BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Well that was a mistake... I just drove an M3

12-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

After driving the M3/M4 in anger (back to back with the M2 too) at the 1-day M School, I had the completely different experience...M2 is a way better and more fun car to drive...

Trunk space? Rear seats? lol...ever had a Porsche?
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      12-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #24
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Jersey View Post
funny how the OP got everyone going and then did a 180
Just saw that
I definitely didn’t see that coming.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #25
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

All I know is my wife says my M2 is ‘cute’. She didn’t say that about the m3 or m4. I’m not sure how to take that....
Appreciate 3
Ymalo22113.00
D CHOI580.00
      12-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
It is quite possible I bought the wrong car - however, let's remember, a new M3 was not possible when I got the M2. They weren't making the car then and I would have had to wait until they re-started production again - even then I wanted the tanzanate blue - which they took out as well until recently.

And yes, in thinking about this, the M3 is a luxury car compared to the M3 - I just didn't think it was THAT different.

Of course now I need to figure out if I should make a deal on the mineral white one with CF roof (looks so good) or order a Tanzanite Blue and deal with trading in the M2 in March/April.

Or keep the M2... which honestly is an incredible car.
LOL. Since i know you have a mint low mileage 1M in the garage ... I can relate.

The M2 is a great car but not as special as the 1M. The M4 is cool, but is a really HUGE coupe. The M3 has 4 doors which makes it a million times more practical than a 1M or an M2 , of which you have both!

Next , you feel the M2 will begin to tank in value possibly so making a jump at the time when values are softening makes perfect sense also.

However, as a 17 year former owner of an E30 M3, and a current 6-7 year 1M owner , I relate the current engine change to the 98-99 vs the 01-02 M roadster and coupe. Sure the S52 was the motor to have , but they are all holding their values quite well. That's because the M roadster was a unique car that people are rabid about. The same is true of the M2 regardless of what motor.

There are just 5-7 thousand M2 in the US .. at a time when BMW seems near the end of the making sports cars .. and in truth the entire 2 series lineup is awesome. I'm sorry but I think in 15 years these cars will be sought for more than the E46 is right now. An F88 M2 sedan would have kicked ass but i digress.

Keep the 1M. Sell the M2. But Drive if through the winter ( unless you have another potential daily ). Go for the M3. The practicality is awesome, and you get more utility from not having two coupes. Mineral white is awesome but I would get Tanzanite, it's a seriously proper blue. Also Do European delivery, because on the plus side you will have to trade the M2 in sooner, and you can take a helluva vacation in the spring.
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      12-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
jaykoolzboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 GT2

Driving dynamics are really subjective, I will take M2 over regular M4 10/10 in term of driving pleasure.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #28
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
P.S. You can't turn the rev-match off in any M2 mode?? I'm already annoyed that rev-matching is not independent of any other modes on the M3/4 (e.g., it doesn't have its own switch), but to not be able to have a mode where it is off is nuts!

P.P.S. I see you have a 1M, among my favorite cars that I have driven extensively. Unless you bought the M2 to keep miles off the 1M (which I would understand), the M3 may better complement your stable.
Can only shut off the Rev Match by disabling everything. I was so pleasantly surprised that it is so much easier in the M3 and you don't have to risk your life. That said, the Rev match seems to be much less intrusive in the M3, even in comfort.

And yes, people see both the 1M and M2 and say "why do you have two of the same cars?". The fact is, I'm afraid to drive the 1M and I'm afraid to sell it. It is like a black widow - I just stay away from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
LOL. Since i know you have a mint low mileage 1M in the garage ... I can relate.

The M2 is a great car but not as special as the 1M. The M4 is cool, but is a really HUGE coupe. The M3 has 4 doors which makes it a million times more practical than a 1M or an M2 , of which you have both!

Next , you feel the M2 will begin to tank in value possibly so making a jump at the time when values are softening makes perfect sense also.

However, as a 17 year former owner of an E30 M3, and a current 6-7 year 1M owner , I relate the current engine change to the 98-99 vs the 01-02 M roadster and coupe. Sure the S52 was the motor to have , but they are all holding their values quite well. That's because the M roadster was a unique car that people are rabid about. The same is true of the M2 regardless of what motor.

There are just 5-7 thousand M2 in the US .. at a time when BMW seems near the end of the making sports cars .. and in truth the entire 2 series lineup is awesome. I'm sorry but I think in 15 years these cars will be sought for more than the E46 is right now. An F88 M2 sedan would have kicked ass but i digress.

Keep the 1M. Sell the M2. But Drive if through the winter ( unless you have another potential daily ). Go for the M3. The practicality is awesome, and you get more utility from not having two coupes. Mineral white is awesome but I would get Tanzanite, it's a seriously proper blue. Also Do European delivery, because on the plus side you will have to trade the M2 in sooner, and you can take a helluva vacation in the spring.
I think that is my concern. Today, I think I can get $50K for the M2, in April when my Tanzanite M3 is produced and delivered... it might be $40K. Is getting the car I want (which is already $80K) worth another $10K? Can't decide - however, you and @kevinM have helped me figure out the core issue I have - and that is, I own two 2-door cars. #dumbass. But then again, I didn't even look at the M3 since they were not available last year at this time.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #29
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I understand the argument of having two very similar cars (1M and M2)... but if that smaller sports coupe is the car style that hits all the right buttons, why would I NOT want both? We all know they are similar but different in great ways.

The practicality of the M3 is undeniable if $$ is no big deal - but too many people claim they are boring. That's a lot of money for more luxury/space and similar performance to the M2. I'd claim it's a waste of money if it doesn't feel fun. If it does, great, you're set!

I would rather DD an old E46/E39 wagon or E46 ZHP and load up on the M cars (1M, M2, E46M, E36M, M coupe) for every other day I don't need to haul people/things. At the end of the day, almost every M car is a fantastic DD.

Drive the 1M! You only live once. This is a great problem to have!
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #30
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
P.S. You can't turn the rev-match off in any M2 mode?? I'm already annoyed that rev-matching is not independent of any other modes on the M3/4 (e.g., it doesn't have its own switch), but to not be able to have a mode where it is off is nuts!

P.P.S. I see you have a 1M, among my favorite cars that I have driven extensively. Unless you bought the M2 to keep miles off the 1M (which I would understand), the M3 may better complement your stable.
Can only shut off the Rev Match by disabling everything. I was so pleasantly surprised that it is so much easier in the M3 and you don't have to risk your life. That said, the Rev match seems to be much less intrusive in the M3, even in comfort.

And yes, people see both the 1M and M2 and say "why do you have two of the same cars?". The fact is, I'm afraid to drive the 1M and I'm afraid to sell it. It is like a black widow - I just stay away from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

I think that is my concern. Today, I think I can get $50K for the M2, in April when my Tanzanite M3 is produced and delivered... it might be $40K. Is getting the car I want (which is already $80K) worth another $10K? Can't decide - however, you and @kevinM have helped me figure out the core issue I have - and that is, I own two 2-door cars. #dumbass. But then again, I didn't even look at the M3 since they were not available last year at this time.
Are you planning to get comp pack M3?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #31
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

To the OP.
As an owner of zcp M3 and 1M I can say I am very happy with both. I had a highly tuned m235 prior so I am very familiar with the n55 and in fact it was definitely more powerful then the stock M2. My experience with the M2 has only been on the track where I found it the most enjoyable of all the modern M cars. That being said the M3 is a great DD and my need for 4 doors at this stage trumps most things. As you are aware the M2 and 1M share some qualities but differ in others. This certainly is the case with the M3 and M2. The quality is a step up and the s55 engine is excellent especially when kept reving high. On the road with regular DD not so much. I have thought about dumping my M3 and going with a n55 M2 in the next two years or so but then I take the 1M out and for me the M2 is not different enough from the 1M driving experience. I rather get a 350gt or something totally different. I do appreciate your comments at the start of this thread and hope you go and enjoy the 1M more. Unless you are regularly on a track I would greatly consider the M3 as a DD and leave the 1M in the garage for the weekend. Just my 2 cents

BTW people always knock the M3 sound and I think most of their opinions are based on the original exhaust before the sport exhaust came out. With a little work the exhaust on an M3/M4 can sound very good. For me it was the x-pipe by Dinan. Just the right mix to have great sound while maintaining it as a DD and not pissing off the neighbors to much.
Appreciate 2
doug_9992538.50
      12-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #32
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It looks to me OP bought the wrong car to begin with. Comparing m2 to m4 on practicality and road compliance. Plus a favor of m4 exhaust sounding over m2.

A side note. Like GTS, CSL should be almost double the price of base version, a 100-110k car for sure if it ever gets made.
Yea, I'd hate to see him make the same mistake twice by buying a M3 then taking a Toyota Avalon out after. He may love the extra space and supple ride even more than the m3
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #33
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
The M2 got on my nerves over the weekend. The suspension, the space, the lack of a 3rd seat in back...

So I just drove a M3.

Uh... wow...
First off, the thing I hate the MOST about the M2 - the Rev match seems to be much less intrusive and you can turn it off by putting the throttle into sport plus - I also loved that I can/could individually adjust suspension, steering and throttle.

The suspension was also much more compliant and I loved the steering in sport plus (like BMWs of old).

And the sound - ok, the sound, first off, just like the M2, it is fake, but damn, I think I might have preferred it? A low rumble that does not exist in the M2.

And yes, the space, trunk so much bigger, and yes, 4 doors and a rear seat that you can get in and out of.

Ugh... I wish I had not driven that thing.
I had the opposite experience. Before I got the "overhyped" M2, I was almost certain I'd walk out of the dealership with an Austin Yellow M3, but I just hated it. Found the steering to be sloppy, suspension settings pointless, found the car way too big (bigger than my E39!) and the noise was headache inducing. And I'm not exaggerating, I got out of the demo car with a headache. Something was reverberating near the roof and it was awful. And the noise itself was terrible. Didn't like the way the S55 built power; but then again I was looking for a street car and didn't care about high-rpm power (our local track closed down).

So YMMV. Seriously. I think personal taste makes a big difference here.

BTW for much, much less than the price difference between the M2 and M3 you can have a far superior suspension setup to any BMW M car from the factory by going with something from KW or Ohlins.
      12-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #34
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT, '15 F10 M5

Quote:
I haven't done this (yet), but it appears that rev matching alone can be permanently disabled without major safety consequences, via Bimmercode app:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1418405

Back then I test drove both F8X M3/4 --a luxury I didn't have when ordering the M2; there wasn't even one for me just to look at in person. I walked away not wanting either F8X --personal choice on perceived driving dynamics.

For most purposes of a 4-door sport/performance sedan, to me, the '18 M550i xDrive is a much better overall utilitarian AND performance proposition. At about the same price. And the engine sounds glorious.

May you and your beloved ones enjoy a wonderful / meaningful Christmas / Holiday celebration.

Last edited by Fangi0; 12-25-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #35
Fangi0
El Chueco
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT, '15 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoolzboy View Post
Driving dynamics are really subjective, I will take M2 over regular M4 10/10 in term of driving pleasure.
^^ this.
      12-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #36
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
The M2 got on my nerves over the weekend. The suspension, the space, the lack of a 3rd seat in back...

So I just drove a M3.

Uh... wow...
First off, the thing I hate the MOST about the M2 - the Rev match seems to be much less intrusive and you can turn it off by putting the throttle into sport plus - I also loved that I can/could individually adjust suspension, steering and throttle.

The suspension was also much more compliant and I loved the steering in sport plus (like BMWs of old).

And the sound - ok, the sound, first off, just like the M2, it is fake, but damn, I think I might have preferred it? A low rumble that does not exist in the M2.

And yes, the space, trunk so much bigger, and yes, 4 doors and a rear seat that you can get in and out of.

Not for nothing my friend, please take it to the M3 board. This side of the house is for M2 enthusiasts. I don't mean to offend, but I just don't want to hear it. Thank you.
Attached Images

12-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #37
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Oh yeah, well I just drove a Ferrari F12 and now my M2 feels like a piece of crap....poor poor pitiful me!
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #38
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Well, this may be the first time I've heard somebody say he preferred the sound of an M3 over an M2. To me, the S55 sounds like raspy bolts rattling around in a tin can.

There are reasons to prefer the M3, I suppose, but I wouldn't even think of sound as one of them.

And I'd code out ASD on either one of them.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #39
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Had a Porsche turbo. M3/4 for $80-90k? Not worth it, much better options.
M2 for $55k, great value.
Appreciate 4
      12-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #40
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Price aside.. even if they were all priced the same and I was basing my decision purely on driving experience I would pick the M2 every time.

I did a M Track day at Homestead and drove the M3 and the M2 back to back on the full circuit and then an M4 on the Autocross layout and the M2 felt more predictable and nimble. M3 and M4 you could feel the weight difference and on the edge pushing it was even more noticeable.

Size and space is not an issue for me.. that's why I daily a 135i.

Like others said, OP I think you bought the wrong car right off the bat.

And although sound preference is highly subjective I have yet to have heard an N55 sound as good as my N55 with my exhaust setup.
      12-24-2017, 12:08 PM   #41
M2BSM17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

So I just drove a M3.

Uh... wow...

I drove the M2/M3/M4 at the one day M-school. I also loved the M3 (was already an M2 owner). The M3 I drove had the competition package. I liked the power and felt the handling was just as good as the M2. I still prefer the sound in the M2, but had no problem with the M3 sound. I had a 335i prior to my M2, and wanted something smaller and sportier, so the M2 was a great option. M4 was just too big, and didn't want another 4 door car. Initially, I kept both, but eventually sold the 335i because I felt bad having two manual BMWs, neither of which my wife could drive. Also, I have 2 small kids in car seats, so needed something a little bigger. I got a subaru forester for my daily commute and enjoy the M2 on weekends and occasionally on the track. Now that I daily a forester, I have even more appreciation for the M2. I am blown away every time I drive it. It's miles ahead of the 335i I had. The value of the M2 is hard to beat. Even after the M-school experience, I don't think I could justify another 30k (at least) for a competition M3 over the M2. When I'm ready to spend close to 100k, I'll be getting a 911. We all get so spoiled driving BMWs. I can't understand people hating on the M2... drive an underpowered SUV with a CVT daily and then tell me how the M2 has a crappy interior and isn't a real M car. The M2 is amazing and I'm keeping this thing forever.
Appreciate 7
      12-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #42
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Not for nothing my friend, please take it to the M3 board. This side of the house is for M2 enthusiasts. I don't mean to offend, but I just don't want to hear it. Thank you.
lol

So don't click on the thread?
Appreciate 2
doug_9992538.50
McGary911467.00
      12-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #43
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Oh yeah, well I just drove a Ferrari F12 and now my M2 feels like a piece of crap....poor poor pitiful me!
That is just WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #44
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Are you planning to get comp pack M3?
Yes - but with 19" wheels (the same wheels as the M2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangi0 View Post
I haven't done this (yet), but it appears that rev matching alone can be permanently disabled without major safety consequences, via Bimmercode app:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1418405
Yea, there are a couple of things that I don't love about doing that - the two buttons start, the anti-stall going away (at least until I teach my daughter how to drive stick), and I think one more thing. Still, it is at least an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Your massive signature offends every time you post. Fills up the entire screen - do ya take two spots when you park?

And on a more serious note thanks to the others for the feedback. The M2 is a perfect scalpel when you want to seriously drive. What I'm challenged with is, how often I do that vs. how often I just drive.

And as for an update... the interior with the black merino leather (on the Mineral white one I'm looking at), is really dark. I've commented numerous times that I don't really miss the sunroof in the M2 - I think that is because the Dakota leather is lighter than the Merino. And as a reminder, I live in the north, where sunshine is rare and a dark interior is depressing

Long story short, I will drive it again this week and report back. Right now, sort of leaning towards sticking with the M2.
Appreciate 0