BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs ZL1

04-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

M2 vs ZL1

I'm thinking about it. Crappy gas mileage, doesn't retain value; otherwise, not much downside. Thoughts?
      04-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Everything's bigger in Texas including the ZL1.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
I'm thinking about it. Crappy gas mileage, doesn't retain value; otherwise, not much downside. Thoughts?
1LE or the standard? 6 speed or 10 speed auto? Trading in the M2?

I have really been wanting one...BAD. However, the exterior looks very "cheap" and "plasticky" to me and the way they depreciate it just crazy.

Also, I have been reading that the ride quality on the 1LE is much too harsh for the street and for whatever reason the "regular" non-1LE ZL1 just does not appeal to me.

Not sure what to think of it. I currently have the GT350 and while quite a bit slower than the ZL1/1LE, it is just more fun (raw), has more character, and sounds way better. No doubt it is a whole lot slower than the ZL1.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Non 1LE ZL1, manual. I found one that's 1 yr old, with very very low miles, and 10k less than sticker. I would trade.

I drove an SS 1LE and liked it. I appreciate the gt350 (had a few mustangs before the m2), but I need way higher power/weight ratio
      04-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

Quote:
Non 1LE ZL1, manual. I found one that's 1 yr old, with very very low miles, and 10k less than sticker. I would trade.

I drove an SS 1LE and liked it. I appreciate the gt350 (had a few mustangs before the m2), but I need way higher power/weight ratio
If it's already "pre-depreciated" and you can snag it for a good price. Might be a fun car to drive and if for whatever reason you need to sell/trade you won't be screwed.

Not sure if it will be more "fun" than an M2, but it will be a WHOLE lot faster. Supercharged V8's make crazy power with a couple light mods.

Have you test driven the ZL1, how does it compare to the M2?

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have never driven a ZL1. The American muscle car is a just a different feel/experience from a bmw for sure. The ridiculous power can't hurt.
      04-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #7
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

exterior styling is the only reason why I dont have a ZL1, everything else is better than the M2, that car actually performs better than every single BMW on the market
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Racer X
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

ZL1 is a heavy yet very powerful ride. It’s handling is solid. But the driving position and feel are not it’s strength. Take a test drive. I would like a ZL1 1LE!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

The current ZL1 1LE package is the fastest car under 100k. It's heavy, yes, but weight vs. downforce weight isn't that much different at speed. Remember, heavy weight is one of the most important factors for why the GTR35 is able to do what it does on a track. The only effect that it would have is breaking and acceleration, but neither of which are a problem at all for the 1LE. It's lack of refinement for visual and tactile appeal is more than made up for in the performance category. It's how they kept it from knocking out the Vette for the "best" car from GM.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

I fell for this trap a couple of times in my life, the last one being seduced by the Mustang Shelby GT 350. I refused delivery on the first one because the paint was so bad literally half the car needed to be repainted. The second one was sold after a year, because the paint came off the door when I washed it (by hand!), the build quality was so bad I was afraid to drive it at speed (what’s that noise?) and a 6-month recall (no driving!) made it a dust collector in the garage.

Sorry to say, but after also having owned a Z/28, I wouldn’t expect any better quality from the Camaro.

OTOH, you will never have more pure, stupid fun than when you stomp on the gas or hit the perfect, orgasmic 3-2 downshift on the track. Everybody should experience a car like this once in their lives. Just do it - no matter how old you are, life’s too short not to.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I have an SS 1LE. Quality isn't as bad as described above but it isn't a tank either. I would say it's on par with a modern Accord.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I fell for this trap a couple of times in my life, the last one being seduced by the Mustang Shelby GT 350. I refused delivery on the first one because the paint was so bad literally half the car needed to be repainted. The second one was sold after a year, because the paint came off the door when I washed it (by hand!), the build quality was so bad I was afraid to drive it at speed (what’s that noise?) and a 6-month recall (no driving!) made it a dust collector in the garage.

Sorry to say, but after also having owned a Z/28, I wouldn’t expect any better quality from the Camaro.

OTOH, you will never have more pure, stupid fun than when you stomp on the gas or hit the perfect, orgasmic 3-2 downshift on the track. Everybody should experience a car like this once in their lives. Just do it - no matter how old you are, life’s too short not to.
Your experience with the GT350 is about on par with some others I've talked to and I'm so glad I didn't go this route instead of the M2. However, GM build quality has been far better than that of Ford recently. NONE of the offerings from Ford or GM have what I would call elegant interiors. Even the upper end of the spectrum like Cadillac and Lincoln. The Americans just do interiors straight up terribly. Ergonomics are all out of whack, and design motifs are a terrible reinterpretation of art deco from the 50's in the standard GM/Ford lineup.

That being said, there's nothing like the hammer that is a GM LS or LT engine. And with the incredible leap in suspension setups that GM has been utilizing since their initial CTS-V offering, they have continued to surprise me with their track performance. Hell, the new Vette's and Camaro's are certifiable track cars now instead of just go-fast machines.

Either way, if you're buying a ZL1 1LE package you aren't doing it for how good the stereo quality is or how well it holds your coffee in the cup holder. You are buying it for what it was meant to do, and that's hammer your ribs against the side bolsters, throw your head back into the seat, and pound your eardrums.

Last edited by TampaF87; 04-25-2018 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Been seriously considering the ZL1 1LE as a, “hell with it, just go crazy, you only live once” choice.

Not a huge fan of the regular ZL1 design (mainly the rear), but the front fascia is menacing in a great way. Love that look.

However, with the 1LE package aesthetics, it takes it over the top: the rear spoiler looks much better than the stock spoiler, which seems like an afterthought. The front dive planes just make it even more intimidating. It seems like the ZL1 1LE just has the more complete, true-to-its-purpose look... There is a Camaro 6 member who just posted pics of his Nightfall grey ZL1 1LE in the “I made the switch ZL1 to ZL1 1LE” thread...exactly how I would get it.

Anyway, everyone knows the performance on these are ludicrous... BMW would charge $200K for those performance figures.

As far as poor ride quality (for daily driving) I’m reading that is a little overblown. I’m not expecting M4 comfort, but it doesn’t seem that bad as owners can attest to. Regardless, it would be a waste not to track it at least once in awhile. On the streets, everybody will get out the way of this thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

ive owned both a SS 1LE (manual) and a ZL1 (auto). fun cars. biggest down side is the visibility. in comparison also very cheap to mod. with the ZL1 you can smoke almost anything on the rode. and if it isnt faster it will be very close

DCT trans is expenetially better than ZL1 auto trans
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
The current ZL1 1LE package is the fastest car under 100k. It's heavy, yes, but weight vs. downforce weight isn't that much different at speed. Remember, heavy weight is one of the most important factors for why the GTR35 is able to do what it does on a track. The only effect that it would have is breaking and acceleration, but neither of which are a problem at all for the 1LE. It's lack of refinement for visual and tactile appeal is more than made up for in the performance category. It's how they kept it from knocking out the Vette for the "best" car from GM.
What in the world? You think weight doesn't factor into cornering?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #16
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
make sure you take at least 2 good long test drives. I went from a 981 Cayman S to a 2015 C7, didn't notice that the C7 just felt sloppy and clumsy in lots of ways compared to the cayman on a 10 minute test drive. nor did I notice how much the sheer size of the c7 would annoy me. 3 days later I wanted my cayman back.

domestics haven't quite caught up in the fine details and for me that made in a difference in how much I enjoyed the car

overall I would take my m240i over the C7 I had...
Appreciate 1