BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How long can you leave a car at factory before Euro Delivery pickup?

05-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

How long can you leave a car at factory before Euro Delivery pickup?

So I already got a production number for my M2 Comp , and I had figured it would take a month or so to build it, and I would go to Europe in mid September, when it's nice weather and avoid all the tourists and drive it for a week.

It seems that they've already confirmed based on my Production number that my car would be ready on July 19!

I know I should be ecstatic about that, but I really don't want to do my trip in late July... It will be hot as hell, and way too many tourists on the Nurburgring!

Do you know if I could ask to still pick up the car mid September? Or do they not hold a car for people that long, before you pick it up for Euro Delivery?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
RyderSU
2018 BMW M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 - Widebody

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So I already got a production number for my M2 Comp , and I had figured it would take a month or so to build it, and I would go to Europe in mid September, when it's nice weather and avoid all the tourists and drive it for a week.

It seems that they've already confirmed based on my Production number that my car would be ready on July 19!

I know I should be ecstatic about that, but I really don't want to do my trip in late July... It will be hot as hell, and way too many tourists on the Nurburgring!

Do you know if I could ask to still pick up the car mid September? Or do they not hold a car for people that long, before you pick it up for Euro Delivery?
Seems like July is a bit late, I think their date they gave you was to get it delivered to you. Production usually takes 10-14 days then gets shipped out.
Instagram: Ryder.m2
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderSU View Post
Seems like July is a bit late, I think their date they gave you was to get it delivered to you. Production usually takes 10-14 days then gets shipped out.
Not sure how that answers my question?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
RyderSU
2018 BMW M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 - Widebody

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure how that answers my question?
You'd have to ask them if they can hold it, problem a case-by-case basis.
Instagram: Ryder.m2
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
cornercase
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderSU View Post
You'd have to ask them if they can hold it, problem a case-by-case basis.
Yes, you’ll need to coordinate with BMW ED. I was able to push my pickup date back 1 month on an exception basis. Good luck, and enjoy your ED!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercase View Post
Yes, you’ll need to coordinate with BMW ED. I was able to push my pickup date back 1 month on an exception basis. Good luck, and enjoy your ED!
Thanks, sounds like a couple of weeks is doable, but otherwise you need to aim to pick up your car pretty close to when it's ready.

Looks like I'll be going to Europe late July then!

Hope the Ring isn't too busy!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

That seems kinda silly. They want you to plan your vacation to Europe on short notice (less than 2 months)?

When I do my ED, my dates will be pretty firmly set, plus or minus a week or two. I'll just have to coordinate with them I guess so they can build it whenever they want, but I have a specific window when I'll want to pick it up.

I'm sure my dealer will work with me on that though (choosing which specific allocation).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

This entire thread confuses me, and I just got back from ED a mere seven months ago:

First, I don't understand how you can have a production number in May when production doesn't start until July, and when third quarter allocations (and therefore production numbers) are released in June.

Second, I don't understand the confusion about timing the ED - you schedule an exact date at the time of the ED Purchase Order (actually, you give them three dates - and they can be three consecutive days - and most of the time you will get your first choice).
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      05-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
This entire thread confuses me, and I just got back from ED a mere seven months ago:

First, I don't understand how you can have a production number in May when production doesn't start until July, and when third quarter allocations (and therefore production numbers) are released in June.

Second, I don't understand the confusion about timing the ED - you schedule an exact date at the time of the ED Purchase Order (actually, you give them three dates - and they can be three consecutive days - and most of the time you will get your first choice).
Thanks for the info. I've never done an ED before but I'm dying to do it next year.

To the person (OP?) who has such an early build allocation, you may want to check to be ABSOLUTELY SURE it's going to be an M2C and not an M2 (assuming that's what you want).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, sounds like a couple of weeks is doable, but otherwise you need to aim to pick up your car pretty close to when it's ready.

Looks like I'll be going to Europe late July then!

Hope the Ring isn't too busy!
I'm guessing this is your first ED, as you actually have it backwards - you don't plan to pick up the car when it's ready; rather, they build it 2-3 weeks before your scheduled delivery date.

First, you get an allocation, and it doesn't matter what production week is initially assigned to that allocation, as long as it's in the appropriate quarter, as BMW will move your production week to coincide with the approved delivery date.

By the way, did the dealer give you the production number (vs just telling you they allegedly got one) and, if so, have you called the status line to confirm its status and the production week? Just curious since third quarter allocations won't be out for approx another month. You have to complete an ED Purchase Order.

Production status: 1-800-831-1117
BMW NA Special Sales (ED): 1-800-932-0831

For reference, my car took 12 days to build and was completed 19 days before delivery. My ED PO was completed on 6/20 and the car finished production on 9/16. I had about 3.5 months from PO to delivery. Hope this helps.
      05-20-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I'm guessing this is your first ED, as you actually have it backwards - you don't plan to pick up the car when it's ready; rather, they build it 2-3 weeks before your scheduled delivery date.

First, you get an allocation, and it doesn't matter what production week is initially assigned to that allocation, as long as it's in the appropriate quarter, as BMW will move your production week to coincide with the approved delivery date.

By the way, did the dealer give you the production number (vs just telling you they allegedly got one) and, if so, have you called the status line to confirm its status and the production week? Just curious since third quarter allocations won't be out for approx another month. You have to complete an ED Purchase Order.

Production status: 1-800-831-1117
BMW NA Special Sales (ED): 1-800-932-0831

For reference, my car took 12 days to build and was completed 19 days before delivery. My ED PO was completed on 6/20 and the car finished production on 9/16. I had about 3.5 months from PO to delivery. Hope this helps.
Yes, this is my first ED. I'm in Canada, I'll see if those phone numbers work for my order. Thanks.

I'm going off what my rep told me. He said today that he pulled some strings to get me in early, and he emailed me the production number (903xxxx) with a July 19th pickup date, at the earliest.

I signed my deal a few days ago, and checked off the ED option. He gave me a brochure about how it works, that's it. Today when I went by, I got the European Delivery forms to sign, so I was going to book my trip based on the above date.

I'm assuming if I insist on a Sept. ED date, then they'd give me a different production slot.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this is my first ED. I'm in Canada, I'll see if those phone numbers work for my order. Thanks.

I'm going off what my rep told me. He said today that he pulled some strings to get me in early, and he emailed me the production number (903xxxx) with a July 19th pickup date, at the earliest.

I signed my deal a few days ago, and checked off the ED option. He gave me a brochure about how it works, that's it. Today when I went by, I got the European Delivery forms to sign, so I was going to book my trip based on the above date.

I'm assuming if I insist on a Sept. ED date, then they'd give me a different production slot.
The first phone number should tell you when production is scheduled (if it is already scheduled, that is), that way you can confirm what the dealer told you. Seems strange that a production number for the third quarter would be available a month early.

The second phone number is the best resource for ED - it's a BMW NA number so it should work for Canada too. They are really helpful and know the ED process better than any other resource.
      06-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

... and way too many tourists on the Nurburgring!

Tourists just like you lol!

The only time the Nurburgring isn't busy is when its closed. - To be fair, it's a little better Nov to Feb as you don't have so many bikes.