other make for that matter). I will however disagree that you cannot find anything that will stir the would like an F87 can in the Pcar world - you’re just going to pay a premium for it. A well sorted GT variant can be absolutely sublime both in performance and experience. Just like with the F87 they need a little love to get them there out of factory. A proper alignment alone makes a huge difference on these cars and yes afterwards they really can turn. And if you put money into them they can become something truly special. Been fortunate to have experienced many awesome cars including a couple of very special M2s but nothing has moved me like my 991.2 GT3 RS with a DeMan 4.5L stroker, full iPE exhaust, AP brakes, and full aero. And now that my Nitron electron R3 kit for it is finally about here (c’mon customs) it’s truly going to be beastie. Do not have to go RS level to get there (although it helps) as with the right mods just about any of the GT variants can be pretty magical. I would without a doubt take this Pcar over any M2. This includes my no mile CS, well sorted OG, or either of the comps that we have put together. And the latest comp we have coming online in March I feel is something pretty special but still wouldn’t give it a moment’s hesitation taking the Pcar.

Back to the main topic - how much spent on my M2… way to f’en much!
Appreciate 4
philth198.50
///MPhatic13862.50
dtmurf481.50
      01-31-2024, 08:27 PM   #41
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

It's interesting that the make overwhelmingly compared/shopped against the M2 on this board is a Porsche, not Audi. It's also interesting to me that all 3 makes offer vastly different driving experiences.
Appreciate 2
dtmurf481.50
jefe2000739.50
      01-31-2024, 08:31 PM   #42
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
First in the spirit of this thread - one should never, never total up what they have in a car. And if you do for some insane reason do this never, ever put it down in writing…. PSA from someone with a modding problem….....

Especially when you share computer resources with the wife!!!!
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 03:05 PM   #43
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

got mine for 62k last year and added on the MP front lip, diffuser, and PS4S tires. so 64-65k all in i guess.

Car was stickered up to $79k by the first owner with carbon m performance stuff,763m, and MPE.
Attached Images

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 4
DanG10660.50
///MPhatic13862.50
qnet681.50
      02-01-2024, 03:32 PM   #44
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep