BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Order Process for M2?

03-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
F87 2018
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Order Process for M2?

Hi guys,

I am currently in a process to place an order for a M2. I have dropped off the 5k deposit last week and I asked my dealer if he had an allocation. He ensured me that they do have an allocation and when I asked him if it's an order slot, he simply said that it means he is allocated a chassis to build.

Can someone explain to me what this means? Because by the time all the paperwork and credit application is complete it will probably be in April. That means there is only a month or two to order and produce the car. Should I worry about the allocation?

Thanks
Eric
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2buyer View Post
Hi guys,

I am currently in a process to place an order for a M2. I have dropped off the 5k deposit last week and I asked my dealer if he had an allocation. He ensured me that they do have an allocation and when I asked him if it's an order slot, he simply said that it means he is allocated a chassis to build.

Can someone explain to me what this means? Because by the time all the paperwork and credit application is complete it will probably be in April. That means there is only a month or two to order and produce the car. Should I worry about the allocation?

Thanks
Eric
If the dealer won't let you order exactly the car that you want, configured as you want it, demand you money back or do a chargeback with your credit card if that is how you gave the deposit.

Alternatively, if you have issues with affordability for the car, then you need to decide if this is really something that you should do. No one needs an M2.
      03-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
F87 2018
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If the dealer won't let you order exactly the car that you want, configured as you want it, demand you money back or do a chargeback with your credit card if that is how you gave the deposit.

Alternatively, if you have issues with affordability for the car, then you need to decide if this is really something that you should do. No one needs an M2.
I'm sure he'll let me configure it the way I want, since it's a special order. But since he's telling me he has a chassis to build, does that mean it will go into production right away after the order is placed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2buyer View Post
I'm sure he'll let me configure it the way I want, since it's a special order. But since he's telling me he has a chassis to build, does that mean it will go into production right away after the order is placed?

Thanks!
I received my M2 a week ago, and I was not one to follow the process closely, like many others have done on these forums. My order was placed in late December.

That being said, I have no idea what your dealer contact meant by that. I would infer that he has an allocation that will be built on a certain timeframe, either with a car that you specify, or one that the dealer or another customer customizes.
      03-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
mcnevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hey M2Buyer ask him for a production number. If he has an allocation he should have one. Also ask for when it goes into production and the build date. Should be a month with a numbered week. Where you located? Also is your local BMW dealer a big store that sells alot of M cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
F87 2018
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnevin View Post
Hey M2Buyer ask him for a production number. If he has an allocation he should have one. Also ask for when it goes into production and the build date. Should be a month with a numbered week. Where you located? Also is your local BMW dealer a big store that sells alot of M cars?
It is BMWRockville. Yes they sell quite a bit Ms I believe. I will definitely ask!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Here is my timeline, for your info:

December 13, 2017- I went into BMW dealership, where the salesman had told me he had a slot.
We sat down, and I ordered the car exactly as I wanted. I left with a copy of my order, which contained a production number, showed the base price and the exact configuration of my car, color, options, final total cost.

I have leased BMW's from this dealership in the past, so he didn't ask for any deposit, and told me I could back out at any time, as they could always sell the car I was ordering.

(The fact they have a slot doesn't mean it'll be built immediately, but they should be able to tell you the week your vehicle will be built. This is the week it should be completed)

Feb. 6- Car started to be built!

Feb. 16- Build completed.

Feb. 23- Arrived at port in Germany, for shipping to U.S.

March 22- Arrived at Port in Oxnard, California. Sent to Vehicle Processing Center

March 26- Arrived at my dealership

March 28- Picked up M2 from dealer!!!

If you're on the east coast, I believe the boat ride is shorter then the nearly 30 days it took to the West Coast.

Hope this helps...($5,000 deposit sounds like a lot, but maybe that's more typical, but as I said, I didn't have to pay any deposit)

Oh, by the way, the base price increased $1,000 during this time period, but my dealer and BMW sold the M2 at the lower base price that existed when I ordered the car, as they should. My point is, once you order the car, the price should be firm.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Allocated to a chassis to build sounds strange, and I've never heard it worded that way. My experience was, they let me configure the car like I wanted, but I had no production number or set date. This was almost a year ago however, when getting an M2 was a little more difficult.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year. The dealer had a car going into production and I got production & Vin numbers. They kept my order info from earlier, and let me add a moon-roof). It took about three weeks for the car to be done, and another week to ship here. Add a few more weeks for my performance center delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Ask for what week the allocation is for. Mine was a week 8 allocation and it was finished being built on February 16th. Mine arrived at the dealer March 26th (lots of snow delays) and I took delivery on the 28th.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnevin View Post
He may have an allocation, but you don't have a production number until an order is submitted.
The factory accepts the order & the production number is issued indicating where that order sits in the build process.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
FasterthanAppears
Rep
Drives: Mini S

New M2 Inventory - Take Your Pick

Looks like the days of waiting a crazy amount of time & dealing with lazy dealers who were drunk with overdemand are gone.
Look on BMW USA, Autotrader or Cargurus.........plenty of NEW M2s in all flavors just waiting to be picked up.
Might not be at the Dealer around the corner but You don't have to look so far to find yours.........
Don't let a salesperson or dealer jerk you around - those days are over
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
mcnevin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
He may have an allocation, but you don't have a production number until an order is submitted.
The factory accepts the order & the production number is issued indicating where that order sits in the build process.
I'd be skeptical, even more so when it comes to M cars without a number. While you are true to a certain degree, I mark all my M allocations as "Sold" with a ghost client, so my sister stores can't grab them without me knowing. Dealers are notified when they get allocations and build a car for the lot until a client changes it. Soon after the dealers lot build is put in we get a production number fairly quick if there is an allocation.

Also depending on the relationship between the dealer and their BMW NA Rep or if someone at the dealer knows the right people high enough up the pecking order at BMW NA, it may be possible to find out additional un-used regional or upcoming allocations that the dealer didn't currently have.

But it's better to be on the safe side and at least ask for "Proof of Life"
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Usually, if they have an allocation to build, my understanding is that they can customize your order right then and there. That's what I was able to do on my previous M4. I could make all the changes I wanted, up until the point where the vehicle enters into production.

Were you able to customize your build? You should have been able to do it while you were at the dealership if they have an allocation to build. I'd ask your client advisor about this. Otherwise, they probably don't have an allocation, and I'd ask for a refund.
Appreciate 0