BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Competition EU Delivery

11-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

M2 Competition EU Delivery

I was hopping I can do a Euro delivery on the coming M2 Competition this summer. The 2 dealers around me said they don't do Euro Delivery on an M car. They said they are not willing to take the MSRP discount on Euro Delivery as that count toward their allocations and they can sell these cars at MSRP if not more so they are not willing to take a hit on those sales. Is that true? anyone planning on a Euro Delivery M2 Competition? I want to hear what others have been told by the dealers around them. Thanks
Appreciate 1
COChris888.50
      11-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
I was hopping I can do a Euro delivery on the coming M2 Competition this summer. The 2 dealers around me said they don't do Euro Delivery on an M car. They said they are not willing to take the MSRP discount on Euro Delivery as that count toward their allocations and they can sell these cars at MSRP if not more so they are not willing to take a hit on those sales. Is that true? anyone planning on a Euro Delivery M2 Competition? I want to hear what others have been told by the dealers around them. Thanks
Judging by numerous posts on the Bimmerpost forums, many M-Cars have been sold by ED (erectile dysfunction delivery) :-)

There may be some advertising value to a dealer in having an unsold M2 on the sales floor, that can't be ruled out, however the supply-demand curves for the M2 appear to be meeting now, and your dealer might not have the right attitude in this current sales environment.

I remember when the 2015 STi came out, the dealers were all jacking the prices up with market adjustments and the cars were just sitting on their lots. Finally someone like me showed up with the money to buy one, and after weeks sitting on the lot they were just delighted to move the damn things, at whatever price. When I showed up at the Subaru dealer looking at that car, there was no way those salesmen or the F&I guy were going to let me walk off their lot without having bought that thing. Believe it or not, BMW salesmen and sales managers are cut from the same cloth.

That's the car business, the bloom comes off the rose pretty quickly and with surprising regularity.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
in short , that's true.
M ED cars come out of dealer allocations, will be released to ED dept. so not all dealer's incentives will go to that dealer unlike US delivered car.
At the end it's economics for dealer....if they can sell it at US MSRP, with all incentives intact, which is profit; would they sell it to you for less profit?
No

Wait a year or so, when people stop buying M2 at US MSRP then you have a chance to buy it at ED MSRP (or maybe even some discount).

non M car is treated differently, I bluffed my dealer for 430i ED and they agree $500 over ED invoice w/o even haggling.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
in short , that's true.
M ED cars come out of dealer allocations, will be released to ED dept. so not all dealer's incentives will go to that dealer unlike US delivered car.
At the end it's economics for dealer....if they can sell it at US MSRP, with all incentives intact, which is profit; would they sell it to you for less profit?
No

Wait a year or so, when people stop buying M2 at US MSRP then you have a chance to buy it at ED MSRP (or maybe even some discount).

non M car is treated differently, I bluffed my dealer for 430i ED and they agree $500 over ED invoice w/o even haggling.
I ordered mine for ED MSRP back in June but from the posts and PMs I've read over the past 5 months, it's been a mixed bag - some ED M2 buyers getting ED MSRP but others having to pay US MSRP for an ED M2.

I simply wouldn't have bought the car if I hadn't been able to get it for ED MSRP - I don't care about depreciation otherwise I would never buy new cars - I just wasn't willing to pay more than that for it.
      11-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Remember that car salesmen (and dealers) have well deserved reputations, that put them neck and neck with congressmen, whenever surveys are done on public opinion of different occupations.

When the tables get turned and there is no longer a line out the door of people eager to buy, attitudes change rather remarkably. They can then start to act like they really want your business.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

We're sort of in the same boat - we're trying to get a specific ED delivery window, but we want the 2018 LCI delivered in May before the changeover. I'm in Phoenix, and when we weren't sure our dealer was going to come through I called around to make sure we had a backup plan.

In my area, BMW of North Scottsdale, BMW of Tucson and BMW Palm Springs outright declined the request to do a Euro Delivery on an M2. It wasn't a matter of price - it never even got that far. All 3 were happy to help with the M2 for US delivery, but none of the 3 would even consider doing ED on one.

Only Chapman BMW in my area was willing to do it, and they are honoring the 5% ED discount.

Our Plan B, should Plan A fall through, is in Santa Fe, NM. They've also confirmed that they will do an ED and they will honor the ED 5% discount.

You may have to reach further than your immediate area, but dealers will do it, and they will honor the 5% discount, you just have to find one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
My dealer just told me that they can't offer ED discount, they can just leave the car there. So that's ED for you I would take up that offer if it wasn't winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
My dealer just told me that they can't offer ED discount, they can just leave the car there. So that's ED for you I would take up that offer if it wasn't winter.
If you want to do ED, find another dealer. You won't be the first person who had to drive a few hundred miles to get a deal on the car you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If you want to do ED, find another dealer. You won't be the first person who had to drive a few hundred miles to get a deal on the car you want.
I know, I'm not saying it to complain and this discussion happened a few months ago. Just giving an example. I ED-ed in the past so no rush to do again.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
I know, I'm not saying it to complain and this discussion happened a few months ago. Just giving an example. I ED-ed in the past so no rush to do again.
That wasn't to criticize you or your post, just to point out that there are lots of dealers out there.

Around the time I bought my (long gone) 2015 STi, a lot of dealers were trying to get "market adjustments" on their allocations, often up to $5K. There was a high volume Subaru dealer in Colorado who made a business in selling cars to these people. Their sales rep was constantly posting on the STi forum, and he was shipping cars right and left all over the country, to those people who weren't willing to fly in to pick their cars up.

Those dealers who treat their customers well realize that the customer isn't a customer for just 1 transaction, that if you treat them right, you will get repeat business, both in the showroom, and in the service and parts departments.

I can understand a dealer wanting to maximize profits, but this is nickel and dime thinking when the reality is that having a customer go to the trouble of flying overseas to pick up a car, and to spend time going through the brand's museum, etc., is the sort of experience that will bind a customer to the brand for a long time. Just look at all the threads on these boards with all the pictures and descriptions of how this and that person's ED experience was such a great trip for them.

So, by doing this, the dealer is:

(1) Likely turning you off from doing business with their dealership, ever again, or at least for the next couple of car purchases;

(2) Sending you to a competitor, see #1 above;

(3) Souring you on the brand, maybe forever;

(4) Giving you good reason to talk trash about them whenever anyone brings up the brand or your car to you in a conversation in the future.

It's just short-sighted, cheap, stupid thinking, by a dealership or a salesman or both, who don't know how to treat customers and who deserve whatever they get as a result.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I ordered mine for ED MSRP back in June… I simply wouldn't have bought the car if I hadn't been able to get it for ED MSRP - I don't care about depreciation otherwise I would never buy new cars - I just wasn't willing to pay more than that for it.
Same here. I called from Crecent City, California and down until I found a dealer willing to order my bare bones (2018 LCI, 6MT, LBB, Moonroof, CarPlay, UC+) M2 at ED MSRP with ED and PCD.

Last edited by cornercase; 12-02-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

I'm planning on doing this as well, and want to take delivery between May and September of 2019. I haven't begun the process yet as they haven't even announced the car. I have no idea what would be too early, especially since I don't want to take delivery until next spring/summer.
2015 Scion FR-S
Coming soon - 2019 M2 Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
I'm planning on doing this as well, and want to take delivery between May and September of 2019. I haven't begun the process yet as they haven't even announced the car. I have no idea what would be too early, especially since I don't want to take delivery until next spring/summer.
I'm have the first allocation at my dealership for a 2019 M2 with ED at ED MSRP. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm have the first allocation at my dealership for a 2019 M2 with ED at ED MSRP. Can't wait.
When are you ordering the car?
2015 Scion FR-S
Coming soon - 2019 M2 Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:55 PM   #15
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
When are you ordering the car?
The build sheets should be out in another month or so, then I'll have to wait until my dealer gets an allocation to place my order.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #16
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'm actually on the list for a M2 Competition European Delivery with deposit and ED MSRP in writing.

I'm number 1 on the list. Only problem is my SA told me they will not allow ED on their number 1 allocation. If I want to do ED I would need to give up my spot for number 2.

I have no decided what I will do yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I'm actually on the list for a M2 Competition European Delivery with deposit and ED MSRP in writing.

I'm number 1 on the list. Only problem is my SA told me they will not allow ED on their number 1 allocation. If I want to do ED I would need to give up my spot for number 2.

I have no decided what I will do yet.
I have no idea how many allocations your dealer will get and how soon. We just have to wait and see. The thing is that ED is more than saving money. It adds a big adventure to an already great event. I have a scrapbook of my last ED, reading it always puts a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #18
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I have no idea how many allocations your dealer will get and how soon. We just have to wait and see. The thing is that ED is more than saving money. It adds a big adventure to an already great event. I have a scrapbook of my last ED, reading it always puts a smile on my face.
Exactly. I did an ED back in 2011 and I loved it.

I will even do an ED with USA MSRP. With an ED MSRP in writing I might give up my number 1 spot just to do ED on the M2 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #19
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Exactly. I did an ED back in 2011 and I loved it.

I will even do an ED with USA MSRP. With an ED MSRP in writing I might give up my number 1 spot just to do ED on the M2 Competition.
Hopefully the M2 has been around long enough that the interest for the Competition will be muted compared to the initial release frenzy and allocations will be easier to get this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #20
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but do we know the colors for the competition yet? If it comes in red, I've got a chance...otherwise, not so much.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #21
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but do we know the colors for the competition yet? If it comes in red, I've got a chance...otherwise, not so much.
Colors for the competition are white, black, blue, orange, and silver.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      04-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #22
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Colors for the competition are white, black, blue, orange, and silver.
Thank you. I'll keep the E90M3 then I guess (unless I can convince her to get a Cayman...they come in red).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0