BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Clunk from real diff?

04-25-2024, 07:08 AM   #23
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Super old thread I’m bumping but I wonder if this is what I’m hearing? Your description / image describes what I hear.

Sadly all previous videos are no longer working so I can’t compare. Here’s mine:

https://youtube.com/shorts/S3Dby5dJs...h2KmXFa2-RI1km

I’ve had my car for almost 4 years and > 30k miles and this only began happening yesterday after I took it into the dealer for a rear tire change and alignment.

I don’t remember it happening before but at the same time I’m not sure how a tire change could have triggered it especially if it really is related to rear diff….

I’m supposed to leave on a ~5000 mile road trip across the country next Friday 5/3 and ideally this will have stopped by then…

As you can see in the video it’s a bit of a small but audible clank that happens under initial load / brisk acceleration. Of course most frequently occurs from a stand-still but as shown in the video it can happen when you’re already moving and you apply sudden load / acceleration.
Thankfully, I still have not heard the sound on the M2C but then again I don't drive to work anymore nor do I drive the car daily, ~14K.

I sort of heard the sound. Were your windows open? It's easily audible with the windows closed and sounds like metal slapping metal.

As for the tires, my guess, is better grip = more torque == sound.

Has anyone ruled out that the sound is just the active diff and not something loose?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 11:13 AM   #24
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Windows closed in my clip. Hard for me to guess the material but I agree it doesn't sound like plastic/interior stuff. I checked the trunk to see if there was a loose soda can or something.

I'm going into the dealer today to have a foreman take a listen. Maybe he will recognize it as being something specific but I don't have my hopes up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 04:52 PM   #25
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay my issue ended up being identified as being caused by loose and missing bolts on the center plate of my after market midpipe (AA EL).

The shop foreman was nice enough to replace the bolts and fix it despite pretty clearly being unrelated to the work they did.

Pictures of what I’m talking about attached. 2 bolts missing from red side and loose bolts on blue side. Interestingly the instructions don’t mention a specific torque or anything. I’m not sure why they fell off. It was installed 3 years ago by an Indy shop… 🤷‍♂️
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jefe2000749.50
      04-25-2024, 05:00 PM   #26
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Can confirm the noise no longer occurs. But now in the back of my mind I’m wondering if the plate is not to spec as being 0.5” away from the pipes. The shop foreman just tightened and replaced missing bolts but didn’t have the midpipe instructions (aftermarket midpipe being serviced impromptu at the dealer … lol)
Appreciate 0