BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M6 vs DCT. What should I go with?

05-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #67
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Here's another question / possible plus for DCT - does BMW offer remote-start via ConnectedDrive / iOS app (or even by the keyfob)? If so, presumably this is only an option on DCT cars and not with a stick?
There's no remote start. At least not in North America. The pre-condition function is just for air circulation.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      05-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #68
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I own a manual but recently had the opportunity to really drive a DCT. Buy the DCT!!! Drive it in manual mode.
This.

I never use it in D.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #69
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Anyone have a comparison between the 6MT and DCT in the M2 in terms of response? I owned a manual F80 and compared to the DCT M4 cars I raced at the M driver training on track, the manual did not feel as snappy or responsive. It's like the DCT is suited much better to the S55. There is the response as I mentioned and both were in sport mode but then there is the turbo coming off boost factor. I found the throttle to be quite numb/muted/Heavy even in sport/sport plus but the DCT cars more sensitive and snappy. I compared in same mode, same gear etc.

If I was to have a M3 or M4 again I would choose DCT for the above reasons. Would it be the same for the M2 or does the manual suit the N55 and smaller size of the M2?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #70
Isty
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 - V40 T5 - M2 aug deliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Anyone have a comparison between the 6MT and DCT in the M2 in terms of response? I owned a manual F80 and compared to the DCT M4 cars I raced at the M driver training on track, the manual did not feel as snappy or responsive. It's like the DCT is suited much better to the S55. There is the response as I mentioned and both were in sport mode but then there is the turbo coming off boost factor.

If I was to have a M3 or M4 again I would choose DCT for the above reasons. Would it be the same for the M2 or does the manual suit the N55 and smaller size of the M2?
I have driven dct twice and I didnt feel any lag with the m2, yesterday I drove a manual for the first time (have manual on order) and it felt reaaally laggy compared to the dct.
Also the power delivery didnt feel as linnear with the manual.

I have to put some more drivinghours before I can't change my order anymore
Appreciate 1
Hazey82276.50
      05-24-2017, 05:33 AM   #71
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isty View Post
Quote:
Anyone have a comparison between the 6MT and DCT in the M2 in terms of response? I owned a manual F80 and compared to the DCT M4 cars I raced at the M driver training on track, the manual did not feel as snappy or responsive. It's like the DCT is suited much better to the S55. There is the response as I mentioned and both were in sport mode but then there is the turbo coming off boost factor.

I have driven dct twice and I didnt feel any lag with the m2, yesterday I drove a manual for the first time (have manual on order) and it felt reaaally laggy compared to the dct.
Also the power delivery didnt feel as linnear with the manual.

I have to put some more drivinghours before I can't change my order anymore
Is what you are describing down to the turbo coming off boost ie you have to be a very good manual driver to get the shift right?
Did you notice the throttle response felt more muted or heavy. Kind of like comparing NA to turbo in a way? This was my experience of manual vs dct in the M4
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #72
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Is what you are describing down to the turbo coming off boost ie you have to be a very good manual driver to get the shift right?
Did you notice the throttle response felt more muted or heavy. Kind of like comparing NA to turbo in a way? This was my experience of manual vs dct in the M4

In Comfort mode I think I'm experiencing this in upshifts. The engine lose all steam for a short while. In Sport/Sport+ it's not a problem for me though.

Here's my thinking on the matter.

Last year I bought a DCT M2 and couldn't figure out the manual shifting at all. It was impossible for me to work out if I had the right gear in and that sort of thing. Manual shifting the DCT was just not natural to me.

So... I sold that and bought a manual M2. You know what? I still struggled somehow in certain situations. It was harder than I remembered it to be. I hadn't really driven a stick for almost 8 years.

Then I went to this track day experience where they had M3/M4 with DCT. I thought oh no, I will struggle with this. But no, now it all felt very natural and I loved the DCT in manual mode.

It's not that I dislike the 6MT or anything. It's great fun. But in all honesty I would now rather have the DCT M2 back...

I guess I needed some 6MT driving to get the feel for the gears back. So strange.
Appreciate 2
3Si216.50
ewohar21.50
      05-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #73
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
In Comfort mode I think I'm experiencing this in upshifts. The engine lose all steam for a short while. In Sport/Sport+ it's not a problem for me though.

Last year I bought a DCT M2 and couldn't figure out the manual shifting at all. It was impossible for me to work out if I had the right gear in and that sort of thing. Manual shifting the DCT was just not natural to me.

So... I sold that and bought a manual M2. You know what? I still struggled somehow in certain situations. It was harder than I remembered it to be. I hadn't really driven a stick for almost 8 years.

Then I went to this track day experience where they had M3/M4 with DCT. I thought oh no, I will struggle with this. But no, now it all felt very natural and I loved the DCT in manual mode.

It's not that I dislike the 6MT or anything. It's great fun. But in all honesty I would now rather have the DCT M2 back...

I guess I needed some 6MT driving to get the feel for the gears back. So strange.
It's interesting to hear that, and I can totally understand it. I love the DCT. I come from decades of stick driving. Even thought you're choosing the gears in both cases, using the paddles very is different than stirring a stick around. There is a learning curve; it took me at least a week to get to get to the point where it felt "natural". Now I don't think about it anymore, and always choose the gears myself (except maybe on an interstate with cruise control on).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #74
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post

It's interesting to hear that, and I can totally understand it. I love the DCT. I come from decades of stick driving. Even thought you're choosing the gears in both cases, using the paddles very is different than stirring a stick around. There is a learning curve; it took me at least a week to get to get to the point where it felt "natural". Now I don't think about it anymore, and always choose the gears myself (except maybe on an interstate with cruise control on).
Is the stick up/down the same as with the auto? It's the reverse of the way it is on the Golf.

Shifting up is by pulling the lever down on my wife's Auto. I'm too used to using the stick shift to change.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #75
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Up? Down?...which logic is better? My friends Audi is opposite as well. If you own both brands good luck keeping your brain straight when switching cars, especially early in the morning w/out coffee.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #76
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
There's no remote start. At least not in North America. The pre-condition function is just for air circulation.
I suspect they will offer remote start for more models in the future, today I believe, they only offer it for
BMW X5 (F15)
BMW X6 (F16)
BMW 5 Series Saloon (F10) after 07/2013
MINI 3-door (F56)
MINI 5-door (F55)

and yes only for Automatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #77
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Up? Down?...which logic is better? My friends Audi is opposite as well. If you own both brands good luck keeping your brain straight when switching cars, especially early in the morning w/out coffee.
And then u have Porsche which has it one way then the other in successive generations

I read the BMW way seems more logical (shift up is by flicking down and shift down is by flicking up) due to acceleration and braking g forces - but man it is confusing on the wife's ZF 8 speed auto after using the DSG on the Golf and the Tiguan before that.

Good thing I am getting the manual on the M2.

I had a manual Evo 8MR years ago and bought into the hype of DSG with the Nissan GTR but it never seemed as involving to drive. Conversely, my last Fiesta ST was a blast to drive with the stick shift - even though it wasn't very fast. I have driven PDK and manual Boxster S and always preferred the stick - it just clicked.

Neither the Evo nor the Fiesta had as good a manual box as the Boxster - so I am hoping the rubbery feel of the M2 manual won't detract too much. It was tough enough even getting an M DCT M2 for a test drive.
Appreciate 2
M2Nebula547.50
      05-25-2017, 02:29 AM   #78
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
And then u have Porsche which has it one way then the other in successive generations

I read the BMW way seems more logical (shift up is by flicking down and shift down is by flicking up) due to acceleration and braking g forces - but man it is confusing on the wife's ZF 8 speed auto after using the DSG on the Golf and the Tiguan before that.

I had a manual Evo 8MR years ago and bought into the hype of DSG with the Nissan GTR but it never seemed as involving to drive. Conversely, my last Fiesta ST was a blast to drive with the stick shift - even though it wasn't very fast. I have driven PDK and manual Boxster S and always preferred the stick - it just clicked.

Neither the Evo nor the Fiesta had as good a manual box as the Boxster - so I am hoping the rubbery feel of the M2 manual won't detract too much. It was tough enough even getting an M DCT M2 for a test drive.
When are you getting it, curious about your first impressions as I'm also on the fence, but leaning towards DCT for track work.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #79
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
When are you getting it, curious about your first impressions as I'm also on the fence, but leaning towards DCT for track work.
I've been told late July. Car has been built. Now waiting to go on a ship but it is taking a scenic route.. through the US and Panama Canal before it gets here.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #80
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:

Just sold my M135i manual after 50k km. Change was light, rarely beaten, acceptably positive and you'd have to be critical or really concentrating on minutiae to criticise it at rubbery. Made the car a real pleasure to drive - both gently and flat-out. I'll update regarding the M2 manual 'box in 3 weeks...
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #81
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post

Just sold my M135i manual after 50k km. Change was light, rarely beaten, acceptably positive and you'd have to be critical or really concentrating on minutiae to criticise it at rubbery. Made the car a real pleasure to drive - both gently and flat-out. I'll update regarding the M2 manual 'box in 3 weeks...
Nice.

The last BMW manual I drove was my friend's M5 V8. I didn't think it was that bad actually.

I was merely repeating what some guy wrote about the M2 manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #82
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Don't worry, you will like it, not rubbery at all. Not as mechanical feeling as my old E28 535, but then again that was a 1987 (which btw had it's original clutch at 230K when I sold it to my buddy). Overall, I find it very precise and enjoyable with the throws just about right if a bit long as is the clutch pedal which some mod with a stop I understand.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #83
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

with DCT being an extra $3900 it was an easy win for the manual. It shifts beautifully and rev matching is awesome. The way cars seem to be going and the manual dying a slow death I will drive it while I still can and keep my 4 grand. DCT with a .2 of a second 0-60 is irrelevant in the grand scheme. I can't think of any other reason for dct other than faster shifts. I know others have mentioned traffic etc. so unfortunately OP your question is fairly subjective but I think you have a ton of opinions to read through at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #84
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
with DCT being an extra $3900 it was an easy win for the manual. It shifts beautifully and rev matching is awesome. The way cars seem to be going and the manual dying a slow death I will drive it while I still can and keep my 4 grand. DCT with a .2 of a second 0-60 is irrelevant in the grand scheme. I can't think of any other reason for dct other than faster shifts. I know others have mentioned traffic etc. so unfortunately OP your question is fairly subjective but I think you have a ton of opinions to read through at this point.
Well at this point the decision is final since the car is going into production soon.

My train of thought is the same as yours. For 4K, I would rather save that money and put it towards other mods. If it was a no cost option or even 1K, I think I would've opted for the DCT though.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #85
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
Well at this point the decision is final since the car is going into production soon.

My train of thought is the same as yours. For 4K, I would rather save that money and put it towards other mods. If it was a no cost option or even 1K, I think I would've opted for the DCT though.
In Australia, you can opt for the M2 Pure - which is manual only AND comes with fewer frills (in some ways like the base car the M Performance US spec is based on before they add the M Performance kit but you get to choose the color) and save yourself $10k!

Thats what I ended up getting. Then proceeded to spend that difference (I suspect more) on the M Performance exhaust system and the M Performance Alcantara wheel with LED display. Yes BMWs are pricier in Australia
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #86
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Buy a manual so you can post how long the clutch is before it engages or how soft the pedal feels, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #87
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Quote:
In Australia, you can opt for the M2 Pure - which is manual only AND comes with fewer frills (in some ways like the base car the M Performance US spec is based on before they add the M Performance kit but you get to choose the color) and save yourself $10k!

Thats what I ended up getting. Then proceeded to spend that difference (I suspect more) on the M Performance exhaust system and the M Performance Alcantara wheel with LED display. Yes BMWs are pricier in Australia
Well, when I think about it...instead of getting the DCT, I put that money towards the MPE and part of my sunroof
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #88
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Here's another question / possible plus for DCT - does BMW offer remote-start via ConnectedDrive / iOS app (or even by the keyfob)? If so, presumably this is only an option on DCT cars and not with a stick?
it's certainly possible to install remote start technology on a MT car.
The owner simply should take care not to ever leave the transmission in gear and leave the parking brake on. This has been the case since the advent of remote start technology..
Appreciate 0