BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Allocation Waiting List

04-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #551
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Has anyone in Illinois gotten an allocation spot?
      05-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #552
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

If one were to order an M2 right now how long would it take to get one? 6 months? A year?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #553
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3
If one were to order an M2 right now how long would it take to get one? 6 months? A year?
Fall 2017 or thereabouts.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #554
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
How do you know this...are you a bmw insider? They maybe able to ramp up when the initial 2016 model yr is done and 2017 gets rolling onward. These boards have useful info in some regards buts others is mere speculation based on current gut feelings.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #555
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post

Guess it all depends on the dealer you go to and how many people they've already got wait listed. To be honest, looking at some of the numbers people have been posting, there are certain dealers with wait lists in the double-digits. If you figure the most high-volume dealers may get 1-2 slots each month (just speculating), and then another few months between the time you actual get a production slot and the time the car is actually put into production, then another couple months from production until the car arrives, you could be waiting quite some time. Again, it all depends.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #556
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
Guess it all depends on the dealer you go to and how many people they've already got wait listed. To be honest, looking at some of the numbers people have been posting, there are certain dealers with wait lists in the double-digits. If you figure the most high-volume dealers may get 1-2 slots each month (just speculating), and then another few months between the time you actual get a production slot and the time the car is actually put into production, then another couple months from production until the car arrives, you could be waiting quite some time. Again, it all depends.

If this is the case then I would just go second hand. It won't be too hard to get one of these in the spec you want since it only has 4 different color options and 2 other options.

What about European delivery? Is there a shorter wait for that? I'm looking to get my car in about 10 months time at the latest. I am going to call around to dealers but I know they will probably be full of shit
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #557
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If this is the case then I would just go second hand. It won't be too hard to get one of these in the spec you want since it only has 4 different color options and 2 other options.

What about European delivery? Is there a shorter wait for that? I'm looking to get my car in about 10 months time at the latest. I am going to call around to dealers but I know they will probably be full of shit
The wait is still the same regardless of ED or not. You're still going by your own dealer's allocation availability.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #558
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Anyone on Steve Thomas waiting list place an order yet? Anyone on here that is on the 1-3 spot on their list??
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #559
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

I'm number 4 out of 7 @ my dealer in Jacksonville. #1 got his, # 2 is being built, number 3 pending.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #560
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Any word on if more allocations were released today?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #561
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx
Quote:
How do you know this...are you a bmw insider? They maybe able to ramp up when the initial 2016 model yr is done and 2017 gets rolling onward. These boards have useful info in some regards buts others is mere speculation based on current gut feelings.
I myself am not, but to make answer short, yes.

BMW will keep numbers low on purpose, as it's supposed to be a hard-to-get car and is being used to move people up to an M4 or down to M235i.

To put into perspective - for every 10 or so cars built at Leipzig, ONE car is a 2-series coupe - the rest are the 1-series or the new Tourer and Grand Tourer FWD cars.

Now, that one car could be one of all the gas and diesel variants (228, 220d, etc, etc, etc), the M235i and the M2.

So if we assume a best case scenario of say one M2 every five or so coupes in total, that means for every 50 cars Leipzig makes, ONE is a M2.

One last point to consider: the 2-series family of coupes is by far the lowest sales family for all of BMW. So while the M2 is a life-saving, paradigm-shifting dream machine, it simply doesn't make enough money to justify building a shitload of them. It's a much more effective tool as a pseudo-halo car that draws people in, and when they realize it'll be 12-18 months out, they pick another BMW.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #562
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
I myself am not, but to make answer short, yes.

BMW will keep numbers low on purpose, as it's supposed to be a hard-to-get car and is being used to move people up to an M4 or down to M235i.

To put into perspective - for every 10 or so cars built at Leipzig, ONE car is a 2-series coupe - the rest are the 1-series or the new Tourer and Grand Tourer FWD cars.

Now, that one car could be one of all the gas and diesel variants (228, 220d, etc, etc, etc), the M235i and the M2.

So if we assume a best case scenario of say one M2 every five or so coupes in total, that means for every 50 cars Leipzig makes, ONE is a M2.

One last point to consider: the 2-series family of coupes is by far the lowest sales family for all of BMW. So while the M2 is a life-saving, paradigm-shifting dream machine, it simply doesn't make enough money to justify building a shitload of them. It's a much more effective tool as a pseudo-halo car that draws people in, and when they realize it'll be 12-18 months out, they pick another BMW.
I'm not convinced that everyone or even most will "pick another BMW". It would be interesting to run a survey on this forum to see who has given up and what they have bought instead. I just don't see this as a win-win situation for BMW. Part of the marketing strategy for the M2 was supposedly to drawn in a younger target market who might not have been able to afford an M4, but if that is so, then some (many?) of those consumers are not brand loyal to BMW.

I am, so I'm hanging in there, but if there is a deliberate strategy on BMW's part to hold back supply as part of some halo model strategy, I'm not sure it's going to work out the way BMW might be thinking it will.
      05-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #563
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
I'm not convinced that everyone or even most will "pick another BMW". It would be interesting to run a survey on this forum to see who has given up and what they have bought instead. I just don't see this as a win-win situation for BMW. Part of the marketing strategy for the M2 was supposedly to drawn in a younger target market who might not have been able to afford an M4, but if that is so, then some (many?) of those consumers are not brand loyal to BMW.

I am, so I'm hanging in there, but if there is a deliberate strategy on BMW's part to hold back supply as part of some halo model strategy, I'm not sure it's going to work out the way BMW might be thinking it will.
I'm probably part of their target. Not brand loyal and was drawn in by the M2. Dealers tried to sway me to either the M4 or the M235i, but neither are the M2. I'll either wait for the M2 or get something else entirely.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #564
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:

Not sure about the rest of the target audience, but I'd be looking elsewhere if the M2 doesn't work out.

The M4 is a great car, but just too big for my taste...generally prefer smaller sports cars. The M3 would be a candidate if I was looking for a 4 door sedan, but my wife already drives a people mover.

M235 I do like, but in that price range I think there is better value elsewhere.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #565
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
Not sure about the rest of the target audience, but I'd be looking elsewhere if the M2 doesn't work out.

The M4 is a great car, but just too big for my taste...generally prefer smaller sports cars. The M3 would be a candidate if I was looking for a 4 door sedan, but my wife already drives a people mover.

M235 I do like, but in that price range I think there is better value elsewhere.
I'm in the same boat. If I can't get the M2 (hopefully not the case as I'm now #2 at my dealer), then I'm going to look elsewhere. BMW is not going to convince me to get an M3/M4 or an M235i. None of those cars are compelling enough, at least not for me.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #566
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
I'm in the same boat. If I can't get the M2 (hopefully not the case as I'm now #2 at my dealer), then I'm going to look elsewhere. BMW is not going to convince me to get an M3/M4 or an M235i. None of those cars are compelling enough, at least not for me.
+1, hopefully they realize this and ramp up inventory.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #567
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I agree and it is a very valid point. I believe that folks looking for an M2-like car (A45, CLA45, RS3, etc.) will definitely cross shop and maybe even go to another brand if they can't get one - that's a gamble BMW made and we will see how it pays off.

At the end of the day, folks like myself who truly ONLY want an M2 will wait for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
To all the folks who are holding onto the idea that production will magically ramp up for next year: it won't. It's really that simple - they want to keep it limited plus they really just can't make that many due to plant limitations. So if you are truly set on a M2,get in line and prepare for a lot of long, frustrating days ahead.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #568
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:

Actually ED would probably be harder to do and a longer wait. Some dealers have flat out refused to do a ED option, unless you are willing to pay a premium. I started this whole process well over a year ago, was #1 on 4 lists. I just recently found out that if I would've waited for the 1st configurable allocation from any other those dealers, the prod date was end of June with a delivery @ end of Aug provided no other complications came up. That could've pushed it into a MY '17. That's why I chose to just close on a HEA car.

It may be possible, but unless you are top 5 on a list, I don't think you'll make your window.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #569
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Some parts of me hope they do NOT ramp it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #570
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
Some parts of me hope they do NOT ramp it up.
True, it's a longer wait, but the cars will hold their value far better. The current lease residual concerns me a little. It should also get interesting when BMW updates the M235i to the M240i, presumably with the B58.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #571
IwannaM2
Rep
Drives: M2 (soon)

I am expecting to hear from my dealer tomorrow (will call them if they don't reach out first) to start production on my allocation. I put a deposit down in January to hold this #1 spot behind the HEA. I will update this post tomorrow after I get word from the dealer (southern PA).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #572
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaM2 View Post
I am expecting to hear from my dealer tomorrow (will call them if they don't reach out first) to start production on my allocation. I put a deposit down in January to hold this #1 spot behind the HEA. I will update this post tomorrow after I get word from the dealer (southern PA).
Good luck. Apparently all MY2016 allocation have been given out to the dealerships. Your next best bet is June allocation, for July production/build week.

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 0