BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Which number is first?

05-13-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

Which number is first?

Which comes first, the production number or the VIN number? I'm ordering for the second time due to the first getting damaged and I only got the VIN the first time around once the car was almost to the port. My guy says he is waiting for final confirmation from his rep before giving me the VIN. Should he already have a production number that I can look up?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
Which comes first, the production number or the VIN number? I'm ordering for the second time due to the first getting damaged and I only got the VIN the first time around once the car was almost to the port. My guy says he is waiting for final confirmation from his rep before giving me the VIN. Should he already have a production number that I can look up?
Production number first and then the VIN shortly before production starts.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's interesting. I'll have to ask the dealer for the production number. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
stripecheck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
It will be on the top left of your build sheet
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's pretty unnerving that everyone seems to have their production numbers right away and I have to request things like a production number or VIN.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The VIN actually is not established until the body is built and engraved with it, I was surprised to learn this but what I was told is that they do this because production dates can change etc and VINs are sequential. Makes sense when you think about it. Anyway the production dates are about a 10 day period which informs the suppliers to begin production (nearly everything is produced just in time) when you get your VIN you know the body has been built and most of the time your car is fully produced before you will get the number and then the wait for the ship begins.

If you have an actual allocation they can give you the production number and you should be able to call BMW and get a projected production week. A lot of dealers take "orders" but don't have an actual allocation, when I gave my deposit it was conditional on an order number.
Appreciate 1
Kid Eh569.50
      05-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

im confused to why you need to 'get in line' again since your first was damaged... you should be expedited I would think.

..unless your dealer lied the whole time and you never had a production number to begin with... you can always call Genius and they can look you up by your info if you dont have your prod #... try that
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did get a production number this time around. The last time was my first time ordering and I did not do enough research to know that I should have gotten a production number. I did call bmw genius and asked them about expediting and he said there's no such thing. The only thing that did happen is they gave me the next available allocation they had. It's a week 23 build from what he told me. I do believe my dealership when they tell me that the first was damaged at the port. I've looked up the VIN they first gave me and I don't see any activity for that VIN.
Appreciate 1
Camo43515.50
      05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
I did get a production number this time around. The last time was my first time ordering and I did not do enough research to know that I should have gotten a production number. I did call bmw genius and asked them about expediting and he said there's no such thing. The only thing that did happen is they gave me the next available allocation they had. It's a week 23 build from what he told me. I do believe my dealership when they tell me that the first was damaged at the port. I've looked up the VIN they first gave me and I don't see any activity for that VIN.
Could they verify that the last one was damaged like you were told? They should be able to find the old produciton number I meant (which i doubt existed).
Appreciate 0